Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Ride to the border with Mexico on street tires,
Leave the street tires with someone there, or hotel, or shop,
Change to Maxxis Desert IT,
Ride into Mexico and engage the moment,
Ride back N to the border,
Slap back on the street tires.
I'd bring an extra stator, big camelbak, and take lots of fotos.

Option 2 at the border, change to Neutech tubliss system with the Maxxis tire change and plug your flats. Translation no more pinch flats=no pinche flats.

Disclaimer: I've never been to Baja, but I have been to Mexico once or twice on a KLX400R, same bike as DRZ400E.

Disclaimer: No one was harmed, decapitated, kidnapped, or molested in any manner in the above.

Kiko screwed with this post 08-29-2014 at 06:44 AM
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:09 AM   #24407
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
+1 Neutec system! I just put them on on my WR450. I hate patching tires in the hot tropical sun
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #24408
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by borscht zanetti View Post
Looking to head into Baja for about three weeks in mid April. I will be riding my DRZ400 solo down from British Columbia and back with about 5 weeks to do the round trip

I am a little concerned with tire wear, given the distances and toying with the idea of hauling an extra rear down with me and perhaps stashing it for 'just in case' need, perhaps somewhere in San Felipe. Has anyone done this and is there a motel or campground owner who might be willing to do this? Or should I just stash it in the desert somewhere?
That last idea, toss it

Start with fresh tires and keep an eye on them, you should be good while you're down there. If worst comes to worst, hit Mx 1 and head home.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #24409
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Planning on riding/visiting West Texas and Mexico next month strictly on paved roads( I ride a Harley Davidson). San Antonio, The Sisters, Big Bend National Park, Boquillas del Carmen, Ojinaga and Peguis Canyon are on my list of places of interest. I realize that this site is tilted toward the dual sport riders but I have gleaned a lot of useful info while searching and 'lurking' here. Has anyone been to any of the Mexico destinations recently? Any recent info would be appreciated i.e. restaurants, road conditions etc.
I have found in my travels that there is nothing like recent or local knowledge.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #24410
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
Planning on riding/visiting West Texas and Mexico next month strictly on paved roads( I ride a Harley Davidson).

San Antonio,
The Sisters,
Big Bend National Park,
Boquillas del Carmen,
Ojinaga
and Peguis Canyon

....are on my list of places of interest. I realize that this site is tilted toward the dual sport riders but I have gleaned a lot of useful info while searching and 'lurking' here. Has anyone been to any of the Mexico destinations recently? Any recent info would be appreciated i.e. restaurants, road conditions etc.
I have found in my travels that there is nothing like recent or local knowledge.
Hola Joe

I've been to all the locales on your list, on both sides of the border, in recent times. Your HD will take you everywhere on that list and you'll have a great time. Boqullas, of course, is a boat ride across the Rio Grande and a horseback ride up into town.

If you're just thinking about going into Mexico as far as Peguis to see the canyon, then you won't need a TVIP or a tourist card. You could expand well into Mexico (Chihuahua, Sonora) on the Harley but beware the route I would recommend would probably be beyond the range of your tank.

You will want take Ranch Road 170 up to Presidio, and, and I highly recommend this, to Marfa. Loop back around Alpine and back to Terlingua and have dinner at the Starlight. That'll be your Big Bend experience HQ. In addition to Boquillas, don't miss Santa Elena Canyon and the ride up to Chisos Basin.

And don't take I-10 out from San Antonio to the Park. Take 90 out through Del Rio.

Be aware that the Leakey VFD sets up camp on the weekends due to the many wrecks on the Sisters. Lots of decreasing radius turns, especially on 336. Throttle back and take it easy. I'd avoid those roads on the weekends if I were you. Go during the week when they'll be much less crowded. After Labor Day during the week you might even have the Sisters to yourself.

Here is a much farther route into Mexico that Jimmex and I did last October. This one will take you through Sonora and into the Copper Canyon and down through Hidalgo del Parral and up through Chihuahua (city) and out through Ojinaga/Presidio. Remember what I said about the gas situation, however.

Suerte

Old 08-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #24411
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,696
5 Preguntas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
+1 Neutec system! I just put them on on my WR450. I hate patching tires in the hot tropical sun
How well does that work? Does the inner inner tube ever pinch? At what pressure does it run? Does it get hot on pavement? Where ya been?
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #24412
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Hola Joe

I've been to all the locales on your list, on both sides of the border, in recent times. Your HD will take you everywhere on that list and you'll have a great time. Boqullas, of course, is a boat ride across the Rio Grande and a horseback ride up into town.

If you're just thinking about going into Mexico as far as Peguis to see the canyon, then you won't need a TVIP or a tourist card. You could expand well into Mexico (Chihuahua, Sonora) on the Harley but beware the route I would recommend would probably be beyond the range of your tank.

You will want take Ranch Road 170 up to Presidio, and, and I highly recommend this, to Marfa. Loop back around Alpine and back to Terlingua and have dinner at the Starlight. That'll be your Big Bend experience HQ. In addition to Boquillas, don't miss Santa Elena Canyon and the ride up to Chisos Basin.

And don't take I-10 out from San Antonio to the Park. Take 90 out through Del Rio.

Be aware that the Leakey VFD sets up camp on the weekends due to the many wrecks on the Sisters. Lots of decreasing radius turns, especially on 336. Throttle back and take it easy. I'd avoid those roads on the weekends if I were you. Go during the week when they'll be much less crowded. After Labor Day during the week you might even have the Sisters to yourself.

Here is a much farther route into Mexico that Jimmex and I did last October. This one will take you through Sonora and into the Copper Canyon and down through Hidalgo del Parral and up through Chihuahua (city) and out through Ojinaga/Presidio. Remember what I said about the gas situation, however.

