Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #3916
K0ncept
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
It's seriously like rolling the Dice, I love Mexico, have been going down there for years, Love the Riding, the Surfing, and most of the people...

Worst thing that ever happened to myself, it was a few years back, roughly 2-3am and we were heading toward San Miguel, we were just about 20 mins south out of Ensanada when we ran into this impromptu checkpoint, complete with saw horse stop sign's setup in the roadway. As we approched I could see this was not the "Regular" Policia, these guys were Federalies or they borrowed the Jumpsuits and Machineguns.. We had 2 vehicles with us, both of them piles of crap, 2 older toyota pickups packed with surfboards camping gear.. When we pulled up Blue Jumpsuit #1 just pointed us to the side of the road, we pulled over to a little area they had setup... Once we were stopped we were pulled out of the trucks and searched and the we were all kinda bunched standing together..... They searched the crap out of the trucks and found nothing, so one of them comes over and says they need to take the trucks to an Inspection house and this is going to take at least three days for them to complete the search.. All the while I have this fucking 14 year old with an M16 just standing there pointing it at me, I swear some of these guys were super young lol.. So as were thinking WTF are we going to do, my buddy comes up and asks, what will it take for us to avoid this "inspection" or basicially they are jacking our shit! The guy starts laughing and says, ok, 2000 dollars cash! My buddy bargins, comes over, we pool all of our funds between the 4 of us and come up with 500 bucks, this took a while for the guy to accept, but it really was all we had... Before he let us go, he took a fucking toolchest, 2 pairs of sun glasses...

While im glad we werent shot and thrown off the cliff, I was still PISSED AS ALL MIGHTY HELL for being jacked for all my cash, just to keep a POS Pickup Truck and Gear or most of it anyway, before this little thing happened, I had never had anything happen to me period...

Worst I have seen for someone other than myself, " Diff Trip[" was coming back north just shy of like K55 when a woman and a man were standing in the middle of the road flagging us down... This chick was fuming! Seem's her and her boyfriend were on the beach all alone having a good time when three amigo's rolled up on them armed and dangerous like, took the ladies purse, keys, jewlery, beat the crap out of the guy... She's screaming we can catch them, that her car is or was parked not far up the road.. We load them in and haul ass, prepared to run the fookers over if need be, as we round the bend where her car was supposed to be was nothing :( We pulled over, only tire tracks leading back onto the highway... I ask her if she wants to go to the policia, she says no way, she wants out, back to the border ASAP, we took her as far as the Rosita Beach Motel, she would be safe there, left them with a few dollars to get going, I really felt bad for this girl too, I guess they were having sex when these guys rolled up, and as they were being robbed they made her stay naked and did a few things to her, like I said she was pretty twisted up but remained strong..

I dont go down there much anymore, the policia are kewl, but man these so called "Federalies" lol, you never know who they are working for, or if there are even real or not.

K0ncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #3917
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbman View Post
Me and few of my friends were planning a trip to Mexico next Spring, which we just canceled since the Boss of one of my friends whom I was planning the trip with, had his head bashed in (killed!) in Purerto Vallarta a few weeks ago. Apparently he wasn't real fond of giving up everything he had on his person, and they killed him. I'm not saying he should have put up a fight, but do I really want to put myself in the same situation if I can avoid it?

Nope, Id rather go somewhere else with my GS and my friends and have a good time. I can imagine a scenario where some jackhole would like to take "ownership" of my bike and leave me either stranded of worse.

Until Mexico gets their shit together and stops acting like an F'ing 3rd world crap hole, I'm staying out. Hey, but that's just me!
It's completely understandable that you would cancel your trip after such a tragic incident and I'm sorry it happened, Hubbman.

Incidents like this occur in cities across the USA every week, as well. Recently two British tourists were gunned down in Florida for simply missing their turn while walking to their hotel. Utterly senseless.

Hopefully we'll see things improve in Mexico soon.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #3918
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

D00d!!

No disrespect, K0ncept, but for me your story begins and ends with, "...roughly 2-3am and we were heading toward San Miguel......."

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 08-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #3919
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Until Mexico gets their shit together and stops acting like an F'ing 3rd world crap hole, I'm staying out. Hey, but that's just me!
HELP ! too many junkies here in the USA demanding shit, acting like ....1st world crap hole[/QUOTE]

Po........po......ca.........TE........pe.......tl

Old 08-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #3920
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0ncept View Post
it was a few years back, roughly 2-3am and we were heading toward San Miguel,

That was your first mistake. On the bright side you learned from it.

On another note, you know that things are heating up when the protocol of the military changes from a patrol of 3 pickups with one having the machine gun mounted in the back to 3 pickups with 2 of them having the machine gun mounted in the back.
There was a video on YouTube of the shootout that happened near my wife's office back in March in the early morning hours. You could clearly hear the AK-47 rounds and then you hear VERY CLEARLY the difference in the rounds from the machine gun. You could also hear one of the soldiers yelling at an idiot taxi driver who drove into the path of the military that if he didn't get out of the way the soldier would shoot him himself.
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSOyCXyhzi0
If you speak Spanish, listen carefully at the exchange around the 47sec mark with the "no mames" comment.
That page has links to the other videos of other shootouts here.
That particular one had a personal note to it that I will share with anyone passing through here.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:03 AM   #3921
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,364
Not to question your word, but, a 14 yr old ? An early enlistee? By federalle do you mean a soldier or the Federal Police? I have seen plenty of soldiers that looked near to the "just got in" age ,but never a "14 yr old looking " Federal Police officer...
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #3922
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Not to question your word, but, a 14 yr old ? An early enlistee? By federalle do you mean a soldier or the Federal Police? I have seen plenty of soldiers that looked near to the "just got in" age ,but never a "14 yr old looking " Federal Police officer...

Prob weren't cops at all and that's part of the problem. You have cartel guy's that run around looking like the police and you don't have any idea who you are dealing with.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #3923
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_708 View Post
Prob weren't cops at all and that's part of the problem. You have cartel guy's that run around looking like the police and you don't have any idea who you are dealing with.
We have a link for this
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #3924
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Mandatory military service is still the rule for teenaged Mexican males unless they use the "bola negra" trick.
They do a lot of marching and more marching but it wouldn't be out of the question that one could have enlisted and still look like a young teenager.
There are also 2 Federales, the police one and the Federales de Caminos highway cops.
Big differences. One of the inmates here was with me last month when a guy who looked like he was 16 asked us for a ride at a Pemex and he was handling a rifle with the barrel held on by a hose clamp. Good kid, was a member of the municipal police for the zone near El Tropico on the way to Catemaco on the coast highway. A few of the guys at the check point past Sontecomapan look a little wet behind the ears, too.
Besides, we all know that age is only a frame of mind. Some of us look like we are as old as Methuselah or Santa Claus but act like kids, at least I do!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #3925
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
With all due respect (or no respect)!!!

If I hear one more retarded reference to the US being as bad a Mexico I'm gonna PUKE!

Listen, in the USA, you can actually go to a police station and get help. You can call a Lawyer, you can tell who the police are and who are just some a-holes acting like Police!

As far as the idiot who said he doubts my comment about my friends Boss and reasons to canceling our trip.....never mind, if I said what i really want to say I would be kicked off the site!
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #3926
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post

Bingo. There was an article somewhere not long ago that detailed how many of the cartel gangs had official uniforms but with their own insignia. Few outside the military recognize the various unit badges, so it's understandable that many think they are being accosted by the military when, in fact, it's someone else.

If it was really a 14 year old then they ran into a cartel roadblock. The minimum age to get into the Mexican Army must be somewhere around 16-18, judging by all the legit soldiers that I have chatted with.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #3927
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Responding to Hubbman, power down. The people are simply telling you that it is nowhere near as bad here as the US media makes it out to be.
I should know. I have been living here for close to two decades and have seen changes. Prior to that I lived in Canada where yes, law enforcement usually works. If you read some of my posts you will see what it took for me to caution a heads up for travelers coming through and how safe things are in the out of the way places.
There is no difference between say the backwoods of Idaho or Montana and the out of the way places in Mexico.
You are often your own law enforcement and you get yourself in and out of trouble without anyone helping out.
A big difference is that you are far less likely to find someone armed in the backwoods here in Mexico compared to the USA where you will find people carrying firearms (and rightly so I might add) in the rural areas. The only difference is the language and food. The people you will meet are usually as helpful and friendly as you will find in the US 99.9% of the time.
Urban areas are different. You can't justify the indiscriminate killing of tourists leaving the Miami airport back in the 80's as any different to the unfortunate incident that happened to your friend. It was an indiscriminate act of robbery with violence in both cases. The difference is how the crime will be resolved and justice will be served. There is no justice in Mexico and there never has been and likely never will be anything near what the US has as its standard. Same goes for the level of professionalism and resources in law enforcement and criminal investigations. It is apples and oranges.
Now, I want to ask you directly, did the American media or government give travel warnings not to visit say, Orlando or Anaheim or Seattle or Houston when tourists were being robbed and murdered in Miami? They most certainly did not.
This is a major part of the problem. The US media has totally blown out of proportion and wildly exaggerated the situation in Mexico. Sure you can bring up a hotel gas explosion in Cancun and I can remind you of the infamous fire in Las Vegas which led to a massive overhaul of hotel safety for guests in emergencies. I think you get the picture. I deplore the violence in Mexico and make no excuses for how things are regarding justice and legal standards, but I also deplore painting a picture of Mexico that is simply not true. Failing to return to Mexico because someone you know was the victim of crime on the Pacific coast makes as much sense as failing to visit Miami because someone you know was the victim of crime in Spokane.
Mexico is a huge country with tens of millions of friendly and hospitable people being held hostage by a few thousand mafia narco bad guys and corrupt politicians.
Hey, doesn't that sound like Chicago and a few other cities back in the 1920's? Chicago changed (though it is not the best example) and so can Mexico.
The good thing about Mexico is that you can pretty much do what you want.
The bad thing about Mexico is that you can pretty much do what you want.
Understand? It depends on how you think about "doing what you want", do you want to ride virgin areas with no EPA bureaucrats chasing you and suing you or do you want to rob tourists knowing you won't get caught? If you are a criminal it is a paradise, if you are an honest law abiding citizen it is also a paradise.
The good thing about your post is that it prompted me to channel my inner "Octavio Paz" with a little Fuentes thrown in for good measure.
And by the way, don't go to Miami, I know someone who was once robbed and beaten in the lobby of a luxury hotel there...film at 11, travel warning to follow...

MikeMike screwed with this post 08-18-2011 at 10:20 AM
Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #3928
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbman View Post
If I hear one more retarded reference to the US being as bad a Mexico I'm gonna PUKE!

Listen, in the USA, you can actually go to a police station and get help. You can call a Lawyer, you can tell who the police are and who are just some a-holes acting like Police!

As far as the idiot who said he doubts my comment about my friends Boss and reasons to canceling our trip.....never mind, if I said what i really want to say I would be kicked off the site!

You'd better get ready to puke, because the USA and Mexico are remarkably similar.

And I wouldn't call any of the regular posters to this thread idiots. I happen to be in the same camp - if it were actually cartel-related violence against a US citizen then it would have been major news, so there is more to the story than you are letting on. Mexican national killed? Random mugging? Involved with cartel business perhaps? Crime of revenge?

Use common sense and you will stay out of trouble in 99% of Mexico. With that said, I'd still avoid hotspots right now, but that's just a tiny fraction of the country.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #3929
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

^^ Well written piece there, MikeMike.

It's worth noting that our superior criminal justice system here in the US served those 2 Brits vacationing in Florida no better than the system in Pto. Vallarta served the American who was killed. When you're dead, you're dead. Just sayin'.........

Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #3930
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,788
Oh how I love a good party like this!

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote