Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #7651
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
Once, around 2002, my buddy was pulled and the federale took his license plate.
Probably because a state cop took his.

Anyway, 2002 is so, like, last century
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #7652
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,048
Be real careful with that "I took out my phone camera" line of thinking these days.
First, you might just get a cop who is having a bad hair day and he'll get really encabronado with you to the point where the entire thing is going to escalate way beyond your ability to comprehend. And it will happen fast. Think it through.
How would a cop in the USA like it if you took out your cell phone when he stopped you? The answer to that depends on many factors, the cop, the local protocol, the state protocol, etc... Some don't care, some do. Do you really want to putz around and find out?
Second, and more seriously, not everyone in Mexico likes to smile for the camera these days due to the climate of narco violence and this is often directed at cops and soldiers.
Don't even think about taking pictures or video of soldiers working at a traffic stop. Sure, some might not mind, but that is highly unlikely and they wear balaclavas specifically so they cannot be identified.
They have no idea who you are or what you are doing or going to do with any video or pictures, their lives and the lives of their families and relatives depends very heavily on how well they keep their identities unknown.
Yes, local transit cops don't wear balaclavas, however, in some areas the military are doing all the policing and sometimes that includes the transito work, too.

It all boils down to why you were stopped.

If you broke the law by speeding, pulling a U-turn in front of a no u-turn sign, ran a red light, etc... expect the punishment. It's Mexico, not Disneyland. Do you automatically expect a US cop to let you off for this sort of thing?
I doubt it. You take your licks and you rely on the good nature of the cop if they have one and you hope for the best.
You don't start protesting, reach for your cell phone camera, threaten to call an embassy, etc... You behave yourself because you know there are consequences. Same goes for Mexico. Many times, if you are polite and can play the ignorant gringo part well enough, they will simply let you go with a warning, no different from back in the USA or wherever you are from.

If you got stopped for no valid reason and the cop is trying to extort money from you, that is when you dig in and start to play your cards carefully and with skill. Think of the "call the embassy" or "reach for the cell phone" cards as, at best, a non-face card in the poker game and nowhere near being an ace. The presentation of a license you can afford to lose, is a bluff move that often works depending on the cop and your poker face, you never bet more than you can afford to lose, do you?

Your results may vary, but pulling out a camera is not the greatest idea these days.

The reason a cop will take your plate is because they can if they are not satisfied with your license and your registration. They will often do that because they know the threat of that will get you reaching for your wallet pretty damn quick because you likely won't want to travel very far without the plate and you won't be getting into another country without one unless you are heading home. They also know you will have no idea where to find the plate later that day at shift change when it gets handed in and it then ends up in the office where you pay the fines which will likely be nowhere near the local police station if the state is running the transitos and not the municipality. Do you know if the state runs the local transitos or whether the municipality runs the local transitos? You likely don't know that, so you are already at a disadvantage.

Just my opinion. I've been through this many, many times. The good news is that, the more you play the game, the better you get, and the more local knowledge you have of where places are located for paying fines, how much the fines actually are (they vary widely and many are much more expensive now than you can imagine), where you have to go to report things, etc... will help a lot. Most states and municipalities have the same basic set-up, and often, there is quite a distance between various points of interest in the whole game.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #7653
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^

Guess that kills the Sony EX3 with an extended boom mike idea
Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #7654
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Well, young feller, it all depends on what you are going to be taping?
More behind the scenes of the ADV sign placements?
or
Dealing with someone whose having a bad mustache day?
Uh, hang on, I know what you're thinking so let's not go there... Keep it all PG and family oriented.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #7655
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,697

Could work, I guess, if you cupped it in your hand just right.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #7656
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Get an old one that is trashed.
Gut it.
Slap a CNN sticker on it or two.
Walk into any event anywhere anytime, especially with a cohort that is wearing a jacket and tie or a dress.
But never wearing both at the same time as things might become more "complicated".
Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #7657
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,386
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Be real careful with that "I took out my phone camera" line of thinking these days.
First, you might just get a cop who is having a bad hair day and he'll get really encabronado with you to the point where the entire thing is going to escalate way beyond your ability to comprehend. And it will happen fast. Think it through.
How would a cop in the USA like it if you took out your cell phone when he stopped you? The answer to that depends on many factors, the cop, the local protocol, the state protocol, etc... Some don't care, some do. Do you really want to putz around and find out?
Second, and more seriously, not everyone in Mexico likes to smile for the camera these days due to the climate of narco violence and this is often directed at cops and soldiers.
Don't even think about taking pictures or video of soldiers working at a traffic stop. Sure, some might not mind, but that is highly unlikely and they wear balaclavas specifically so they cannot be identified.
They have no idea who you are or what you are doing or going to do with any video or pictures, their lives and the lives of their families and relatives depends very heavily on how well they keep their identities unknown.
Yes, local transit cops don't wear balaclavas, however, in some areas the military are doing all the policing and sometimes that includes the transito work, too.

It all boils down to why you were stopped.

If you broke the law by speeding, pulling a U-turn in front of a no u-turn sign, ran a red light, etc... expect the punishment. It's Mexico, not Disneyland. Do you automatically expect a US cop to let you off for this sort of thing?
I doubt it. You take your licks and you rely on the good nature of the cop if they have one and you hope for the best.
You don't start protesting, reach for your cell phone camera, threaten to call an embassy, etc... You behave yourself because you know there are consequences. Same goes for Mexico. Many times, if you are polite and can play the ignorant gringo part well enough, they will simply let you go with a warning, no different from back in the USA or wherever you are from.

If you got stopped for no valid reason and the cop is trying to extort money from you, that is when you dig in and start to play your cards carefully and with skill. Think of the "call the embassy" or "reach for the cell phone" cards as, at best, a non-face card in the poker game and nowhere near being an ace. The presentation of a license you can afford to lose, is a bluff move that often works depending on the cop and your poker face, you never bet more than you can afford to lose, do you?

Your results may vary, but pulling out a camera is not the greatest idea these days.

The reason a cop will take your plate is because they can if they are not satisfied with your license and your registration. They will often do that because they know the threat of that will get you reaching for your wallet pretty damn quick because you likely won't want to travel very far without the plate and you won't be getting into another country without one unless you are heading home. They also know you will have no idea where to find the plate later that day at shift change when it gets handed in and it then ends up in the office where you pay the fines which will likely be nowhere near the local police station if the state is running the transitos and not the municipality. Do you know if the state runs the local transitos or whether the municipality runs the local transitos? You likely don't know that, so you are already at a disadvantage.

Just my opinion. I've been through this many, many times. The good news is that, the more you play the game, the better you get, and the more local knowledge you have of where places are located for paying fines, how much the fines actually are (they vary widely and many are much more expensive now than you can imagine), where you have to go to report things, etc... will help a lot. Most states and municipalities have the same basic set-up, and often, there is quite a distance between various points of interest in the whole game.

Probably why I don't have problems, I can do that naturally Also I think it helps being an old man. Use rivets for your licence plate
Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #7658
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Maybe "ignorant" is a little harsh, let's say "innocent".
Though I imagine many people here lost their "innocence" some time ago.
Like back around when the earth cooled...LOL!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #7659
Aarono2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiner84 View Post
Easily the best advice I was given on this thread before my trip: bring licenses you don't care about. To that end, I carried two AAA International Licenses (crappy little paper booklets), then my real license (which was kept in a hidden pocket and never emerged). I never paid a single bribe or fine in 10,000 miles. I was pulled over three times, for two of which I legitimately broke the law, and then there were the innumerable checkpoints. There was only a mild amount of smiling/sweet talking/playing dumb. But mostly, I think it was those crappy paper licenses that no one in their right mind would consider valuable. HUGE thanks to that bit of thread-advice!
So how would one go about getting a temp license?
Cheers
Aarono2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #7660
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarono2 View Post
So how would one go about getting a temp license?
Cheers
Go to your friendly local DMV and request a new license. Invalidates the one in your wallet but you won't care when you surrender it to some tránsito curbside.

Or, get the AAA international DL.

Or, use that high-tech copier you've been making 20's with and copy your DL then laminate, a la Tricepilot.

Red loctite on the plate bolts.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #7661
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

How I think I look with a moustache

How college co-eds see me

Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #7662
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^

Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #7663
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

You know, Schizz, those co-eds just ain't hearing that soundtrack wakka chikka wakka chikka music loop when they see that 'stach. LOL!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #7664
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Why not? I can hear it.

Must be tinitus.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #7665
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Tinitus?

Nah, they are deaf to it because they are dazzled by the shag, the suede, and the polyester.