Suerte

Thank you Bob, once again you come through with valuable information. I also plan on spending time in San Antonio sightseeing, Riverwalk and the Alamo etc. perhaps we could meet for a cocktail or two or.... and we could talk my riding buddy into a Copper Canyon visit
Old 08-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #24413
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Just lemme know
Old 08-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #24414
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Just lemme know
Will do, thanks again.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #24415
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
Planning on riding/visiting West Texas and Mexico next month strictly on paved roads( I ride a Harley Davidson). San Antonio, The Sisters, Big Bend National Park, Boquillas del Carmen, Ojinaga and Peguis Canyon are on my list of places of interest. I realize that this site is tilted toward the dual sport riders but I have gleaned a lot of useful info while searching and 'lurking' here. Has anyone been to any of the Mexico destinations recently? Any recent info would be appreciated i.e. restaurants, road conditions etc.
Marfa has a great food truck called "Food Shark" on S. Highland. The restaurant in Chisos Basin has very good bison burgers. I had a 2010 FLHTK I rode to the hot springs in the park and led a DS group down 170 to Ojinaga and Peguis Canyon. You should have a great time. Which Harley do you ride?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:20 AM   #24416
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Marfa has a great food truck called "Food Shark" on S. Highland. The restaurant in Chisos Basin has very good bison burgers. I had a 2010 FLHTK I rode to the hot springs in the park and led a DS group down 170 to Ojinaga and Peguis Canyon. You should have a great time. Which Harley do you ride?
Thank you for the tips.
I ride a FXSTC which I bought brand new in 1995 and ridden most of the U.S. , portions of Canada and now Mexico. I've had it so long and it has served me so well that I can't part with it.

October 2012 White Sands National Monument

Joe Mc screwed with this post 08-30-2014 at 06:47 AM
Old 08-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #24417
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

From Our Free Stuff Department

Based upon comments on and requests for additional appendices I've received pertaining to the

Free MEXICO Guide (clickable link)

...at the front of the thread, the guide will again be expanded, much of it with contributions by others. Keep the PMs coming.

By request, I'll be adding the following:

Appendix H: Tips and Tricks on Learning Spanish

coming soon

Comments on language schools; home study materials; observations on Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur study methods; why making an effort to speak Spanish counts; a handy list of Spanish words related to motorcycle parts

Appendix I: When Things Stop Going According To Plan

coming soon

Most common causes for motorcycle trouble; what is in your Mexico specific insurance policy; Mexico's bus network; find a truck; emergency communications with home; finding tires; war stories of the misfortunate

Appendix J: Photography (and Video) in Mexico

coming soon

Why you need to bring a camera; keeping it handy; taking great photographs with the camera you have now; an interview with MikeMike; post processing; GoPro and cameras like it; photo hosting sites; recommended camera settings; why you don't need a DSLR; what you can do with a DSLR

Appendix K: Classic Mexico Ride Reports

coming soon

Title says it all. An appendix of links....links to some of the best all-time reads of travel in Mexico here on ADV and perhaps from elsewhere. Interesting places. Reports with great narrative and/or great photography. Pioneering women rider tales. Eye opening forays into one of the most beautiful and culturally diverse countries on earth - Mexico!

Old 08-30-2014, 06:30 AM   #24418
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

PS The guide is funded in part by kickbacks I receive from Sjoerd Bakker for continually pushing for, and providing links to, his handy guide to cheap Mexico hotels
Old 08-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #24419
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
How well does that work? Does the inner inner tube ever pinch? At what pressure does it run? Does it get hot on pavement?
I have only had it for one ride but so far the Nuetech system works great. It gives the tire a nice stiff sidewall while allowing me to run low pressure (15 PSI). Unlike the Moose system it doesnt wear out and you can adjust the tire pressure. In full disclosure, on the first ride out I did knock the tire off the seal and have to re-inflate but I was supposed to use the system starting with new tires and I used 50% used tires. It should seal better with fresh unmounted tires. I didnt know that street riding was an issue with Nuetech? I don't see why it would be? I think just with Moose.

As far as pinching the inner tube. I am not too worried about it. The inner tube is very tough. Even with shredded unrepairable flat tire I think you could ride a long time on just the inner tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Where ya been?
I have been around. Mostly riding dirt with SR Jr. RW66 and I are trying to nail down a date for a 3 day loop from ZAC or DGO across the Sierra down to NAY and back. Sometime here in the next couple of months if anyone is interested. Fall riding is coming up!

Reporting from overcast MAZ where like California the surf is unusually big and fun to play in!

SR screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 08:45 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #24420
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Joe Mc

The route Trice suggests is a great starter for somebody getting their
first taste of Mexico. If it was me I would figure on giving it a week to ride in comfort and to absorb it.
The map shows no side excursions but a really good side trip you should not miss is the ride from CREEL to DIVISADERO , maybe as far as San Rafael. It is a delightful twisting mountain road and follows the route of the Chihuahua- Pacific RR , easy to do in one hour of riding ONE WAY. Then you must absolutely stop on the way back for the views over the canyon at DIVISADERO railroad station and the fancy hotels there , two excellent vista points.And that could keep you hanging around for quite awhile .
Your bike will have no problem with the routes although it might be a bit
annoyed with the section going north from Mex 16 at the green box marker 104 if you miss your proper turnoff point near San Nicolas.The road was paved last time I went that way but it had a lot of dirt on it from collapsed cuts through hills, could get tricky if it rains if a hurricane front manages to move in that far, it can happen .

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 08-30-2014 at 08:09 AM Reason: Correct 104 & delete quote of a map which did not show up anyway
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote