Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #8851
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Here's a real question; I've read about people's different ideas on which border crossings to take and how best to handle getting through the more dodgy northern part of the country. It's probably been mentioned and I missed it... but what about going Baja and crossing on the ferry at La Paz? Seems to me that this would be a good way to avoid a lot of the more risky areas?
Trevor
Hey Trevor, Not to turn you off of entering Mexico through Baja, (as I have done so, and wouldn't hesitate to do so again), but FWIW, I started compiling US state Dept. stats on American deaths in Mexico, and it may surprise many even here, that Baja California was one of the estados de Mexico that registered a proportionally high number of US deaths. That is likely a direct result of the high number of US citizen user days in Baja compared to other states. Even so, I thought it worth noting here, that Baja is not without risks of its own, independent of the narco-violence that most Americans focus on when talking about the dangers of traveling in the country. If you get to Guanajuato/San Miguel de Allende, PM me and I'll help hook you up locally.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #8852
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Good guess. But we're looking to do a zig-zag route through the Sierra Madre Oriental so will enter PN, get papers in Allende and ride 57 libre through that pretty little valley into Saltillo. Remember Jimmex taking us through there?

Ahhhh! This is going to be almost like a guided tour! Will there be peanuts?

For dcstrom:

Welcome to IMS! I would definitely ride Baja from SD and take the ferry across. Can't think if a better route from SD than that. Just be sure to read up on the ferries and pay extra for a sleeper berth for the longer routes. Lots of Baja ride reports here cover that.

Have a great trip!!
I am looking forward to another ride in Mexico!
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #8853
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,784
SR, I got soaked last night, headed out to work with something brewing to the west and the wind changed and splash.
My daughter asked if I'd fallen into the pool. LOL!

Italiano, you guys had great weather on the weekend, Sunday was the clearest day I'd seen here in ages.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #8854
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Caballeros, remember, before Salma and from the same tierras calidas, there was la sensacion jarocha...
Le celebrarán los 100 años de Toña la Negra!

26 Junio, 2012 04:56:00

Por Sergio Naranjo
Reportero de NOTIVER

Con la finalidad de devolverle el lugar que históricamente le corresponde, por su tradición y alegría, el Ayuntamiento de Veracruz lleva a cabo el rescate del tradicional Barrio de La Huaca en donde se lleva ya un 90 por ciento de avance de las acciones programadas, dijo la alcaldesa Carolina Gudiño Corro.

Entrevistada durante un recorrido sorpresa que realizó por el tradicional barrio de La Huaca dijo que de acuerdo a la revisión que se realizó este día se lleva ya un 90 por ciento de avance en la pinta de fachadas de madera de La Huaca, la cual nos comprometimos para que este listo en el centenario del natalicio de Toña La Negra.

La alcaldesa de Veracruz dijo que le da mucho gusto trabajar para que el Barrio de la Huaca tome un aspecto totalmente diferente, recuperando la alegría, el colorido que tiene este tradicional barrio que tiene bien ganado su lugar en el contexto histórico de la ciudad y puerto de Veracruz.

Carolina Gudiño Corro, explicó que el proyecto de rescate de esta importante zona de la ciudad lleva un avance muy significativo, dijo que en un par de días quedará totalmente concluida, sin embargo en respeto a la veda electoral, no será sino hasta después del 1 de julio cuando se entregue de manera oficial a los vecinos.

Durante su recorrido en donde fue saludada de manera afectiva por algunos vecinos que e percataron de su presencia la alcaldesa detalló que hasta el momento se han realizado trabajos de pintura en las fachadas de las diversas viviendas de este tradicional barrio, con el fin de devolverle el colorido que lo caracteriza.

Dijo que parte del Ayuntamiento de Veracruz se esta realizando la pinta de las fachadas, orgullosamente podemos decir que las fachadas son de madera, y el día de hoy vemos que ya están con su mampostería y detallando precisamente las que están en el callejón Toña La Negra, en Gómez Farías, sobre Primero de Mayo, Doblado, y las que están en Víctimas y 16 de Septiembre, comentó.

