Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #7426
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,121
I didn't get a good look at the bike, just the upper part.
Is it the triple black?
You were about 3 blocks north of my house. There is an excellent independent BMW mechanic and shop here now that is easy to find and about 50% to 75% cheaper than the dealer, by the way.
Rafael Lago at Motopits is the man.

By the way, the weather is merely warm, it doesn't get hot here until between May and September. This is excellent riding weather, only 34 to 37c on the highway and that means it is around 20c maybe 22c in the mountains around 2 to 3pm in the afternoons. Best time of year.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #7427
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
A shout out to Jeff, Bingo43, Mexico and Guatemala veteran who recently hit a deer and suffered busted ribs and a broken collarbone.

He's on the mend and back at work teaching Spanish at his school.

At Texas Pride BBQ on the way back from Guatemala:

At Casa Tricepilot with Paul (pdedse)

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #7428
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
By the way, the weather is merely warm, it doesn't get hot here until between May and September.

No it is not a triple black, but it is an '06 black and silver. That had to me me. I am in Coatzacolcos now. I just updated my ride report with the whole story.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #7429
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,874
Quote:
I didn't get a good look at the bike, just the upper part.
Is it the triple black?
You were about 3 blocks north of my house. There is an excellent independent BMW mechanic and shop here now that is easy to find and about 50% to 75% cheaper than the dealer, by the way.
Rafael Lago at Motopits is the man.

By the way, the weather is merely warm, it doesn't get hot here until between May and September. This is excellent riding weather, only 34 to 37c on the highway and that means it is around 20c maybe 22c in the mountains around 2 to 3pm in the afternoons. Best time of year.
MikeMike,
Do you have an address for Motopits ? I would like to add him to my travel reference book.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #7430
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Sure, Rafael Lago is at Av. Xalapa # 6507 (just above Calle Miguel Aleman right near the bottom of the hill by the traffic overpass).
Tel. 980 7451
Tel. 2292 07 01 59
email him at:
rafaellago@MSN.com

He doesn't speak much English, but if you need, I can translate for you.
If you have trouble reaching him, get a hold of me and I can probably find him for you.

www.motopits.com

He has saved a few travelers and is a very good person, he rides well and is extremely quick, something about those Spanish riders from Galecia!

If and when he moves his shop, I will update you. He's looking to expand in a bigger location. He is an independent but factory certified BMW tech by the way. And the only mechanic that is really worth a damn here since one of the guys they had at one of the Honda dealers here about 15 years ago.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #7431
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,874
Thanks a lot for this info,
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #7432
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?q0gxxw
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #7433
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
Latitudes & Attitudes

I think I had more fun riding than I will have flying....at least I was farther south

Saturday by airplane

January by motorcycle
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #7434
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I think I had more fun riding than I will have flying....at least I was farther south.
Pretty sure I saw you do both at the same time last Jan. I think a GoPro was involved.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #7435
Old-n-slo
Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
I have decided to forego the rest of my trip to Central America in order to spend more time in Mexico. I am fascinated with this country. People are constantly asking me where I am from and when I tell them Carolina del Norte they always say "Welcome!". Also my rate of travel (I thought I could travel further in a day than I can with topes, heat, checkpoints, etc.) Plus further south means more heat and I Just don't want to do that now.
My part is repaired and I am back on the road. Cost me $35. I have NEVER got out of a BMW dealership for that little!
Had my first run in with a Transito. He kept pointing at my speedometer and I thought he wanted an English lesson. So I pointed at all the instruments and said very slowly "Speed-o-meter, tach-o-meter, o-do-meter". He then got interested in my SPOT. He finally got bored with me, gave me my license and sent me on my way.
I got ambushed by a truck load of Federales a few days ago on the libre north of Cuencame...machine guns pulled...the whole nine yards. When they saw my wired earplugs and pointed, I told them "El Tigres del Norte." They looked at one another, tuned around and hopped back onto their pick -up and left me in the middle of the road with all my gear on the ground. Music is your special friend...
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #7436
Old-n-slo
Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer: 98
Home Home on the Range

After 9 weeks, I'm back in Michigan. Frost warning tonight. Dead battery in the truck. But I've got a bottle of El Federico tequila and a bottle of mezcal to soothe my sadness. What am I doing here?!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #7437
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Kurt, don't give up!
Next time through, try getting some gear that is gray or a lighter color. Yes, I know many experts say that black is just the same as any color when it comes to sunlight etc... but I can tell you through my own subjective experience that black clothing is best avoided for tropical riding.
Always seek shade, and if it has a breeze you are really in luck. Many people coming through here sit in the sun for some strange reason. Especially the bright and searing morning sun. This is why Ted Simon (as well as being a trademark for him) carried his umbrella, remember it is a "parasol" or "para sol" for a reason. Sitting in the sun will give you a slow roast effect that you won't feel right away but will feel it later and it will sap your strength.
Use a hat, even a baseball hat, and light colored. Sitting in the morning sun, dressed in black, with no hat, is best reserved for old Italian widows waiting for a bus outside of Naples.
Get out of the sun when taking your refreshments and take lots of them. It's the old "mad dogs and Englishmen out in the noon day sun" line. I don't get on my bike here for any ride outside of the city without at least two bottles of water inside neoprene sleeves, a hat, and some energy food no matter what the season.
Ditch your helmet, gloves, and jacket, and open any and all vents on your pants ASAP when stopping, your body needs to breathe and feel the effects of any breeze that might be present. This is a cumulative effect for keeping you cool, when traffic is thick, get that jacket open.
Avoid the long lines where you are idling amongst buses or trucks, this is a killer on the cuotas, especially at this time of year where you can literally spend more time in lines on a cuota than having taken a libre and are in motion. You used to be able split lanes and ride the shoulder with a bike to get to the head of the lines and it was expected of you to do so, however, with military check points before cuotas this is heavily frowned upon and they will likely stop you from riding the outside shoulder to get to the head of the line. Especially if you knock over a traffic cone. DAMHIKT LOL!
Sunglasses, good ones, will keep your eyeballs from frying, even if you have a drop down sunshield in your helmet, you will need sunglasses for when you are off the bike.
Wear the least amount of clothing under your gear that you can get away with. An athletic tank top with sweat wicking capabilities and some of those "weasel squeezer" sweat wicking bike shorts under your pants will do the trick.
I have yet to find a "cooling bandanna" or a "cooling vest" that is worth a damn after an hour or so, even with having soaked them in ice water over night.
I've been on rides where people, at rest stops, jockey for position and will slyly move around while in conversation in order to get a taller and bigger rider to act as a sunshade for them. Whatever works LOL!
The hottest time of the day is not 12noon, it is between 2pm and 4pm where the earth is radiating all the heat it has absorbed along with the sun that is still beating down. Be in motion or in shade during this time, there is a reason why lunch time in Mexico is in the later afternoon. Double your hydration starting at 1pm and though plain water will do, the Gator drinks are available at even the smallest little convenience stores these days.
Just some tips.
In the summer here we get temps of 39c at 9am, you want to be 3 hours on the road by then and not grunting and lugging your luggage to load your bike, getting on the road before dawn and off before 3pm has its benefits. Plan your route for elevations if possible, cooler mountain air is good for the soul, the views are much better, the traffic is lighter, and the real magic is there. The Mex #180 is for making up time if necessary, going to a beach, good for convoy truck drivers, and half mad Central Americans jacked up on caffeine or who knows what and traveling in long lines of old school buses and towing beat up wrecks of cars. Budget an extra day or so and take the mountain route. Connect with the mountains of Oaxaca, and then into the mountains in Chiapas. You'll be comfortable that way. Very comfortable.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #7438
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,660
with a said heart we just left mexico after 9 months.
back in the US to make some $ so we can head back to mex.
i posted this on facebook! ~

Heading to north to the US this sunday. 1 day in mazatlan, 2 day in san carlos and then to lynne & walt's for a few days in tuscon and then onwards. Been an amazing 9mo living in mexico. Incredible people, culture & experiences. 100% opposite of what the news tells you. On a 1 to 10, mexico is an 11 and we've only just touched the tip of the iceberg. We all have solid spanish and are already planning our next adventure back. Next time we'll work on Oaxaca, Chiapas and the Yucatan. All i can say i turn off your stupid TV box and go see the world. You might be surprised it's alot different from what they tell you.
Adios. B

... i also posted this ~

arrived in Tuscon last night. long line @ border crossing but no issues. 1st observation...people in the US are afraid. they barely look at you in the eyes and hardly respond back when you say good evening. very odd, but maybe it's a Tuscon thing. i sure hope not.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #7439
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,660
i've switched over to all grey gear (klim) & silver helmet and it has made a huge improvement in overheating. i use this for visability
http://www.amphipod.com/products/vis...-vests/xinglet
don't even know it's on but have been told i'm extremely visible.

we were living in guanajuato in the summer and being above 6000" made a huge difference in summer mexican heat. went down to the coast once and it was unbearable hot to us atleast. the smart move is to stay high in the summer and coast in the winter.

Quote:
Kurt, don't give up!
Next time through, try getting some gear that is gray or a lighter color. Yes, I know many experts say that black is just the same as any color when it comes to sunlight etc... but I can tell you through my own subjective experience that black clothing is best avoided for tropical riding.
Always seek shade, and if it has a breeze you are really in luck. Many people coming through here sit in the sun for some strange reason. Especially the bright and searing morning sun. This is why Ted Simon (as well as being a trademark for him) carried his umbrella, remember it is a "parasol" or "para sol" for a reason. Sitting in the sun will give you a slow roast effect that you won't feel right away but will feel it later and it will sap your strength.
Use a hat, even a baseball hat, and light colored. Sitting in the morning sun, dressed in black, with no hat, is best reserved for old Italian widows waiting for a bus outside of Naples.
Get out of the sun when taking your refreshments and take lots of them. It's the old "mad dogs and Englishmen out in the noon day sun" line. I don't get on my bike here for any ride outside of the city without at least two bottles of water inside neoprene sleeves, a hat, and some energy food no matter what the season.
Ditch your helmet, gloves, and jacket, and open any and all vents on your pants ASAP when stopping, your body needs to breathe and feel the effects of any breeze that might be present. This is a cumulative effect for keeping you cool, when traffic is thick, get that jacket open.
Avoid the long lines where you are idling amongst buses or trucks, this is a killer on the cuotas, especially at this time of year where you can literally spend more time in lines on a cuota than having taken a libre and are in motion. You used to be able split lanes and ride the shoulder with a bike to get to the head of the lines and it was expected of you to do so, however, with military check points before cuotas this is heavily frowned upon and they will likely stop you from riding the outside shoulder to get to the head of the line. Especially if you knock over a traffic cone. DAMHIKT LOL!
Sunglasses, good ones, will keep your eyeballs from frying, even if you have a drop down sunshield in your helmet, you will need sunglasses for when you are off the bike.
Wear the least amount of clothing under your gear that you can get away with. An athletic tank top with sweat wicking capabilities and some of those "weasel squeezer" sweat wicking bike shorts under your pants will do the trick.
I have yet to find a "cooling bandanna" or a "cooling vest" that is worth a damn after an hour or so, even with having soaked them in ice water over night.
I've been on rides where people, at rest stops, jockey for position and will slyly move around while in conversation in order to get a taller and bigger rider to act as a sunshade for them. Whatever works LOL!
The hottest time of the day is not 12noon, it is between 2pm and 4pm where the earth is radiating all the heat it has absorbed along with the sun that is still beating down. Be in motion or in shade during this time, there is a reason why lunch time in Mexico is in the later afternoon. Double your hydration starting at 1pm and though plain water will do, the Gator drinks are available at even the smallest little convenience stores these days.
Just some tips.
In the summer here we get temps of 39c at 9am, you want to be 3 hours on the road by then and not grunting and lugging your luggage to load your bike, getting on the road before dawn and off before 3pm has its benefits. Plan your route for elevations if possible, cooler mountain air is good for the soul, the views are much better, the traffic is lighter, and the real magic is there. The Mex #180 is for making up time if necessary, going to a beach, good for convoy truck drivers, and half mad Central Americans jacked up on caffeine or who knows what and traveling in long lines of old school buses and towing beat up wrecks of cars. Budget an extra day or so and take the mountain route. Connect with the mountains of Oaxaca, and then into the mountains in Chiapas. You'll be comfortable that way. Very comfortable.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #7440
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

No, no, no. Cleese is the guy on the far right!

And as I recall Cleese was a British accountant and miserable at that trade, so he went into comedy. The closest that he ever got to Mexico was berating the Spanish servant on Fawlty Towers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawlty_Towers), which was a part actually played by a German-born actor.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote