User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #4411
MountaineerWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Baja 15 Sept

Myself and another rider here on ADV are getting ready to start the Baja within the next few days. Starting from San Diego, and may either cross using Tijuana or Mexicali.

Any up to date info or advice or suggestions on good places to stop that first evening?

Thanks
US Army 2006-2011; Ansbach, Germany 2007-2011; Iraq 07-08 & 09-10
MountaineerWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #4412
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Concur. I flew into Tegucigalpa's Toncontín airport, stayed in an interesting/cheap section of the city (gunfire, crooked cops, the whole noodle) and spent time working in the colonias on the city's east side.

Just the airport scores you credit: second most dangerous airport in the world, and the world's most dangerous jet capable airport.
I forgot to add the countless miles spent hitch hiking. Whenever I had to travel to Teguc from Choluteca, Danli, or San Lorenzo it was much faster to go out on the road and stick my thumb out. Guaranteed to arrive in half the time. Nothing ever happened there either.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #4413
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
I forgot to add the countless miles spent hitch hiking. .
Were you with Fonda, Hopper, and Nicholson?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #4414
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
I forgot to add the countless miles spent hitch hiking. Whenever I had to travel to Teguc from Choluteca, Danli, or San Lorenzo it was much faster to go out on the road and stick my thumb out. Guaranteed to arrive in half the time. Nothing ever happened there either.
You guys are ,are , are,
Howbout hitching it up to Comayagua ? Its a nice four laner now.
As for Teguch i know one thing . do not get near that river that passes thru town . SEWAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There's currently a water shortage in the city. Ya'll got some great stories/memories. Thanks for sharing
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #4415
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
jejejejejejejejeje
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #4416
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Estoy queriendo a una rubia
y a una morena tambien
no ayo por cual desidirme
las dos me quieren muy bien
Lucero que me aconsejas
ati que te quieren 100

El lucero desde el cielo
mejor se puso a llorar
viviendo entre tanta estrella
ninguna lo supo amar

El lucero desde el cielo
mejor se puso a llorar

Pero una estrella me dijo
¿que preguntas valedor?
agarra las dos pá pronto
para gozar del amor
con la rubia y la morena
para cambiar de sabor

El lucero desde el cielo
mejor se puso a llorar

El lucero desde el cielo
mejor se puso a llorar
viviendo entre tanta estrella
ninguna lo supo amar
el lucero desde el cielo
mejor se puso a llorar

Pero una estrella me dijo
¿que pregutas valedor?
agarra las dos pá pronto
para gozar del amor
con la rubia y la morena
para cambiar de sabor.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #4417
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

La respuesta: ambas
Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #4418
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Concur. I flew into Tegucigalpa's Toncontín airport, stayed in an interesting/cheap section of the city (gunfire, crooked cops, the whole noodle) and spent time working in the colonias on the city's east side.

Just the airport scores you credit: second most dangerous airport in the world, and the world's most dangerous jet capable airport.
I've only been to San Pedro Sula, and wasn't about to spend the night in the airport... Stayed at a hotel opposite of the church. Was an interesting but safe evening. Cheap flight for the win.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #4419
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Yep, I prefer the rubias myself... But only one at a time por favor. I do not have enough brain power for two mujeres.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #4420
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyWV View Post
Myself and another rider here on ADV are getting ready to start the Baja within the next few days. Starting from San Diego, and may either cross using Tijuana or Mexicali.

Any up to date info or advice or suggestions on good places to stop that first evening?

Thanks
Children, children...quiet down. You're ignoring the paying customers again although I suspect most experience with the regulars is on this side of Mexico, not the Baja side.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:11 AM   #4421
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Absolutely off topic

Bato's fat ass makes it to LEON via BURGOS on his redwings got to BARAJAS at 10 am the 12 nd head to BURGOS to see an old friend
DON RODRIGO el cid campeador

BARAJAS MADRID

on our way to BURGOS

Bato screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 03:17 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #4422
Navel
Omphaloskeptical

Oddometer: 152
[QUOTE=Bato;16843788]Bato's fat ass makes it to LEON via BURGOS on his redwings got to BARAJAS at 10 am the 12 nd head to BURGOS to see an old friend
DON RODRIGO el cid campeador

BARAJAS MADRID

So it´s true that some americans believe that Spain is a country in South America!!

Anyway, while on Leon check "El húmedo" area if you are looking for tapas and beers
Navel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #4423
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Navel, Bato & I return to Spain next year (Barcelona) to rent bikes and tour Europe ... see you there
Old 09-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #4424
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Children, children...quiet down. You're ignoring the paying customers again although I suspect most experience with the regulars is on this side of Mexico, not the Baja side.
Ahhhhhh, but are these not the real dangers of Mexico?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #4425
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyWV View Post

Thanks
You Texas boys on here need to get out and expand your horizons in Baja, the other Mexico.

There are lots of options.

Cross at Tecate, go east on Mex 2 and head over to Santa Veronica, go south on the compadre trail. Then depending on how much daylight you have left, camp in the bush, or head to Ojos Negros which has a couple of hotels.

From Ojos on a dirt road headed south from near the Pemex on Mex 3, you can take the Tres Hermanos route (fantastic rocky two track) to Uruapan on Mex 1. Then head south a few miles on Mex 1 to Santo Tomas. Turn onto dirt again just after the Pemex, head west, then turn south at the first major dirt road you see, go through Erendira, then pick up some great old whooped out race course down to Camalu from where many options exist including one very fine off road route that goes into the mountains near the San Pedro de Martir park or a beach run down towards San Quintin.

If you dont make the turn south to Erendira, you can continue straight to the coast at a great little camping and surf spot called Punta San Jose.

Alternatively from Santa Veronica you can go east off the Compadre trail into some really nice single track that will spit you out on the main graded dirt road that runs form La Rumorosa to Laguna Hanson. Several very nice pine forest and sand routes will take you to the famous goat trail and down into Valle De Trinidad, where you can either continue on dirt to Mikes Sky Ranch, or pick up Mex 3 and go east until you get to the whooped out sand wash entrance to Diablo dry lake, cross the entire lake bed going south, then turn east on a very fun whooped out sand road known as zoo road, that runs right into San Felipe.

Yet another very cool option is to head east on Mex 2 from Tecate, find the old Rumorosa road that drops down into Laguna Salada, then head to the hot springs at Cañon de Guadalupe. You will need at least a couple hundred mile fuel range to eventually find you way off of Laguna Salada. From time to time you can buy fuel at the little store at La Ventana, In which case you will want at least 160 mile range, but 200 is a safer bet. Watch out for very big and deep silt beds on the dry lake.

You will need a good map like the Baja Almanac to find some of these routes, but others like the single track I mentioned, you will have to find on your own.

I could go on and on and on about many other options. Do a little research. Baja is all about off the beaten path dirt, sand, rocks, cold beer and killer fish tacos at little roadside tiendas. Stay off the pavement, explore, have fun.

If you want to ride pavement just look at a map and figure out where you want to stop as there is only one paved route out of Tecate headed south (Mex 3), that goes into Ensenada. Whatever you do, IMO, crossing at Tecate is a much better, and much more mellow option than the chaos of TJ or Mexicali.

Buen viaje.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-13-2011 at 05:09 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote