Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #9196
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
... Probably at the Teatro Ricardo Castro in DGO.

Very similar to the Teatro Nacional de Costa Rica with the exception of the gables.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #9197
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Mexico has a great musical culture, why play this crap ?
Revenge for Taco Bell?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #9198
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Revenge for Taco Bell?

Good answer !
Old 07-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #9199
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I was reflecting on Trice's amazing summation of risk management regarding Mexico and then, suddenly, I came across this:

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A man spotted dressed in a goat suit among a herd of wild goats in the mountains of northern Utah has wildlife officials worried he could be in danger as hunting season approaches.
Phil Douglass of the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources said Friday the person is doing nothing illegal, but he worries the so-called "goat man" is unaware of the dangers.
"My very first concern is the person doesn't understand the risks," Douglass said. "Who's to say what could happen."

This is very interesting because the expert, Douglass, has as his first concern that the individual doesn't understand the risks. My first concern is some poor SOB is going to get a real surprise in their barbacoa....!!
Old 07-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #9200
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
I think it would make a great ride. Lets go here sometime in the Fall.

Sign me up ! Como dice Ruth., get on the bike and go refresh my thoughts

Bato screwed with this post 07-20-2012 at 11:30 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #9201
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
get on the bike and go refresh my thoughts
Stop thinking when you ride! Go Zen now! LOL!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #9202
NVBigBlue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Walking in Oaxaca...... a quick question

Greetings all!
Mods, if this question doesn't fit here, please feel free to move it. But it seems the most knowledgeable people hang out here.

I'm finally getting a chance to take a break from playing in the sand box and I'm wanting to head south. I originally thought I was going to have about 5 weeks of time off, but I'm only getting 3. I was planning on doing a ride down with my wife, but I'm not going to have enough time to do that and get everything I need to do at my house done before I head back over.

So my thought was to just fly down instead. It would be myself, my wife and my oldest boy (17).... I was thinking about taking her to Oaxaca. There are a couple of cooking schools there, plus all the art and everything else.

So my question is, for those that have been there.... Is getting around town easy enough to do on foot or taxi, or is it worth renting a car? We don't mind walking..... it's the only way to get around here..... but how spread out is everything there?

None of us has ever been to Mexico before, and I have no issues with going.... (I know first hand that a few violent people don't represent an entire country). My wife is a little concerned, but is willing to go..... and my boy just wants to hang with his old man.... (I haven't been home in a year )

Also, any suggestion on what to take in while we're there? Planning on a full week....
Oh, and this will be in late August....

OR..... would there be someplace else you all might suggest that might be better for a first trip?

Thanks for the help!

NV
Old 07-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #9203
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Believe it or not, a huge percentage of the population of Mexico do exactly that.
They walk or take taxis.
Learn the local rates for taxis, don't tip as it really is not required unless they are handling a huge amount of luggage or venomous animals etc... you get the idea. Taxis can be found anywhere...unless it is Mexico City DF in a downpour LOL!
You'll be fine, backpackers from all over the globe do Oaxaca on a daily basis. In most cities and towns you'll be likely to spend a lot of time in the zocalo (town square) area, anyways. Try some websites like the Lonely Planet, they have a lot of the back packer walker taxi taker tribe.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #9204
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
https://www.facebook.com/ZGuitarFest

Any of y'all been to this guitar festival? Thinking about heading there next time. And just to keep things on topic, is it safe?

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #9205
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Thanks PJ. I think I'll pass.
Kind of reminds me of a trip in Mexico one time when a lot of the restaurants were playing American disco music. It just about made me nuts. As I told my wife; Mexico has a great musical culture, why play this crap ?
Mexican culture is like US culture. It's a melting pot of many influences - US, Spanish, indigenous, French, German, maybe even a little Irish.

Monterrey has a radio station that plays US 80's rock and roll en English. Everyone knows that my Spanish sucks so I tend to enjoy listening to those guys.

On the other hand sitting out here in the Tejas oil fields I pay extra to get Bandamax (think MTV for Banda music) on the satellite TV. Think that Banda is Mexican or even Latin US? Listen to it sometime. Those accordions. That's German polka music Mon!

Anyway, it is what it is. I hope to get to Reynosa in 4-6 weeks for some R&R and may make a point to hit the Sierra Madre just for grins and giggles;)
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #9206
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Good old country cooking. Puerco asado con Frijoles Mantecosos, mmm.
You know, some governments are trying to outlaw food like that. LOL!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #9207
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
You know, some governments are trying to outlaw food like that. LOL!
And you won't find those governments south of the border. Why that Coke would be illegal if served in a glass in New York City.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #9208
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
[QUOTE=MikeMike;19179836]Stop thinking when you ride! Go Zen now! LOL![/QUO

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 AM   #9209
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,057
Quote:
New Law: By strict punishment of law, no Senora shall be allowed to add more than one tablespoon of Manteca or one teaspoon of salt of per kilo of frijoles. Violators will be forced to eat an entire bowl of couscous.

They haven't passed a meaningful new law in the US in the last 10 years but they could probably get that one through.

The problem in the US is few of the old laws ever go away. For a country of freedom, we sure have a lot of laws.
Of course, when you have a legislative body made up mostly of lawyers, that's what you get.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #9210
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
Quote:
Believe it or not, a huge percentage of the population of Mexico do exactly that.
They walk or take taxis.
Learn the local rates for taxis, don't tip as it really is not required unless they are handling a huge amount of luggage or venomous animals etc... you get the idea. Taxis can be found anywhere...unless it is Mexico City DF in a downpour LOL!
You'll be fine, backpackers from all over the globe do Oaxaca on a daily basis. In most cities and towns you'll be likely to spend a lot of time in the zocalo (town square) area, anyways. Try some websites like the Lonely Planet, they have a lot of the back packer walker taxi taker tribe.
And if you walk, and want to blend in, walk on the street instead of the existing sidewalk.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote