Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #6016
Colbycheese
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Cobly....may I humbly recommend that you consider emptying that bucket sooner than later. On my mother's side of the family, I had three cousins who all passed away in their 40s. Each one of them would talk at family reunions of big plans and great dreams. Never to be fulfilled.

You have the dreams now. Live them. Mexico is waiting for you.
I'm in complete agreement with you.

I plan on riding Mexico again sometime later this year, either late Sept, Oct or early November. Just building up that vacation time haha. Between my one experience riding Copper Canyon with Shizz and that great group as well as all the pictures/stories, reports of the places some guys on this thread have definitely peaked my interest in exploring much more of Mexico.

Coming from the Midwest and now living right on the border I have no excuse not to explore a ton in Mexico. I've cut 1,550 miles off my commute ha.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #6017
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
Tricepilot I totally agree,I lost my dad at 18,he was only 57 mom died seven years later at 63,bro was 20 and I was 26 when mom went back in 01.After that I said IM gonna go where I want,buy what i want and take time to smell the roses and look around and take time to enjoy my family and friends.Ya can always find the money you cant get time back however.MY dad took kid bro on boy scout camping trip in Summer of 93,he wanted to go fishing but from helping people find office and other things he really didnt get to fish as much as he wanted w my kid bro.I;ll never forget his words ahhh they'll be next year to go fishing w son.3 months later he was dead,I hear it all the time ahhh Ill do it when I retire,people forget that tommorrow might not come for them,and thats foolish to think you have next year in my eyes. Ill do things now and if I dont make it to retirement at least I wont or dont have any regrets and got to do the things I loved.Sorry for the long rant.
What a story. . And I mean for the loss of your father at 18, and for the poignant feelings most will have of loss and "what could have been".

There, a life lesson.

"Not now, I'll save "X" for later"

It rarely happens.

My dad is still alive, in Connecticut (West Redding, for you New England-ers), but HIS dad, my grandfather, died when he was 7. Died on Christmas day, no less.

Your post is not a rant.

It's advice.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #6018
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbycheese View Post
Coming from the Midwest and now living right on the border I have no excuse not to explore a ton in Mexico. I've cut 1,550 miles off my commute ha.
A big reason I'm not leaving San Antonio
Old 01-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #6019
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Wtf.... Estela de luz

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #6020
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I usually try to stick to my four basic subjects (motorcycles, beer, rocks and women) but I'll jump in here by saying that I agree with you that Mexicans are good at enjoying life with less money and tend do things in groups, usually with their own family's and extended families, but Mexicans are by no means any less divided than Gringos. There is a lot of division of people in Mexico, especially along socioeconomic lines.

Mexicans treat foreigners very well, but in my opinion they don't really treat each other that well. I hate to sound like a Sociologist and I know there are some Mexicans reading this but that is what I observe as a foreigner living in Mexico. There are lots of great things about Mexico and Mexicans but the camaraderie of the Mexican people is not at the top of the list. I have spoken to many Mexicans who agree with me about this. It's not really good or bad, its just a different culture. Mexicans almost take pride in being muy cabron! That is just how they are. People also take it differently in Mexico as well they don't get as pissed off, for example if someone cuts them off driving. That cabron attitude varies throughout Mexico. I think it is more pronounced in the gritty North of Mexico and in contrast, the tropical tourists towns tend to take on a more friendly culture not just to foreigners but also to each other. You can really see it in the way people drive in different places.

But Rebel, I am not calling you out, it's very common for foreigners to romanticize Mexican culture to the point of it being something that it is not. I see that a lot even on this thread.
Almost universally the rich in Mexico see the less fortunate as another species, one that is below them and not to be bothered with, alive only to do their bidding. Mexico will never fully rise above its poverty until the rich realize that it is in everyone's best interest, including theirs, to eliminate it.

The second point is also a good one. There is no romance in poverty when you are in it. Yes, there are many moments of happiness proving that money is not a requirement for happiness. However, there is nothing romantic about going without healthcare and feeling hungry. There is no romance in having your kid cough up blood and having nothing but herbs and a prayer to offer.

I am steeped in the reality and am truly pained by my birth country's suffering. As Porfirio Diaz is credited with saying, poor Mexico so far from God and so close to the U.S.

There is cause for optimism though, Mexico's middle class is growing and the sophistication of its business operations can be impressive. The Puente Buluarte being featured here is another point of evidence of advancements being made.

Viva Mexico.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #6021
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
My grandfather was one of the hardest working, most frugal men I have ever known. He was a bus driver, bought an unusually prosperous tobacco farm, and became the largest stockholder of the local bank. He died suddenly of a brain tumor at 59.

