Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #7996
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,118

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #7997
Starkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Can't wait to make the trip on my bike as soon as I can. I think I'll have to trade the SV in on a wee-strom first and maybe I can convince the dad to go along and get his GS dirty for once. Reading RR's from the likes of tricepilot has really gotten me into a mood. Reminded me of my first trip to Mexico when I was 20 (5 years ago ) I had an epiphany one night while sitting alone on a little stone wall at the highest point of this little village overlooking 111 as it heads west back into San Miguel. All the little towns on the hillsides sparkled from the dim streetlights. Warm and silent, all the stars, the sound of the bugs. It was one of the few profound moments of true bliss I have ever had in my 25 years. To think that my wife and her two sisters were born and raised in that end of the dirt road village in the middle of nowhere Mexico on a hillside tending animals and getting water from a well. Now they all live in the United States and they all hold bachelor's degrees from the University of Texas and the oldest now has her masters from the University of Wisconsin. Everytime I hear the lazy trashy mexican stigma from people I think about my wife, her family, and what work ethic really means.
Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #7998
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,590
Well, I'll be eating scallions from Mexico tonight. And maybe there's a Negra in the fridge.

That's as close as its going to get for the meantime.

Dammit.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #7999
basstodave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Starkey:
You have an SV1000?????? I have a WeeStrom! Swap? Not looking for a SV650 though.
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #8000
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Ain't that the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkey View Post
Can't wait to make the trip on my bike as soon as I can. I think I'll have to trade the SV in on a wee-strom first and maybe I can convince the dad to go along and get his GS dirty for once. Reading RR's from the likes of tricepilot has really gotten me into a mood. Reminded me of my first trip to Mexico when I was 20 (5 years ago ) I had an epiphany one night while sitting alone on a little stone wall at the highest point of this little village overlooking 111 as it heads west back into San Miguel. All the little towns on the hillsides sparkled from the dim streetlights. Warm and silent, all the stars, the sound of the bugs. It was one of the few profound moments of true bliss I have ever had in my 25 years. To think that my wife and her two sisters were born and raised in that end of the dirt road village in the middle of nowhere Mexico on a hillside tending animals and getting water from a well. Now they all live in the United States and they all hold bachelor's degrees from the University of Texas and the oldest now has her masters from the University of Wisconsin. Everytime I hear the lazy trashy mexican stigma from people I think about my wife, her family, and what work ethic really means.
Where is the like button when you need it......
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #8001
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
[QUOTE=tricepilot;18698544]

Getting the scuba gear ready for Mexico once again

Mahahual again ?
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #8002
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
I'm going to have dinner at a Mexican restaurant in a little while. Pretty good food and really cold Negra and Tecate. Its as close a I can get for a while.
A tip of the old sombrero to everyone here.........'cept the fella in France.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #8003
Colbycheese
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Well, I'll be eating scallions from Mexico tonight. And maybe there's a Negra in the fridge.

That's as close as its going to get for the meantime.

Dammit.

All I got was some very good tacos de cachete today

that's closest for me....
Old 05-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #8004
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinneck View Post
I'll be in Mexico tomorrow. No riding, but plenty of beach. Akumal here we come...
Tonight is my last night in Half Moon Bay. Your picture looks like you are looking out the back of our condo. Back on the road tomorrow and heading back home.

Tequilaville in Akumal (town) is a great restaurant. Give it a try if you get a chance.
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #8005
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Can you rent those tanks where you are going? Or do you have to drag them down?
No real good way to haul tanks on the moto but nor is it necessary. Mexico diving all I bring is my mask and cert card, you can rent everything you need. Diving 4 times per day you need air refills and anyplace that can fill a tank can rent a tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinneck View Post
Mahahual again ?
Something different. Mahahual was nice but Mexico has four beautiful coastlines, five if you count the southern reach. There is plenty of off the beaten path bungalow places like Mahahual you just have to look.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #8006
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

That shirt would NOT fit Salma.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #8007
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,118
The trick is to put it on wet and let it dry.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #8008
Baja Perro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Howdy compadres, my wife and I bought a place in Northern Baja 5 years ago. Its halfway between Rosarito and Ensenada, not exactly far enough south, but it'll do for a few years. We still live in the states.
However, I simply can't get enough Mexico.
One of you dudes said something about learning the culture, and once you understand where mexicans are coming from in that respect, its a whole new world. I got laid off a few months ago, so I've been spending a bunch of time down there, loving every minute. Motorcycles and surfing are my true passions and you can live your dreams of such in mex.
The motocross tracks ive been to suck, but I'm getting too fragile for that anyway. The offroad stuff is totally awesome, though. Singletrack? Unreal, if you you know where to look.
When you compare Baja to Socal, both have their own goodness, but I'll take Baja any day. You want to live truly free? Baja. You want to ride your dirt bike down the street to your uncrowded local surf spot? Baja.
I get bummed coming back to the States, the land of overbearing rules. It's truly a shock to see the amount of a-holes driving crazy, and the general rudeness that Socal has become.
I really didn't have a point here, other than Mex is awesome. If you follow the media, and the bad guy body count, and you dont come down cuz you're scared, cool. More waves for me
Baja Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #8009
Baja Perro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
You have a very good point, sir. It's more of a national thing, though. I've traveled a bunch in the states and its all the same. California is probably the worst . You can't just let the savages run wild I guess (me included)
Baja Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #8010
opium89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Mexico IS NOT safe, Just ask Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070902342.html