Originally Posted by SchizzMan
Is Mexico safe?

Safer than much of the USA I'd say.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #767
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
John, Steve and I are accompanying Digiamo on this little trip, look forward to meeting you in about a week. First ride to Mexico for me, really looking forward to it.

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
I've been sending folks down to the Savoy Hotel in the Centro. The Savoy is nice, clean, has VERY secure parking, and is pretty cheap. I'm having a brain fart at the moment and can't remember how much the rooms are there (JD stayed there a few weeks ago - he can give a review) but I want to say they are about $28US/night.

There is a variety of good food and adult beverages in the Centro and once you park at the hotel you can walk.

The Aduana and Immigration offices are about 8 blocks away and it's open 24/7, so you can get your permits any time.

I've crossed at Matamoros a few times myself and have some favorite places in the Centro there but it's not laid out as nicely as Reynosa IIRC. So convenience is the #1 thing that I would suggest as far as crossing at Reynosa.

Reynosa is like any other city. It's got some nice parts, you just need to know where to go to find 'em.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #768
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
Chuck Norris being the one exception
Nu-UH! Me too! (so far, so good. )
Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #769
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Danny, I've already mentioned to some folks, I'm gonna ask the kidnappers to wait 'til we're on our way back north, don't wanna miss my vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiamo
Well.... It looks dicey but damn the torpedoes...I'm goin' in.
Be there April 16th through either Reynosa or Matamoros.

Who is with me? Or am I going to go it alone? And if I get shot or taken hostage, who'll take my place on this ride of a lifetime to Belize?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #770
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99
Danny, I've already mentioned to some folks, I'm gonna ask the kidnappers to wait 'til we're on our way back north, don't wanna miss my vacation.
Well, as it stands now George, looks like our chances are pretty good getting through Nuevo Progreso, just south east of Reynosa.

We should keep out ears to the ground for news updates though.

Thanks everyone for keeping Mexico safe as possible for riders passing through...
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #771
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 242
Right, Mexico is not safe, monsters like this, sometimes break my heart!!!!

Please don't ride in Mexico, stay in House.

ANA CLAUDIA TALANCON

Old 04-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #772
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 242
Another not safe Mexican girl.

OMG!!!!!

MARTHA HIGAREDA
Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #773
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
John, Steve and I are accompanying Digiamo on this little trip, look forward to meeting you in about a week. First ride to Mexico for me, really looking forward to it.

George

Sounds good George. Schedule and such permitting, I'd like to put some miles on and ride south with y'all for a day or so.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #774
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres A
Another not safe Mexican girl.

OMG!!!!!

MARTHA HIGAREDA

Didn't you promise to introduce her to me, Amigo?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #775
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja
Speaking of KY, that's where my son was born. Ft. Knox, KY at Army Ireland Hospital. Now he is stationed there and lives in Brandenburg, KY.

Small world!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #776
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Just a clarification on this point of trivia, the story in deliverance took place along the Missouri River, a long way from Kentucky.

I've ridden all over Eastern Kentucky/Tennessee, Western NC/VA/WV. Never a problem, assume the same will be true along the Mexican Gulf Coast next week. A new adventure begins...

(My oldest sister raised her five kids around Morristown, TN. The accent gets more thick in those hills! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
There is a "squeal like a pig" reference there somewhere.

(Just as a matter of trivia, Ned Beatty was born in Louisville and began acting at a playhouse in Berea, KY, although those places are a ways away both geographically and socially from the coal fields of Eastern Kentucky.)
Old 04-06-2010, 05:56 AM   #777
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Just a clarification on this point of trivia, the story in deliverance took place along the Missouri River, a long way from Kentucky.

From Wiki:

"Four Atlanta businessmen Lewis (Reynolds), Ed (Voight), Bobby (Beatty), and Drew (Cox) decide to canoe down the fictional Cahulawassee River in the remote Georgia wilderness, expecting to have fun and see the glory of nature before the river valley is flooded over by the upcoming construction of a dam and lake."

But you are absolutely right. A long way from Kentucky, and a long way from reality.

And I only really point out the location because riding friends from Georgia always said that the story was inspired by the terrain in northwestern Georgia (James Dickey, the author, was from Atlanta).
Old 04-06-2010, 06:00 AM   #778
Digiamo
Dan nyc

Oddometer: 805
Quote:

I've ridden all over Eastern Kentucky/Tennessee, Western NC/VA/WV. Never a problem, assume the same will be true along the Mexican Gulf Coast next week. A new adventure begins...
! )

Agreed George, The Mexican Emerald Coast should prove a wonder of nature. I'm sure we'll wonder why we didn't make this trip sooner.

Hey John, What border crossing are you using. Maybe we could meet on the US side on say, April 15th. Jury is still out on which crossing will have less "activity" on the morning of April 16th.
Leaning toward Nuevo Progreso.
Digiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #779
PirateJohn
Banned

Back to Mexico, I was in Nuevo Progreso last night and it was very, very peaceful. The soldiers at the border were there as usual, although there was actually a guy manning the big machine gun on the Panhard armored car that they always have there.

While I was walking around I noticed two pickup trucks full of masked soldiers rolled through town and stopped at the border.

Garcia's Canada Store closed promptly at 6PM, which sorta surprised me in a way, but it was a Monday and they have been closing early for several months (before the troubles) for economic reasons.

Nuevo Progreso is a neat little oasis but it's our equivalent of going to Key West and expecting to find shrimpers. It's Mexico all right, but the main street is pretty gringo-centric.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:12 AM   #780
The Cyclops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:

(My oldest sister raised her five kids around Morristown, TN. The accent gets more thick in those hills! )
Yeah, I was just kidding around. There are a few bad eggs here like everywhere, but for the most part they are about the friendliest folks you will run into and always willing to lend a hand. Don't fear us! I have traveled a lot from Maine to California and Middle Appalachia is by far the friendliest.