Mencionó que en coordinación con el INAH, se vienen desarrollando ese proyecto que se integra al conjunto de rescate del Centro Histórico de la ciudad de Veracruz y que se integran a los que de han realizado en la Casa Museo “Salvador Díaz Mirón”, el Edificio Trigueros, el Registro Civil, el Museo de la Ciudad, “Coronel Gutiérrez Zamora”, el Recinto de la Reforma y la Biblioteca Venustiano Carranza.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #8855
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,786
Valladolid

Casa Hamaca, Valladolid

His place looks fantastic

I also like his quote:

"The people in Mexico seem to live much more for today, because today is more important than tomorrow"

tricepilot screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 10:16 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #8856
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Hey Trevor, Not to turn you off of entering Mexico through Baja, (as I have done so, and wouldn't hesitate to do so again), but FWIW, I started compiling US state Dept. stats on American deaths in Mexico, and it may surprise many even here, that Baja California was one of the estados de Mexico that registered a proportionally high number of US deaths. That is likely a direct result of the high number of US citizen user days in Baja compared to other states. Even so, I thought it worth noting here, that Baja is not without risks of its own, independent of the narco-violence that most Americans focus on when talking about the dangers of traveling in the country. If you get to Guanajuato/San Miguel de Allende, PM me and I'll help hook you up locally.
Thanks Miguelito - no worries, not put off at all. As you say, Baja has a disproportionately high number of US visitors compared to other parts of mexico, so that would account for a lot of the difference in the stats. I would guess most of the deaths are from road accidents? With maybe a few getting lost and dying of thirst... will try not to get involved in either of those scenarios!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #8857
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
....so that would account for a lot of the difference in the stats. I would guess most of the deaths are from road accidents? With maybe a few getting lost and dying of thirst... will try not to get involved in either of those scenarios!
...Yep, that would be my edjumacated guess as well....livestock on the roads, lack of signage (by US standards), and drinking/driving, and drowning could affect those stats!

BTW, in Ensenada this weekend, doing something I've never done before, and that's take a cruise. Yep, just a short 3 day jaunt from Long Beach CA to Catalina, to Ensenada and home...It'll be fun to just play tourist for a couple of days.

Ride safely,
Steve
Old 06-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #8858
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,474
Just curious?.......

Is MX 57 from Nueva Rosita to Monclova libre or cuota ?

It looks cuota on the map.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #8859
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,786
IIRC libre, there is a cuota stretch available along that route but its from Allende to Nueva Rosita.

But I could be wrong.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #8860
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano View Post
Is not costa esmeralda, that would be Nautla or Casitas. This is a little north of that. It is not turistic at all like i said it is a little fisherman town a hundred miles long beach and very good seafood.
And after the salt bath we take a long shower so no germany rust, only mexican smiles.
Town is at the south entrance to huge Tamiahua Lagoon
Couple of years ago in the road nortwest out of Tamiahua to Naranjos on Mex 180 there was one humongous vado with a small creek that could in wet season turn into a raging deep river,I suspect
.It was a very nice ride in dry season though. Have they built a bridge there yet?
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #8861
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
IIRC libre, there is a cuota stretch available along that route but its from Allende to Nueva Rosita.

But I could be wrong.
Thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #8862
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Sjoerd Bakker;18996553
Couple of years ago in the road nortwest out of Tamiahua to Naranjos on Mex 180 there was one humongous vado with a small creek that could in wet season turn into a raging deep river,I suspect
[/QUOTE]

You suspected right.
Naranjos is where I lost a filling from one of my teeth driving a jeep on that stretch.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #8863
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

All the huge produce trucks that go through that area pound that road pretty bad. When I went through there last the road was a big pothole with little bits of road around it.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #8864
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Just curious?.......

Is MX 57 from Nueva Rosita to Monclova libre or cuota ?

It looks cuota on the map.
In most places MX57 is open and as fast as you want to be!
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #8865
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Thanks Miguelito - no worries, not put off at all. As you say, Baja has a disproportionately high number of US visitors compared to other parts of mexico, so that would account for a lot of the difference in the stats. I would guess most of the deaths are from road accidents? With maybe a few getting lost and dying of thirst... will try not to get involved in either of those scenarios!
There were a cross section of causes, including Traffic accidents as well as out and out murders. Unfortunately I don't have that document on the computer I'm traveling with, or I could break it down in more detail. The data set I was using is here: http://travel.state.gov/law/family_i...death_600.html
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote