Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #7486
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Toilet seats ?!

We don't need no steenkin toilet seets !!!!

I hear Touratech is coming out with a folding toilet seat later this year. Fits snugly in the GS tail box.

Only $299.00.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #7487
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i'm kinda diggin'...but i like hippie chicks.
If only you could catch the chick and nothing else.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #7488
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 9,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

I hear Touratech is coming out with a folding toilet seat later this year. Fits snugly in the GS tail box.

Only $299.00.
Yeah, but it's on back order.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #7489
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
This big question has been answered by Banjercito recently in Skinny's thread, and yes, as you say here just remove the plate and voila, you have the solution. Just ride the bike off-road and not on the road and you'll nary be exposed to getting into trouble.

The only rub in this whole process is the rider who does not know about (or ignores) the 1 TVIP/1 Plated Vehicle stipulation and uses a truck's TVIP for his plated bike, keeps the plate on that bike, and gets caught on the road, even though that TVIP might have the last 4 of the vehicle's VIN on it. As we heard directly from the Banjercito guy, that provision is meant for non-plated bikes which fall into the "reacreational vehicle" category. Would a plated "add on" be confiscated at every checkpoint? Probably not. Could it be? Theoretically yes.
I just got back from a week in Baja...drove to Hermosillo to leave the trucks and catch the ferry from Guaymas...ferry left 12 hours ahead of schedule...drove to San Felipe and unloaded the bikes there. We were never asked for our TVIP anywhere, but we were in the Sonora free trade zone or Baja where they're not required...It appears that taking 2 plated vehicles is absolutely forbidden under Mexican rules....the fact that a lot of folks have done it with success doesn't make it OK...as I was told by Banjercito...you may get lucky, or you may get your motorcycle confiscated...not a risk I'm willing to take...

SKINNY screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 06:14 AM
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #7490
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

Only $299.00.
They also have a comfort model, which can be mounted to the bike, in place of the regular seat. The euro-spec bidet accessory is available for an additional $395.00 This seat is for the hard-core Iron Butter who has not yet had his colostomy bag installed. This seat would also work well for MexTravelers with delicate stomachs, who haven't yet built up their iron-gutt immunity.
mark883 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #7491
Old-n-slo
Burnin' fossil fuels!

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
As seen yesterday on the buey to the Sierra Negra Grande via Alhuaca (redux and slight return).

Let's see who is the most observant and can ID what's different about this pic.

I know! I know! The guy in the red and white Suburban has just cocked his escopeta!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #7492
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
You know, maybe the toilet seat thing is a Mexican machismo thing. If there's no toilet seat, you don't have to put it back down, or listen to those who think the default position is down.

Them Mexicans, they can be really smart about some things.
mark883 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #7493
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,666
A very good point !
Old 04-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #7494
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Well, right now I'm in McAllen, heading home tomorrow morning.

Haven't decided yet if I'll be riding highway 57 all the way to Mexico City... The altiplane is mind numbing! But I know it's the "safest" road. The route would be McAllen, Reynosa, Monterrey, Matehuala, SLP, etc. Check the map, its just straight roads.

The second option... Highway 97 and then 101 and then get to 57 in SLP. BUT, that goes through Tamaulipas and... San Fernando, that isht is scary! The Government says San Fernando is heavily guarded, but I don't know if truly is and if the roads near/around are safe. Bit more interesting, but still quite straight.

Third option is to ride the coast, Highway 97, followed by 105. Don't really know anything about this road, but it goes through San Fernando too.

Anyone knows?
Anyone?

I'm already home, but next time I don't want to ride the 57. I was stopping every 30-45 minutes to keep me awake.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #7495
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 9,861
Quote:
Anyone?

I'm already home, but next time I don't want to ride the 57. I was stopping every 30-45 minutes to keep me awake.
+1

I just got off the 57 at Eagle Pass after riding it from Mexico City starting yesterday. The checkpoints (which backed up traffic for miles) were the only thing that broke up the monotony. Made damn good time for Mexico, though!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #7496
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Semana de Moto this week in Mazatlan.

The Samana de Moto in Mazatlan starts today. I estimate I've seen at least 50 different touring bikes in several groups come through DGO in the last 2 days. It is the biggest motorcycle rally in Latin America!

http://www.semanainternacionaldelamo....com/home.html

I went down and checked it out a few years ago. I was on a KLR and was one of the only DS bikes there. The actual organized event was a bit of a "biker" scene with a lot of guys standing around posing in black leather, but I think only a fraction of the people who come down actually attend the event, most just come down to cruise around, which is cool to see. It's an interesting spectacle to see 20 thousand bikes all on the oceanfront Malecon of Mazatlan.

SR screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 08:48 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #7497
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
You know, maybe the toilet seat thing .......

Them Mexicans, they can be really smart about some things.
The really smart solution is found in hotels where the toilet potty is designed to NOT require a folding seat.I have one in Hotel Monterrey tonight in Matehuala. I have seen them many places over the years.
Very good design, the apperture, shall we say , is somewhat smaller and the entire upper surface of the casting is fairly wide and comfortably rounded . Ooooh, it sits nice and easy to keep clean for the staff. SIT BOY, SIT! No need to try for a distance record!You do NOT get awarded air miles.
Solves all the problems of wear and tear on movable parts (yours and the potty's) and the inevitable problems of ignoramouses vandalizing the seats.
Actually I think the fold down seat should be a thing of the past all over the world. The movable seat was sold to the hotelliers, by slick hucksters who also suckered many small motels years ago into installing liquid soap dispensers and plastic cases for mega rolls of toilet paper. Then the poor hotels discovered they would go broke if they kept buying from the dedicated supplier. Back to the small roll and soap pats it was.

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 07:11 PM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #7498
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
+1

I just got off the 57 at Eagle Pass after riding it from Mexico City starting yesterday. The checkpoints (which backed up traffic for miles) were the only thing that broke up the monotony. Made damn good time for Mexico, though!
Were you able to filter through the lines at the checkpoints?
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #7499
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Anyone?

Zo, nicht zo Susser Tod What was all this about then ?
You know of course there are lots of options to ride down to Mexico City beside the few you list and discarded.
The problem seems to be that you were suffering from '' destinationitis'' , you had it in your mind to go to Mex DF and were intent on doing it as fast as possible in a bee line in a restrictive time.. That c losed yourself off from the possibilities of taking any of the alternate, less direct routes from what you describe as an odious Mex 57 .And if you have travelled
Mex 57 so often as to loathe it you should have already been aware of the possible tracks farther west or shorter diversions parallell to, 57 no ? The problem as I see it is not with the wide spaces around Mex 57 but more related to the space between your ears No slight intended, but it is an attitude thing. You were by the looks of it already whining before you set out.
Actually I like Mex 57 , this too is Mexico and like other northern desert highways it is fun that one can cover such a vast distance so quickly .

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 07:43 PM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #7500
c6gc2bch
Banned

Oddometer: 8
With a patient lying in the back. Didn't know our crew were military trained and unwilling to cooperate. The patient got to the US okay, but we now have orders to not go in to local hospitals on retrievals unless it is clear that the patient cannot be moved without us. This sort of incident has happened to other crews going down there, as well.
c6gc2bch is offline   Reply With Quote