My father held dual degrees in law and library science. He taught law, he wrote legal textbooks, and his obituary even mentioned how hard he worked. He planned his whole life around retiring at 62. At age 59 he was traveling to visit me and had an aneurism and died the next day.

I'll be 56 in March. Dad loved to travel and that rubbed off on me. He loved Florida and I lived there and wrote about travel in Florida. He made one trip to the Gran Canyon that he showed slides of for years and I have been lucky enough to travel westward several times.

Moral of the story - do it now. You never run across someone on their deathbed that regrets that they had too much pleasure.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #6022
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Almost universally the rich in Mexico see the less fortunate as another species, one that is below them and not to be bothered with, alive only to do their bidding. Mexico will never fully rise above its poverty until the rich realize that it is in everyone's best interest, including theirs, to eliminate it.
Sadly, the USA is racing to that model.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #6023
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post

The second point is also a good one. There is no romance in poverty when you are in it. Yes, there are many moments of happiness proving that money is not a requirement for happiness. However, there is nothing romantic about going without healthcare and feeling hungry. There is no romance in having your kid cough up blood and having nothing but herbs and a prayer to offer.

I am steeped in the reality and am truly pained by my birth country's suffering. As Porfirio Diaz is credited with saying, poor Mexico so far from God and so close to the U.S.

There is cause for optimism though, Mexico's middle class is growing and the sophistication of its business operations can be impressive. The Puente Buluarte being featured here is another point of evidence of advancements being made.

Viva Mexico.
Thanks for the response. After I thought about it a bit I nuked the original post. I didn't want to be known as the guy who started the "Are Mexicans Cabrones" discussion. But the classism in Mexico can be very brutal and I have not really gotten used to it. Im not complaining, it's no doubt easier to get used to than to have to live at the bottom end of it. Okay Viva Mexico!

SR screwed with this post 01-10-2012 at 09:08 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #6024
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
I know a ton of Canadians here in Mexico who rant and rave about how crime free Canada is compared to Mexico. Maybe they should read the Calgary Herald.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/we...183/story.html

"According to the Department of Foreign Affairs, five Canadians were murdered in Mexico last year out of 1.6 million Canadians who travelled there. Calgary, with a population of just over one million, had eight murders in 2011 and a record number of 86 home invasions in 2010. Although all of Calgary's murders last year were targeted rather than random, one-third of the 2010 home invasions did not involve people in highrisk lifestyles.

But five Canadians out of 1.6 million travellers to Mexico last year is better odds than Edmonton, which recorded 47 homicides in 2011, where no one theme, such as drugs, is pinpointed as a dominant.

An unusually high number of Canadian deaths in Mexico are attributed to drunken gringos falling off balconies.

But, as Mexico's Secretary of Tourism, Gloria Guevara, pointed out in a recent interview with a U.S. wire service, "Asking if Mexico is safe is a little like asking if something happens in Atlanta, is it safe to go to Seattle?""
0.0003% if I got my math right.

Anybody got a good current numerator and denominator for the U.S travelers visiting and killed?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #6025
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I thought your whole post was good. But this is especially poignant. Really speaks to what travel does for the heart and the soul. Excellent.
While I tend to agree with Kurt & having spent lots of time in Mexico, I do think its time to get away from the "Detroit-Phily-LA" comparisons. They are very tired, worn out cliches! No, I'm not offended or from one of those gang banger cities, but lets get real, no one in their right mind goes there on a vacation(well ,maybe me for some purposes like a MLB game or NFL) or even far less likely as an adventure MC destination! A friend in Mexico asked me(this March) if I felt like I was on an adventure while in Mexico, to which I replied , "yes, the 1st few times as a child & as an adult, it used to give me that sense, but now its just a place warmer than home in the winter, generally very friendly and scenic place to ride super roads with a different & vibrant culture". Absolutely never would I go to Detroit for those same reasons,so why continue this as a contrast to Mexico. It doesn't work. Now, back to Is MX Safe? & having fun dreaming of the next ride down & avoiding the transitos,etc.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #6026
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,705
Quote:
Yeah, When I say avoid family feuds that should include both inter- and intra-family feuds
Yep. that's been true for many years here & Mexico.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 AM   #6027
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
After I thought about it a bit I nuked the original post.
We have a small clip of you doing that, captured on a GoPro Hero by our Bomb Patrol:

Old 01-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #6028
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Kentucky. Isn't that where the Hatfields and McCoys are from?

The McCoys generally were; the Hatfields were mostly in West Virginia.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #6029
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,309
If I go Im flying to Guadalajara then friend picks me up and we go to the Lake south
Old 01-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #6030
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,309
Prob not but still going to enjoy and with a guide that I worked with for 30 years.