PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Fixed
Shhhhhh ...

Remember the motto: "Better riding through chemistry"

Seriously, the US teams used to get sick regularly during the 70's, when I was a young bicycle racer. We would have guys win one day and drop out the next because they had the runs. When I first went to Mexico I rang up an old friend who used to be the US coach for Juniors (high schoolers) and Women and asked him what they were doing differently, and he basically said "nothing" and that it was a mystery as to why the riders no longer got ill.

Just as a bit of Mexican trivia Eddy Merckx's legendary Hour Record (how far you can ride in a hour from a standing start) was set on a wooden outdoor track in Mexico City. I think the track has since been torn down (if anyone knows otherwise I'd be interested in knowing). Merckx, who was arguably the greatest rider of all times and born in Belgium, went to Mexico City on the theory that the wind resistance would be less because of the altitude. He trained extensively on an indoor trainer using an oxygen mask to duplicate the conditions.

PirateJohn screwed with this post 05-15-2011 at 09:30 AM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #3377
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
1972 in Mexico City?
If the poor bugger tried it today, you'd be lucky to even see him in the haze.
Those days in February when the climate inversions happen mean you can't see 3 blocks in the Zona Rosa.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #3378
PirateJohn
Banned

I understand that Merckx smokes today. He probably did at the end of his career too, and it's traditional for a super champion to go out by attempting to set the Hour Record.

So those Gitanes probably prepared him for the air in Mexico City.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #3379
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
The babe will not make it to Mexico for now., She is just a bike
That is very, very sad.

On other subjects, I was at the local Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer looking at bikes. I hate to admit it, but a KLR is growing on me for semi-offroad Mexican stuff. There is a 50/50 chance that I'm going to get called to work the flooded areas around the Mississippi for FEMA and if that happens I should be able to buy one without too much trouble.

Which brings me to the point. How is Kawasaki and Yamaha parts availability in Mexico? The new Yamaha Tenere has my attention. I presume that the KLR would be pretty easy to service, at least around this part of Mexico.

Incidentally, someone is running a Craigslist announcement here in the Valley saying that we are getting a Triumph dealer here soon. I presume that getting a Triumph serviced in Mexico would be next to impossible ... about like a BMW or a Ducati.

Opinions?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #3380
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,098
When I told my H-D "owner on site" that I was looking for a DS bike to ride Mexico he told me to get a KLR. Probably no better bike for getting serviced in Latin America and new-noncurrent bikes are available at good prices. Look at '09 or newer. Happy hunting.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 10:08 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #3381
abogado68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
As everyone famously knows, it's not that Mexican water is bad, it's that gringos just have weak stomachs.

Seriously, the standards have changed. The cycling teams that we (in the USA) used to send to Mexico and Central and South America 20 years ago would regularly get sick, but that no longer happens and as I understand things they don't do anything special these days.

Don Juan "El Pirata",

You can get anything down here, don't worry about it. One question for you, how much is a new Zx-14 and Hayabusa going for in thr Rio Grand area?

Gracias,

Raul.
abogado68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #3382
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
That is very, very sad.

On other subjects, I was at the local Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer looking at bikes. I hate to admit it, but a KLR is growing on me for semi-offroad Mexican stuff. There is a 50/50 chance that I'm going to get called to work the flooded areas around the Mississippi for FEMA and if that happens I should be able to buy one without too much trouble.

Which brings me to the point. How is Kawasaki and Yamaha parts availability in Mexico? The new Yamaha Tenere has my attention. I presume that the KLR would be pretty easy to service, at least around this part of Mexico.

Incidentally, someone is running a Craigslist announcement here in the Valley saying that we are getting a Triumph dealer here soon. I presume that getting a Triumph serviced in Mexico would be next to impossible ... about like a BMW or a Ducati.

Opinions?
BMW would be the easiest to get serviced i think. There are quite a few BMW moto dealers that could take care of it. The super tenere will be sold in Mexico from what ive been told. However i dont think dealers will stock many parts.

One word of advice would be to stay as far away from Mcallen Motor Sports as possible. I tried, i really went out of my way to give them my business when i bought my KLR. I gathered quotes and went to them offering a couple hundred $ more than the quotes that i had gathered. They pretty much told me to get lost. It was as if they were insulted. I ended up getting my bike OTD for over a thousand cheaper than their sticker price. About $2200 cheaper than the OTD price from MMS. I wouldnt trust their shop for service.

Of course there are a lot of KLRs down here, and we can set you up with the needed mods like the doo-hickey.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #3383
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
BMW would be the easiest to get serviced i think. There are quite a few BMW moto dealers that could take care of it. The super tenere will be sold in Mexico from what ive been told. However i dont think dealers will stock many parts.

One word of advice would be to stay as far away from Mcallen Motor Sports as possible. I tried, i really went out of my way to give them my business when i bought my KLR. I gathered quotes and went to them offering a couple hundred $ more than the quotes that i had gathered. They pretty much told me to get lost. It was as if they were insulted. I ended up getting my bike OTD for over a thousand cheaper than their sticker price. About $2200 cheaper than the OTD price from MMS. I wouldnt trust their shop for service.

Of course there are a lot of KLRs down here, and we can set you up with the needed mods like the doo-hickey.
Yeah, stay away from them. On Jan 2010, I took my KLR for the electric recalls, and they missed the front signal lights. what happend next? in a middle of pretty heavy rain while commuting, a short circuit came and the bike did let me down in the middle of a river-street. main fuse blown, wires burned under the dashboard.. you name it.

I fixed myself later and finding other problems they supossed to have corrected...

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #3384
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abogado68 View Post
Don Juan "El Pirata",

You can get anything down here, don't worry about it. One question for you, how much is a new Zx-14 and Hayabusa going for in thr Rio Grand area?

Gracias,

Raul.

Raul, as you probably know, in the USA there is the "list price" for certain motorcycles and there is the negotiated price; on many bikes (not all!) the negotiated price is much less than the list price.

Looking on Kawasaki's web site the ZX-14 lists for $13,599. That at http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/kawa...reg/zx-14.html

On Suzuki's site they say the price is $13,699. That's at http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...00R.aspx#Specs

Looking on Craigslist I don't see any local ZX-14's. I do see a 2001 'busa for $6,000 and a 2008 for $8,000. Both are in the McAllen/Edinburg area.

If you are looking for a bike and need any help then let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #3385
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post

Opinions?
There opening a Ducati dealership in Monterrey as we speak[/QUOTE]

BMW bike dealer there too. Closer than San Antonio, I might add.

Not too long ago there was a Ducati dealer in McAllen. I know, because I walked in the door to get info on the new Multistrada and they were taking the signs down at the same time.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #3386
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

One word of advice would be to stay as far away from Mcallen Motor Sports as possible.
Wonderful.

Three guesses where I was at.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #3387
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Yeah, stay away from them. On Jan 2010, I took my KLR for the electric recalls, and they missed the front signal lights. what happend next? in a middle of pretty heavy rain while commuting, a short circuit came and the bike did let me down in the middle of a river-street. main fuse blown, wires burned under the dashboard.. you name it.

I fixed myself later and finding other problems they supossed to have corrected...
I forgot about the bad experience you had with them. Just in case you didnt know, 802 motorsports is owned by the same guy. You should expect the same treatment there. Look around on CL and on ebaymotors. There are some dealers here in TX that are selling them for good prices. Of course, the dealer i bought mine at in AZ was advertising 2011 models for $4700 a few weeks back! They made the process easy. I paid for the bike while i was still in Mexico. Picked it up a month later. I was at the dealer just as long as it took me to sign the papers and load the bike in the truck.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #3388
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wonderful.

Three guesses where I was at.
I really dont like going there. Rarely are there good deals. Once they had a KLX250S with 100 miles for a real good price. Other than that, its not worth the time.

After i bought my bike i took the invoice to the salesman i had been working with to show him that it was possible to get that kind of a price on a bike, and it was sitting in the parking lot as proof. He gave me this long story that what i paid for my bike including shipping and assembly was less than what they pay for their KLRs. He asked for a copy so he could show the manager. Not sure if it was related, but I havent seen that salesman since.

You might want to contact the dealer in Laredo. They seemed like a decent place. Also, there are still some 09s leftover for some good deals, might be some in TX still. Not really any differences other than the colors/graphics.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #3389
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
I really dont like going there. Rarely are there good deals. Once they had a KLX250S with 100 miles for a real good price. Other than that, its not worth the time.

After i bought my bike i took the invoice to the salesman i had been working with to show him that it was possible to get that kind of a price on a bike, and it was sitting in the parking lot as proof. He gave me this long story that what i paid for my bike including shipping and assembly was less than what they pay for their KLRs. He asked for a copy so he could show the manager. Not sure if it was related, but I havent seen that salesman since.

You might want to contact the dealer in Laredo. They seemed like a decent place. Also, there are still some 09s leftover for some good deals, might be some in TX still. Not really any differences other than the colors/graphics.

Interesting!

I dunno ... I have mixed emotions. The KLRs make tremendous sense (after all, y'all have them ... I could steal parts like a vulture if I got stranded ) but I also keep looking at the prices of used R1100GS's and R1150GS's.

Frankly, I need to fix the R1150GS first ... or so my rational side tells me.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 AM   #3390
abogado68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
That is very, very sad.

Opinions?
Actually there are Triumph dealerships all over Mexico, as Can am and Polaris and Victory and Indian and Mv Augusta and Aprilia. There are also very good bike mechanics that work on all of these bikes.
abogado68 is offline   Reply With Quote