Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #5911
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Maybe go for a ride to Ft. Worth Zoo or somewhere equally interesting.
But say away from the Dallas zoo... its in the barrio/hood/ghetto.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #5912
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
The Detroit zoo?

Well.... hell.... the whole darn town is a zoo.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #5913
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail View Post
Btw, a man in Brown should drop off a suspicious "package" in the next day or two.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #5914
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
The Detroit zoo?

Well.... hell.... the whole darn town is a zoo.

You WILL run into trouble there.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #5915
BMW Kurt
Picture Taker

Oddometer: 10,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
I am still amazed that riders still want to ride to Mexico when the odds are YOU will run into trouble. If you have to ask- Is Mexico Safe?- I think you already know the answer. NO

With so much of the USA much better and with less risk, why would you take that chance?? I am sure I will get blasted for my opinion, but it is just that. My opinion.

I will never again step foot into that country. Been there, done that. And yes, I know Mexico is full of great people, I also know it is full of some bad ass dudes. Once again, no thanks.
Well, I will tell you why I want to ride to Mexico and Central America. Up until December 20 I was an elementary school teacher in a community that was heavily Latino. My principal knew that I preferred having the Hispanic children in my class. Why? They were the hardest working, most polite, well mannered children in the school. This was especially true for the first and second generation students. By the third generation they have become what we called "Americanized"... gangs, drugs, etc. If I ever had a problem with a Hispanic kid all I would need to say is, "Do I need to call your father?" Problem solved. White and Black children would ask me if I knew who their father was.

Being a teacher I have always toured Canada in the summers. Canada got waaaaay to expensive for me and now that I have time in the spring, I'm headed down south. If you will look at my posts I am only concerned about police corruption, not the people in general. I am only concerned about police corruption because I am unfamiliar with how the game is played. But, then again, I don't travel to see familiar surroundings, I travel to broaden my horizons and learn. When people tell me I am going to die in Latin America I just tell them it is not like I am going to Philadelphia or Detroit. Just today on the news I heard about a shootout and 4 or 5 cops being shot in Utah! I wonder if that will make the news in Mexico City and they will tell their citizens how dangerous the US is.

When I return from this trip I hope to work with the Hispanic community in my town with a better understanding of where they come from.

I'm not "blasting" for your opinion to which you have every right to. I just thought you might be interested in another view.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #5916
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
When I return from this trip I hope to work with the Hispanic community in my town with a better understanding of where they come from.
I thought your whole post was good. But this is especially poignant. Really speaks to what travel does for the heart and the soul. Excellent.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #5917
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Apparently the greatest risk of danger in Mexico is being kidnapped, having your testicles surgically removed and being sent home without knowing what happened to you.

Thats the company I retired from.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #5918
VidereStudios
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I sent you a PM of what I think about travel in a truck through the state of Tamaulipas.
Care to share your insights with me? I am thinking the LandCruiser thing is going to win out over the motorcycle thing...
VidereStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #5919
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidereStudios View Post
Care to share your insights with me? I am thinking the LandCruiser thing is going to win out over the motorcycle thing...
In a nutshell, and this is my opinion, motorcycles win out over trucks and SUVs, especially in the state of Tamaulipas. Cartels and their facimiles have in the past targeted pickups and SUVs to incorporate into their activities. No way to be absolutely sure if the motive is robbery, vehicle theft, or both. There are various anecdotal stories on this topic. Here are two:

The tale of Sam and Nancy Davis. This missionary woman was shot when allegedly her husband tried to flee what appeared to be an attempted truck jacking south of Reynosa. Link.

The tale of Canadian mountain biker Ken Klowak. He was shot when his suburban didn't yield to pursuers near the town of Allende. Link.

Refusal to stop is a link in both these incidents.

Overall, statistically the risk may be low. But it appears to exist.

