Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #241
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Just for grins and giggles, I've ridden or driven all of Rt. 2 from Ciudad Acuna/Del Rio, TX down to Piedras Negras/Eagle Pass, TX and from Laredo, TX/Nuevo Laredo, TAM to Matamoros, TAM/Brownsville, TX. And all that I can say is that the traffic is likely to get you long before the banditos do.

Some of those roads are pretty narrow and have a lot of high speed truck traffic on them. When we drove between Ciudad Acuna to Piedras Negras a few months ago they were widening the road...
I have been on some segments of MEX2 and concur but I think the roads are generally okay. Locals, however, have advised to stay off of MEX2 at night, but generally I don't ride at night anyways. There's also lots of improvements being done on the road from Cd. Acuna to Allende. I like that ride as it takes you through some nice small towns.

Quote:
...Ciudad Mier has been discussed a few times as a place that it might not be wise to be bar hopping after dark...
As you know, Mier has been 'trouble' since the war with Texas I mean even Fidel Castro smuggled his US bought guns from Mier before putting them on the Granma and sailing back to Cuba. Anyways, Mier is now a Pueblo Magico and is a good place to study Tex/US/Mexico history. It's on my list when I come down to see you along with the Los Ebanos ferry.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #242
DirtyDR650
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
ooops, I meant gunwomen, the rouge part was correct

Good attention to detail, though
In that case, sorry I missed it.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #243
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja

As you know, Mier has been 'trouble' since the war with Texas I mean even Fidel Castro smuggled his US bought guns from Mier before putting them on the Granma and sailing back to Cuba. Anyways, Mier is now a Pueblo Magico and is a good place to study Tex/US/Mexico history. It's on my list when I come down to see you along with the Los Ebanos ferry.

Yup.

Despite the warnings I'd like to hit the area. Just that we'd probably do it initially during the daytime and then get the hell out of town at night and regroup.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #244
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredak
This thread is funny!...
It's supposed to be funny!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #245
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yup.

Despite the warnings I'd like to hit the area. Just that we'd probably do it initially during the daytime and then get the hell out of town at night and regroup.
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing a tour more oriented to the Texas side for attractions around Rio Grande City, then riding down to Los Ebanos and crossing there. Then ride up and lunch at Mier, catch a church or museum, stuff about the Black Bean, then back across. Dunno when.

Hey can I do Guerrero Viejo with street tires?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #246
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing a tour more oriented to the Texas side for attractions around Rio Grande City, then riding down to Los Ebanos and crossing there. Then ride up and lunch at Mier, catch a church or museum, stuff about the Black Bean, then back across. Dunno when.

Hey can I do Guerrero Viejo with street tires?

Street tires ... but better bring along a raft. The word right now is that the lake level is back up

The trip is about 45 minutes of this but no really steep hills or anything; it's all rock, no sand to speak of. I'd do it on my Metzler dualsport tires:

Old 02-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #247
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Street tires ... but better bring along a raft. The word right now is that the lake level is back up

The trip is about 45 minutes of this but no really steep hills or anything; it's all rock, no sand to speak of. I'd do it on my Metzler dualsport tires:
Okay, done that with street. Sand and gravel is where I have the problem. So the lake is back up? Bummer. Really liked that article of yours. It has stuck with me. There was an old cattle trail here called the Sedalia Trail. The jump-off town at the Red River for that trail is now submerged as well. They moved the cemetery to the high ground and then the Corps of Engineers flooded the town.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #248
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Okay, done that with street. Sand and gravel is where I have the problem. So the lake is back up? Bummer. Really liked that article of yours. It has stuck with me. There was an old cattle trail here called the Sedalia Trail. The jump-off town at the Red River for that trail is now submerged as well. They moved the cemetery to the high ground and then the Corps of Engineers flooded the town.

We can evaluate when you get here. Is Mexico - if it really gets too high to cross with a motorcycle I wouldn't be too surprised if someone starts a ferry service with a small boat. There are, after all, some families farming over there and they have to get in and out somehow. It might be possible to take an alternate route - looking at Google Earth I can clearly see the area that floods and see that there are alternative routes, but the gates all seemed to be locked when we were there last year.

That's me in the distance starting to go wading. There were some other folks there (like that young girl in the foreground) but they declined to drive through the water.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #249
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
For what it's worth, the biggest danger on Mexican roads are other vehicles, next come animals.
Watch out for drunk pedestrians in towns and cities.
Guia Roji maps contain some adventure producing inaccuracies.
Always use a Pemex toilet BEFORE you eat.
If you are touring through Mexico, scan all your documents and email them to yourself. You can find an internet cafe and print copies anywhere.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #250
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
XYmotic,
I am trying to find out who controls the roads once you get off the beaten track. Are they open, safe from robbery, safe to camp in the national parks. I don't give a damn about the traffic in the cities or life in the barrio.
Thanks,
bill
Tricepilot outlined it fairly well. As well listen to what sredak has to say, he lives in the thick of narco country.

I'm pretty much a dirt bike guy so I have ridden plenty of routes off the beaten path, though the closer you get to Arizona and California (border states with a huge population of gringo off-roaders) the off the beaten path can get a little busy. 100 to 300 miles south of the border is very remote, and far enough from the border that that you will generally only be crossing smuggling corridors and some random pot farms, meth labs etc. Although the meth cookers are pretty well hidden but you can smell em long before you see em.

I am assuming that you want to know who controls areas like these..........

Well the answer to that is easy. Its run by this crew here..............

Dont let em fool you, they are highly dangerous, especially that little guy in the lower left.

Seriously though, you wont have problems of the two legged kind. If you run up on some narcos, they will want to you leave, pronto. they wont make small talk, they will simply tell you to move along, nothing to see here....... You may see some of them carrying some pretty impressive hardware as well like Uzi and M16 variants as well as HK, the high dollar good stuff. Just act like your a dumb lost gringo and you dont even know whats going on. Smile, say gracias a million times and get the hell out of their way.

You really shouldnt have any trouble unless you want it. I dont know if there is a rule that says dont mess with tourists. Rather I think the rule among the trafficantes is dont do anything stupid that will be bad for business....

There are areas in Sinaloa, Durango, Michoacan and others, where the cartels are the law. When people have problems they go to the cartel folks, not the cops. However, you must remember that although these dudes dont want trouble with you, narco folks are generally not nice people. They would just as soon shoot you as look at you, but like i said, they dont shoot you because its bad for business.

I guess there is always that possibility that you could amble up and see something going down that you shouldnt have, but that is pretty unlikely I think. Stay frosty at all times, have fun, just dont be dumb.

The Sierra Madre is an awesome place with awesome riding. Chech out some great pics from Tricepilot's Sierra Madre RR. "Badges? We dont need no stinkin' badges."

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-15-2010 at 01:32 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #251
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
Just act like you're a dumb lost gringo

Who the hell is acting?

God often looks out for the stupid ... which pretty well describes any of us that are motorcycling around a strange country.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #252
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...God often looks out for the stupid ...
M-O-O-N

Old 02-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #253
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by sredak
Fortunately the closest Starbucks to my house is down the Espinazo del Diablo to Mazatlan. You gotsta do what you gotsta do!
You're a better man than I. Riding that road is one of the most nerve wracking things I have ever done. Rain...... and fog so thick you cant see 10 meters in front of you, back to back semi's taking up all the pavement as they come around a wet curve, and there's nowhere to go except over the edge...........

no thanks.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #254
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
the road from La Purima to Comandu'? Impressive on the pigs Butt kicker on a thumper.
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #255
patsymack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
You're a better man than I. Riding that road is one of the most nerve wracking things I have ever done. Rain...... and fog so thick you cant see 10 meters in front of you, back to back semi's taking up all the pavement as they come around a wet curve, and there's nowhere to go except over the edge...........

no thanks.
We road that road around FEB.6 GREAT road except for the trucks fog drizzly rain did I mention the trucks.The temps were also 40f.Lots of construction going on in the area.
Patsy
patsymack is offline   Reply With Quote