User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #9556
Dirt Vader

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Smitty View Post
to Mexico in Oct. Looking to do a two week ride from Denver to Puerto Vallarta. My plan is to store my bike in PV and then reutrn 2 weeks later for 3 months off. Then head south.

My question is does anyone know of some good safe storage in or near PV. I need to fly back to AK for 2 weeks and would like my bike to in Mex for the start of my 3 month trip. PV is not far from where I left off last year.

Any suggestions?
i know a place in san juan de los lagos jalisco.
FOR SALE
04 Tuono 07 TE510 tagged
Dirt Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #9557
rodrut
Ride Central America

Oddometer: 44
Riding from Belize to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiamo View Post
Hi Rod, I've ridden through Mexico three times, One of them to Placencia and back through Gautemala. Another time all the way to Panama through all the CA countries. My biggest problems were the border hassles south of Guatemala and the Sting Ray that got me good on the Mexican Riviera (Pacific side).

Get on over to Veracruz and say hi to Mike, who will take care of you with good info on rides not to miss. :)

I had a ball all the way to Belize. They were paving the road to Placencia a couple of years ago. Did they finish that?

You won't wanna cross from Guatemala to Mexico at Frontera Corozal, unless you don't mind having a few locals lift your bike into a launcha (small boat) for the river crossing. We turned back at the sight of the boats that they wanted to load 1700 lbs (three bikes) and three riders plus the drunk guy who would be "captain" . Then... since its not a vehicular entry you'll be taking your chances to the nearest permit. I have seen video of a friend who crossed west to east but had to cross Guatemala to the Belize crossing to get a vehicular permit. Risky!

Have fun and don't worry about a thing ... just be aware :)

Awesome Danny, I'm jazzed. I may take off in the next 2 weeks and pound it out. I will definately look up Mike in Veracruz. I just left a job in Belize and no real plan so a trip through Mexico sounds like the perfect way to figure out my next life move in the states. I will enter through Chetumal and pound it out to Veracruz then let Mike point the direction from there. You are welcome to load up and help me find the perfect margarita. Thanks for your help Rod
rodrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #9558
rodrut
Ride Central America

Oddometer: 44
Riding from Belize to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
Give me a holler next time you come up around Playa del Carmen.

And yes, I have ridden West and then North of here (Cancun going West, or Chetumal going West then North) without any problems whatsoever, ever.

Hey Danny, I will definitely do that. Thanx for the input. I'm heading out in the next 2 weeks. Ready for a break. Thnx man
rodrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #9559
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,819
Latest From Stratfor on Mexico

"Mexico's Strategy is republished with permission of Stratfor."

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #9560
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
Hey Bob, you know, that particular stretch of road can have a magical reverse effect from what you mentioned. Try that stretch in heavy fog and an entire Airhawk can disappear from beneath you very suddenly. Don't ask me how I know.

Rodrut, if you are coming up from down south, do the route via Oaxaca and then head up from Oaxaca City to Tehuacan and then drop down on the route Bob and I are talking about via the lane changing stretch on the descent to Acultzingo when you cross the Puebla (the Tehucan part) state line into Veracruz state.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #9561
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey Bob, you know, that particular stretch of road can have a magical reverse effect from what you mentioned. Try that stretch in heavy fog and an entire Airhawk can disappear from beneath you very suddenly. Don't ask me how I know.
Does it re-appear the next morning? After coffee, I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Rodrut, if you are coming up from down south, do the route via Oaxaca and then head up from Oaxaca City to Tehuacan and then drop down on the route Bob and I are talking about via the lane changing stretch on the descent to Acultzingo when you cross the Puebla (the Tehucan part) state line into Veracruz state.
Would an explanation of "lane changing" be in order?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 08-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #9562
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Does it re-appear the next morning? After coffee, I mean?

Would an explanation of "lane changing" be in order?
After coffee

There are a series of sharp curves south of Acultzingo. Prior to entering downhill left curves the outside lane moves to the inside and vice versa for the uphill lane. Downhill traffic is then always on the inside of the curve. This is presumably done for long trucks and to prevent high side excursions which would end up on the road below.

I've got a short video on splashlite but I don't know how to post it or get a screenshot.

The only directions I saw were painted arrows on the asphalt to indicate you should move to the other side of the road. After riding through countless completed road construction zones where similiar lane change arrows had not been erased I thought at first this was just more of the same until
Old 08-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #9563
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

There's a good pic of this around here somewhere.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #9564
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
There was a pic recently, but Bobloblaws description I'd pretty succinct.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #9565
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
Yes!
Like a decent David Copperfield trick it does reappear and requires no oat bran.

Ok, here is a pic that Guaterider snapped of what it looks like. He is the only guy I know that is loco enough to stop and take a pic and be able to convince his riding buddy to stop, too. Thanks to him, we have this photo from the road on a sunny day earlier this year. Bob met Guaterider aka Julio in Perote after Julio, Jean Luc, and I had already had breakfast and Bob was getting his much needed extra hour of beauty rest. I hope Julio doesn't mind the use of the photo, it is in the overall best interest of both public safety and general madness. Try to avoid this route on a Saturday afternoon before a holiday Monday or on a holiday Monday afternoon, for obvious reasons. It's way steeper than it looks and the corners don't all carry the same radius and some are decreasing radius downhill. Guess it would be really fun with a sidecar and in the wet. Yee Haw!

MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #9566
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,369
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #9567
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
It looks funny, but it actually makes perfect sense.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #9568
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #9569
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Not much of a choice there. Make a hard right !
Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #9570
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsXXX View Post
I bought the bike in Zacatecas, Honda has a promocion it was only 1100 +\-bucks or 15,000 pesos, the Cargo 150 is 20,000 pesos right now a smokin deal. and registered it/plated there as well, all easy to do. Put 1000km locally on it to break it in, changed oil 3x also to keep it nifty clean.

Not bad for a little bike, pulled all the hills up here to San Cris in 4th or 5th even with my fat butt and about 40lbs of gear but oc course I can't haul ass out of the twisties...but at least I can still ride.

Thinking of sticking around here 3 months or so, waiting to see if the ferry every happens for Panama/Columbia...and exploring the trails..its damn nice here and cheap in Chiapas...and no narco action to speak of, at this point
I would say I highly recommend it -that is Chiapas, and the teeny Honda.

KXXX

Good luck with the ferry, and post up here if you actually do get to cross that way. I'm in the US now, but hope to be back in Mexico by mid-September, so PM me if you're coming through San Miguel de Allende after then,and I'll shout you a beer.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote