Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #6436
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
related to NAFTA ?
Probably related to the Mexican Presidential election in July. The PAN candidate is behind the PRI candidate in the polls.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #6437
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Could be political? That makes sense! Whatever it takes!
Everything has its roots in politics !
Old 02-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #6438
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Has anybody else heard that Calderon just signed into law the elimination of import taxes on a variety of items including Motorcycles and televisions! It is supposed to be effective as of January 24th. I was investigating this a little but the language is not very clear. It's possible that it only includes new motorcycles or possibly only American or Canadian made motorcycles? This could be a great thing for motorcycle prices in Mexico. Anybody know anything about this? Next week I'm going to call a Customs Agent to get some details.

I'd make a small bet that it applies only to small basic transportation bikes like those 250cc bike the pizza delivery guys ride.

If it does, however, apply to bigger bikes I might look into buying a bike in Mexico and keeping it licensed there. That would mean no import stickers and I could keep more than 1 bike ready to go. When I was in the RGV I looked into this and the Border Patrol guys said they wouldn't hassle me.

Alas, the $$$ never came in for that new bike but maybe now ...
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #6439
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,216
A couple of things.
First, the PRI candidate is not leading anyone, and the PAN candidate, Vazquez Mota, was only elected yesterday to be the candidate. So Pena Nieto was running against only Andres Manual Lopez Obrador (a former PRI party member from Tabasco who became a PRD party member and was the mayor of Mexico City and lost to Calderon in the last presidential election) known as "AMLO" in the polls. The PAN didn't have their candidate chosen yet. More importantly are the numerous irregularities in the polls. Polls in Mexico are notoriously unreliable because they are bought and paid for, a massive joke really. Like the ones that had the PRI candidates leading in the last two presidential elections and they each had barely low 20's percent wise. Forget about the polls, listen to the people and the people are still not convinced that there is any new "PRI". Mitofsky is probably the absolute worst polling organization that has ever existed.
The PRI have been repeating this lie long enough that journalists in the international press who should know better, are now repeating it. Jorge Castaneda was Fox's foreign relations minister until they had a falling out and he, Castaneda, is now a poli sci prof in New York. He is very astute and one of the best guys you can get information from about Mexican politics. Watch for anything written by him. He is one sharp cookie.

Second, Fox was responsible for the special tax on bikes over 200cc that he put into effect. Perhaps it is a repeal of that tax? However, if it is a full on import tax drop, that will begin to level off prices. A new KLR (back in the Kawi dealerships after a brief hiatus) is priced about $2,500 over the US price with about $1,000 of that in IVA tax. A new KLR here is just over $9,000 US dollars.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #6440
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Well, that was epic

Home safe and sound

Had a wonderful end of trip dinner with JD

I'll process the photos over the next few days. And video too.

I think I need to let this one soak in for a bit.

Life changing.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #6441
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,481
Awesome trip; glad everybody is back safely.

jimmex screwed with this post 02-06-2012 at 06:41 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #6442
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Bob C. just texted me.

He's also back in Texas.

On the way to Casa Tricepilot.

Maybe tonight.

Maybe tomorrow.

Ojala.......
Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #6443
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Going to catch my breath, then going here:

Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #6444
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Well, that was epic

Home safe and sound

Life changing.
Looking forward to the RR.

Meanwhile back at the office, link.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #6445
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
A couple of things.
First, the PRI candidate is not leading anyone, and the PAN candidate, Vazquez Mota, was only elected yesterday to be the candidate. So Pena Nieto was running against only Andres Manual Lopez Obrador (a former PRI party member from Tabasco who became a PRD party member and was the mayor of Mexico City and lost to Calderon in the last presidential election) known as "AMLO" in the polls. The PAN didn't have their candidate chosen yet. More importantly are the numerous irregularities in the polls. Polls in Mexico are notoriously unreliable because they are bought and paid for, a massive joke really. Like the ones that had the PRI candidates leading in the last two presidential elections and they each had barely low 20's percent wise. Forget about the polls, listen to the people and the people are still not convinced that there is any new "PRI". Mitofsky is probably the absolute worst polling organization that has ever existed.
The PRI have been repeating this lie long enough that journalists in the international press who should know better, are now repeating it. Jorge Castaneda was Fox's foreign relations minister until they had a falling out and he, Castaneda, is now a poli sci prof in New York. He is very astute and one of the best guys you can get information from about Mexican politics. Watch for anything written by him. He is one sharp cookie.

Second, Fox was responsible for the special tax on bikes over 200cc that he put into effect. Perhaps it is a repeal of that tax? However, if it is a full on import tax drop, that will begin to level off prices. A new KLR (back in the Kawi dealerships after a brief hiatus) is priced about $2,500 over the US price with about $1,000 of that in IVA tax. A new KLR here is just over $9,000 US dollars.
Calderons move is still political and money driven. There is no other reason for a politician to do anything.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #6446
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Calderons move is still political and money driven. There is no other reason for a politician to do anything.
Profound.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #6447
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Well, that was epic

Home safe and sound

Life changing.
Home!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #6448
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,021
Dang, I guess I missed you guys completely. Life sometimes throws us curveballs though. After all the delays and surprises, I am finally leaving NC in the morning. It's all good though as I have still have 3 plus weeks to spend in Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Home!
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #6449
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,216
I don't see a whole lot of money being made either way Calderon plays this, I think it is likely just a little house cleaning and tidying up of some loose ends at the Hacienda revenue department.
Yes, of course, everything any politician does is revenue or politically driven. That is the nature of the beast.
The good news is that now there is going to be one heckuva horse race here and it is going to be likely the dirtiest election in the history of Mexico. There is a lot riding on the outcome of this one and it will be more significant than when Fox changed the game after more than 70 years of the PRI and the infamous "three families". Some people here are still walking funny after that happened. LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #6450
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Doesn't matter if it's a "whole lot" of money. It's still being done to satisfy someone.
I've often thought the Mexican system of a single six year term makes some sense; maybe better than our system of potentially two four year terms. There are many pros/cons either way.
It'll be interesting to see how the Senora does.