Arte has commented on the relative risk on this issue in the past. In fact, to this day, he drives, as I remember, a black SUV in and around Reynosa, with no ill effect.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #5920
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidereStudios View Post
Trice beat me to it, but my response was:

Quote:
Thanks amigo. If we go, it will be with a couple of friends, so 3-4 trucks. I currently have 4 friends in 4 trucks with their families traveling in Mexico and Central America as we speak. Unfortunately they hauled ass through the border zone and skipped Galeana... even though I recommended a decent route.

For the 'foot wettin' ' trip I want to take the group down to Galeana, do a few of the MexTrek routes plus those routes down towards Zaragoza and then cut over to Doctor Arroyo, Matehuala, and hit Real de Catorce. Then do my dirt route BACK to Galeana through the desert.

These are three of the rigs interested (Mine is the blue/green one).

1995 Mitsubishi Montero, 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2007 FJ Cruiser. Below: 1999 Toyota 4Runner. Below that: Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX470. None are subtle.

And these two guys are invited as well. They are a couple of the ones traveling through Mexico right now. The Lexus is actually in Real de Catorce tonight.

So yeah. Generally not afraid to travel down there. But would like to mitigate the risks as best as possible.
In general travelers are not targeted in Latin America. Maybe petty stuff, but even Narcos can be smart. I mean hell, the country's tourism is hurting because of the violence/perceived violence... not good for anyone's business.

A small uneasiness that I do have is potentially being targeted as a competing narco group on the wrong turf. If we are targeted, I would hope we have the family of gringos advantage and they let us go. I realize this sort of situation is unlikely though, but you do hear stories of these events. And to be honest my only concern is the border zone, the gauntlet to the mountains. I've ridden the route several times on a moto and have never felt threatened or seen anything that would indicate trouble. But digging up some information, I found that a couple towns on the route have had some scary issues. General Teran's police force quit after grenades were tossed into the police station, killing several. Montemorelos has had increasing violence. But no news that I've seen has been about tourists. Mostly cartel vs cartel.

This source is both reassuring and disturbing...
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/...rug_war_update

Paints a pretty good picture of where the violence is targeted.

And for the record.... FBI's Uniform Crime Report for 2009 shows 13,756 Murders in the United States, 14,748 for 2010. The link above shows 9,600 drug related murders in 2009 in Mexico, 15,273 in 2010.

So statistically in 2010 you had about ~1% greater chance of being murdered in Mexico vs the US. Someone check my math.... But I do not think those numbers, particularly of Mexico, are reflective for tourists.

LaOutbackTrail screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 02:41 PM
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #5921
VidereStudios
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Refusal to stop is a link in both these incidents. Overall, statistically the risk may be low. But it appears to exist.
Yeah, I watched those two stories with intense interest. I think obviously it pays not to run when people have automatic weapons pointed at you. My life is worth way more than a motorcycle or truck.

Also, driving newer GMC, Chevy, Ford, or Dodge trucks and large SUV's doesn't seem to make good sense. I think a dusty (but not muddy) and beat-up rig is the way to go if driving. However, I do agree that an SUV or truck is a step up on the risk ladder.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #5922
VidereStudios
Adventurer

LaOutbackTrail,

That 80 series LandCruiser in the last picture is almost exactly what I am shooting for...minus the extra cargo on the roof rack and the Hi-lift jack on the front. And a little more worn.

Obviously, like you said, none of these rigs are subtle. However, I think the advantages and disadvantages in relation to a motorcycle win out for me. I love camping for extended times and exploring muddy and remote tracks over long distances, which is a dilemma that currently can't be solved adequately in my mind with a motorcycle.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #5923
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
I prefer this to a landcruiser !!

ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #5924
BMW Kurt
Picture Taker

Oddometer: 10,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS View Post
A Harley??????
Old 01-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #5925
VidereStudios
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS View Post

They both look pretty expensive...

I don't see really taking either of those into the dirt!

VidereStudios screwed with this post 01-31-2012 at 09:19 AM