Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #4576
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
No update on the tread but looking forward to hearing more about this. BTW, where the heck is Corral?
The only Corral I found looking at the map was nowhere near 97.

PS I am keeping your chairs from the BBQ under the deck here.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #4577
alphajory
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Geezer, the drug cartels, gang violence and organized crime is a problem for travellers no matter what country you are travelling in. Mexico has it problems, for sure, but it's not that much different that what you would find in any large America city. Have you seen the slums in Philly, they are not much different that those you find in any third world county and i wouldn't want to drive a bike through there and leave it parked overnight on the street.

There are places in the states that i feel less safe than any place in Mexico, how often do you hear " i ride with a gun for protection" yikes i don't ride with any weapons while in Mexico and have never felt that i needed to. What we don't hear through the media is the whole story, we get a 15 second snippet on violence that has occurred in an entire country. Will the stories of violence stop me from riding to Mexico.... no.. will i be more vigilant, yes. So ... PV in October, Baja in November, somewhere in January, back to the Baja in February.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #4578
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Did u say BBQ ?????????????????????????????

Throw me un bistek encebollado on the grill !!!!
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #4579
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajory View Post
Geezer, the drug cartels, gang violence and organized crime is a problem for travellers no matter what country you are travelling in. Mexico has it problems, for sure, but it's not that much different that what you would find in any large America city. Have you seen the slums in Philly, they are not much different that those you find in any third world county and i wouldn't want to drive a bike through there and leave it parked overnight on the street.

There are places in the states that i feel less safe than any place in Mexico, how often do you hear " i ride with a gun for protection" yikes i don't ride with any weapons while in Mexico and have never felt that i needed to. What we don't hear through the media is the whole story, we get a 15 second snippet on violence that has occurred in an entire country. Will the stories of violence stop me from riding to Mexico.... no.. will i be more vigilant, yes. So ... PV in October, Baja in November, somewhere in January, back to the Baja in February.
Yeah that's true, in this article it shows the stats on New York crime: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...historic-lows/

Same pattern everywhere.......

Why the hell would I ride to the slums of Philly!!!!! haha I usually ride to nice places, I don't pick the worst.

I have lots of guns, I don't ride with them, even on trips. Some Americans feel the need to do that, it's part of our culture and a certain fear mongered segment of our society. But if I did plan a ride to the slums of Philly or a night ride thru Compton, I might carry one of them, heheh.

I also don't want to "ride" thru NYC. I'd like to see it, probably take cabs and such. But a friend of mine and his wife flew out and rented a bike last year and rode NYC and the surrounding areas. They said it was pretty cool, a bit chaotic traffic-wise, but they enjoyed it. And my sister and her daughter just did a 2 week tourist trip to NYC and enjoyed it. None of these people went to the slums so I figure that's why they survived.

Enjoy your trips...
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #4580
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,726
And now to our next news story about the criminal activity from both aisles of Congress.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #4581
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS View Post
Did u say BBQ ?????????????????????????????

Throw me un bistek encebollado on the grill !!!!
If I remember correctly, you had the best looking plate of 'Q of anyone
Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #4582
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
The only Corral I found looking at the map was nowhere near 97.

PS I am keeping your chairs from the BBQ under the deck here.

Hmmm.

Would that be Sillas sequesteras? (My Spanish isn't that great)

Trice- you generally tell them where the hostages are after they pay the ransom. You should have said- "Pay up, or the chairs get the Sawzall treatment."
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #4583
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^ sillas secuestradas

I have quite a few chairs here from the bbq but they're just snoozing quietly under the deck awaiting the 2012 event here at Casa Tricepilot.

Next year, we're adding a full-on roasted pig on a spit so the working title for next year is Pig Roast & BBQ 4U
Old 09-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #4584
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
The problem is that the day of the body dump it was in Boca Del Rio which used to have 35 murders a year and not in one day, that is also the problem with comparing it with New York City which has about 12 million people and Boca Del Rio has about 350,000 on a good day.

Donnie, I heard about that. Kind of puts a damper on what you can say and do.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #4585
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
^ sillas secuestradas

I have quite a few chairs here from the bbq but they're just snoozing quietly under the deck awaiting the 2012 event here at Casa Tricepilot.

Next year, we're adding a full-on roasted pig on a spit so the working title for next year is Pig Roast & BBQ 4U
I recall the discussion on TWTEX, really glad that apparently it's 'gonna happen.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #4586
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post
New York Times reports:

Police data shows that 52 shootings from Friday through Monday claimed 67 victims around the city, resulting in 13 deaths, in a spike of gunplay that has alarmed the Bloomberg administration even though the number of citywide shootings this year, through Sunday, is down 2 percent compared with the same period in 2010.
Thanks for the correction. It's good to know that of the 67 people shot only 13 died. This news account affirms my belief that I am safer riding around Mexico City (where no one would mistake me for a cartel member or LE) than NY City.

If the 35 killed in Boca del Rio were 35 unrelated homicides I wouldn't ride through there.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #4587
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=13

So exciting, punctuation wasn't necessary.

The Reesssssssst of the ssssstory.... per Paul Harvey.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #4588
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Sounds like time to go to Suchitoto !!!!! Fly in & Ride !!!!
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #4589
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,977
Exciting story. Good thing they were not shot at, but I found that a bit odd given how many times they passed by guys in the road with guns, some close enough to tell the pistol was a Colt 1911. But I sure as hell wouldnt have stopped to see what they wanted either. I also found it odd that the military kids just laughed at him, and the US Customs guy told him to shut up and wait in line. Do motos have to wait in line at Reynosa? Whatever the case, that was a seriously bad day.

I was looking on my Guia Roji map and couldnt find a "Corral" either. So, does anyone have an idea exactly where this happened? Was it on the entire stretch from San Fernando to Reynosa?

Maybe catfishingguide can post up on this thread with some more details. It sounds like he was chased for 100 miles or so.

If in fact kidnapping foreigners is a new game for the Zetas, that pretty much changes everything for riding in that part of Mexico. Its the Gulf Cartel and the Zetas in that part of Mexico, correct?

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-26-2011 at 11:13 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #4590
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Thanks for the correction. It's good to know that of the 67 people shot only 13 died. This news account affirms my belief that I am safer riding around Mexico City (where no one would mistake me for a cartel member or LE) than NY City.

If the 35 killed in Boca del Rio were 35 unrelated homicides I wouldn't ride through there.
Evidently the Mexican bad guys are much better shots than the drug pukes here, plus they really have a way of following up and making sure the job is done. You cut a person's head off, they definitely aren't wounded anymore. Glad you find solace in that, kinda weird, but it makes you feel better, that's what counts.

If you look at NYC stats, your equally safe there, or more safe than in Mex percentage wise:

The statistical breakdown of 532 murders in 2010 offered some interesting insights:
  • 92 percent of murder victims last year were black or Hispanic, as were the suspects in their killings.
  • 90 percent of all suspects were male; 83 percent of the victims were male.
  • 81 percent of the suspects had prior arrests, as did 72 percent of the victims.
  • Investigators determined that most victims and suspects knew each other.
  • More than half of the suspects — as well as their victims — were tied to the use or sale of narcotics.
  • 62 percent of the victims were shot.
  • 64 percent of the killings occurred outdoors.
  • 95 were on a Saturday, and 41 of those were between 2 and 3 a.m
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote