Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #7846
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I think of this as a universal aspect of organized crime. Not a good idea to ride down there and join a cartel.
Last year, while in Mexico, I had an opportunity to talk with a member of the Cartel. He was one of the guys who help dig the "many" tunnels under the Rio Grande. His advice.. Do Drugs? Buy Drug? Deal Drugs? Own money? Stay out of Mexico!! We had an opportunity to offer him something that money could not buy.. Hope he is still alive!!
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #7847
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,301
Early Sunday Morning, So.........

It's Breakfast Taco time!

Tell me you're not hungry after watching that
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #7848
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Old 05-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #7849
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Ricos Tacos de Suadero

Choice Cut of Mystery Meat?

From the link:

"The flank is located under the filet, along the sides of the beef. It is a cut of meat that benefits greatly from marinating. It can be used for fajitas, although arrachera is preferred. North of the border, it is used for London broil, but in Mexico it is the cut of choice for carne deshebrada (shredded meat) used to make the beef salad called salpicón, and in any number of cornmeal-based snack foods, such as taquitos and chalupas. The fatty piece under the falda is the panza or pancita, sometimes used to make a rather fatty stew called mole de panza. Between the falda and the lower rump is the suadero, not usually found on charts and generally only cut to make tacos de suadero, most often found in Mexico City."

Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #7850
subcomm
adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaburro View Post
the bodys of 9 people were found hanging from a bridge in nuevo laredo mexico.5 men and 4 women.mexican athotities say also discovered were 14 headless bodies.14 severed heads were later found outside the mayors office in ice chests.is mexico safe?not for these unfortunate souls.
I saw these pics on Borderland Beat and it was horrible. It is a real shame that in many parts of this country it is complete anarchy. Hopefully one day it will get better. Also keep in mind that there is a essentially a complete news blackout regarding the violence, very little of it is reported.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #7851
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Well ... I posted on my Facebook account that there had been several bodies hung from an overpass in Nuevo Laredo not far from where I regularly traveled.

The bad guys are sending a message that they don't want you to work with their competition or you will get a closed coffin funeral. For us tourists that message is understood and not at all hard to comply with.

Gruesome deaths to send a message aren't new in Mexico - several US outlaws had their heads left on poles near the border during the 1800's as a message that they weren't wanted en Mexico.

For that matter, gruesome death for extraordinary crimes has a history in Anglo Saxon culture - the last person drawn and quartered in England was executed sometime in the early 20th Century.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #7852
PirateJohn
Banned

Added: I see that the Nuevo Laredo murders have been discussed earlier. Honestly, I have heard that Boys Town had gotten a little hinky after Midnight (no first hand observations, alas ;) but by and large I feel pretty safe all around town, particularly considering the reputation of the place.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #7853
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
The bad guys are sending a message that they don't want you to work with their competition or you will get a closed coffin funeral. For us tourists that message is understood and not at all hard to comply with.

Gruesome deaths to send a message aren't new in Mexico
This is the view I hold.

Unless and until that message becomes "bring your Gringo ass to Mexico and we'll whack you as soon as you cross the borderline", in my view, and I may be the only one holding it, nothing at all has changed vis a vis the risk of travel in Mexico for the vagabond motorcyclist.

Absolutely, one can never get used to viewing these abhorrent news reports of hanging bodies and heads in ice chests, but the approach I take is to take is to judge the violence climate in the context of who is whacking who and why.

Others can and do take a different approach and/or might use the Nuevo Laredo incident as a "last straw" marker,....it doesn't matter because each rider's conclusion is right for them and nobody can be faulted for the view they adopt. One side or the other is not "nuts" for applying their personal formula of risk managment to international travel. What would be nuts would be not being comfortable traveling in Mexico and being talked into it.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #7854
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
What would be nuts would be not being comfortable traveling in Mexico and being talked into it.
I dont completely agree with that. I have talked a few buddies into riding in Mexico and they were very uncomfortable with it, but after all my prodding and good natured jabs, decided to check their fear and go see for themselves. They had an irrational fear that the second they crossed the border they were likely to get shot. They didnt get kidnapped, shot at, nor get robbed at every street corner. They have been back numerous times since then and dont understand what everyone is so afraid of.

Living in fear is a very debilitating thing.

crashmaster screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 12:36 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #7855
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
They have been back numerous times since then and dont understand what everyone is so afraid of.

Living in fear is a very debilitating thing.
Media hysteria is very profitable.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #7856
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,784
I'm not going to try to talk anyone into riding anywhere if the are uncomfortable. I don't want to be riding with people who are worried or uneasy. That just complicates my ride.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #7857
PirateJohn
Banned

I agree with what Trice wrote and what Crashmaster wrote with the caveat that while I personally don't get too excited about the perceived danger I wouldn't force someone that was fearful of flying to get on an airplane.

As far as violence selling newspapers that was quite true when I was living in McAllen. At every mention of violence across the border sales went up dramatically as people read the reports for one reason or another. Good news doesn't make you concerned about your relatives but bad news sure does.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #7858
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
I have talked a few buddies into riding in Mexico and they were very uncomfortable with it, but after all my prodding and good natured jabs, decided to check their fear and go see for themselves
This is wonderful when it works. But as Dennis says below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I'm not going to try to talk anyone into riding anywhere if they are uncomfortable. I don't want to be riding with people who are worried or uneasy. That just complicates my ride.
This is the view I take.

The person I travel with to Mexico has to be at terms with the risk he is about to take, right off the bat. Often times the experienced one can assist somebody to this place by explaining the context of the violence in Mexico, discussing risk prevention measures, pointing out statistics vis a vis the vagabond motorcyclist, explaining how to keep the home front informed, and by recounting tried and true ways to apply common sense.

The usual answer to the above is "But that applies to travel anywhere, not just Mexico"

Your salient reply at that point is "Bingo"
Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #7859
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS View Post
A recent trip to Mexico revealed the despair and lack of tourism has resulted in a spike in the ol ' chingale !!!!!

* Taxis charged double or tried to charge triple fares.

* Waiters just hung over the table demanding tips .

* Waiters would not return my change from transaction. After asking repeatedly finally they would bring my change. 85% of time

A formal place business charged my friend $1000.00 u.s. ($1700.00 u.s. at first) for services never rendered. The charge was for like 30 steak dinners and 300 drinks after 1 hour in the establishment. 30 steaks and 300 drinks for two people?
Then the lowlife scum cornered my friend and threatened him into paying .....

http://mexicovacationawareness.com/
This just sounds fishy
Old 05-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #7860
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
This just sounds fishy
Yup.

Anybody waste any time on that website? If you haven't, don't.