ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #9571
miguelito
Studly Adventurer
 
miguelito's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: San Miguel de Allende, GTO, Mexico
Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
"Mexico's Strategy is republished with permission of Stratfor."
I take most of the information Stratfor "releases" with a grain of salt. Mostly the company is focused on furthering its own interests in marketing their security services.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #9572
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 8,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
I take most of the information Stratfor "releases" with a grain of salt. Mostly the company is focused on furthering its own interests in marketing their security services.
I take them all that way. But after reading the article I thought it worthy of posting here for those with less of a Big Picture perspective on México.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #9573
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Mostly the company is focused on furthering its own interests in marketing their security services.
As an employee of the United States Federal Government for almost 30 years, I can attest that the same thing holds true for all agencies of government as well. Contractors that provides services to the government are also selling what is known as Perpetuation and Justification of Self. This is a means to an end for virtually any bureaucracy.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #9574
rodrut
Ride Central America
 
rodrut's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Ft Worth Texas
Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Yes!
Like a decent David Copperfield trick it does reappear and requires no oat bran.

Ok, here is a pic that Guaterider snapped of what it looks like. He is the only guy I know that is loco enough to stop and take a pic and be able to convince his riding buddy to stop, too. Thanks to him, we have this photo from the road on a sunny day earlier this year. Bob met Guaterider aka Julio in Perote after Julio, Jean Luc, and I had already had breakfast and Bob was getting his much needed extra hour of beauty rest. I hope Julio doesn't mind the use of the photo, it is in the overall best interest of both public safety and general madness. Try to avoid this route on a Saturday afternoon before a holiday Monday or on a holiday Monday afternoon, for obvious reasons. It's way steeper than it looks and the corners don't all carry the same radius and some are decreasing radius downhill. Guess it would be really fun with a sidecar and in the wet. Yee Haw!

That is incredible. I have never seen this before. I will make sure the gopro in charged up and rolling. Thanx for the help.
rodrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #9575
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb
 
BobLoblaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Yes!
Like a decent David Copperfield trick it does reappear and requires no oat bran.

Ok, here is a pic that Guaterider snapped of what it looks like. He is the only guy I know that is loco enough to stop and take a pic and be able to convince his riding buddy to stop, too. Thanks to him, we have this photo from the road on a sunny day earlier this year. Bob met Guaterider aka Julio in Perote after Julio, Jean Luc, and I had already had breakfast and Bob was getting his much needed extra hour of beauty rest. I hope Julio doesn't mind the use of the photo, it is in the overall best interest of both public safety and general madness. Try to avoid this route on a Saturday afternoon before a holiday Monday or on a holiday Monday afternoon, for obvious reasons. It's way steeper than it looks and the corners don't all carry the same radius and some are decreasing radius downhill. Guess it would be really fun with a sidecar and in the wet. Yee Haw!

__________________
Ride till you can't - Marty Hill
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #9576
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Oddometer: 4,150
Bob, it was nice of you to stop and take that pic, too.
Good to see Julio is not alone in that type of adventure!
The good news is that the lines and arrows and signs are well maintained these days, it wasn't always like that.
Kind of like the definition of a good old time "WTF?" moment.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #9577
Craneguy
British Hooligan
 
Craneguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Riyadh, KSA, Cuernavaca, Mx, Houston, Tx
Oddometer: 1,027
I had a half-day ride out with a couple of friends and their wives on custom Harleys a couple of weeks ago. Apart from the arm waving, leg waggling and helmet tapping that they used to point out every tope, wet patch, pot-hole and oncoming car, their riding style convinced me a dual-sport is really the only bike to own/use in Mexico. On the way out, they were passing lines of cars at speed like crazy people, and on the way back down the hill they were taking 55 mph curves at 30mph. As I was new to the group I stayed at the back, and rode the entire hill with one hand. I'm no knee-scraper on my V-Strom, but it was somewhat embarrassing to be holding up a line of cars in the twisties.

Every tope required them to stop and waddle, and 90% of them caught their bellies with a horrible scraping / graunching noise (maybe that's why most Harley's have load pipes; they've worn holes in them!) Don't even ask how they got on negotiating slow traffic on cobbled streets, it wasn't pretty.

When we got to our second town after more semi-suicidal lane-splitting I had to ask why they were such lunatics in traffic, but so cautious on the open road? It is of course the ground clearance. They can't corner fast, and they lose a vertebrae to every pothole taken at speed.

I'm really not knocking Harleys, but it's very clear to me that they are definitely unforgiving to the occasional rider on bad roads, and seem to be very narrowly designed for wide, straight American freeways in good repair.

A lot of people ride sport bikes here, but I guess they enjoy having their shoulder blades touch every five minutes in town!

GS
V-Strom
KLR Etc

Lots of fun, and probably won't give you hemorrhoids on our roads.
__________________
Young enough to think I can. Old enough to know I shouldn't. Stupid enough to do it anyway
'13 Duc Multi GT, '10 Vstrom 1k, '10 705cc KLR
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #9578
jimmex
Guero con moto
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,524
Mexico is the place for big dual sports for sure. When I tell people they're going to have problems on their hogs they always dismiss it as so much hot air. But it can't be fun to be banging your frame every 20 km or so. The only solution to this is to take the cuotas exclusively. Que lastima! As for hauling ass on the straights and teeter-tottering around corners, that is how most of the cruiser crowd rides. Oh well, to each his own.

jimmex screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 01:19 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #9579
rodrut
Ride Central America
 
rodrut's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Ft Worth Texas
Oddometer: 44
I am constantly amazed at the information given by "seasoned riders" about the dangers of riding in Mexico and Central America. I have had the best experiences of my life riding solo through all of the "dangerous areas" that are off the list for so may riders. I don't have any desire to put myself in a bad situation but refuse to miss out on great experiences. Being aware of your surroundings is the key. I appreciate the advice given on this site. It seems pretty balanced. Keep it up guys.
rodrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #9580
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 8,120
Rode my 900 lb. Harley down to Xilitla, Pachuca, Puebla, Mexico City, Villa Bernal, etc., a couple of years ago. Had a great time riding #2 behind a really strong BMW rider. No one else in the group could run with us and I could barely keep him in sight. Topes were a chore but rarely scraped. Cobblestone was a bit dicey at times but I never dropped the bike. Had a truly great riding experience on the Harley.

After returning home I bought the GSA and the Harley hasn't seen Mexico since.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #9581
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Rode my 900 lb. Harley down to Xilitla, Pachuca, Puebla, Mexico City, Villa Bernal, etc., a couple of years ago. Had a great time riding #2 behind a really strong BMW rider. No one else in the group could run with us and I could barely keep him in sight. Topes were a chore but rarely scraped. Cobblestone was a bit dicey at times but I never dropped the bike. Had a truly great riding experience on the Harley.

After returning home I bought the GSA and the Harley hasn't seen Mexico since.
Good point. I've ridden with Harley people here, about 90% are like Crane mentioned. However, there are a few that can really ride the wheels off of something from Milwaukee.

Teaser alert. Schizz, wait until you hear what the Mystery Rider has cooking. Some might call it "heavy metal viagra".
This will require a showdown with the "Salminator" of Trice. The Mystery Rider is a quiet guy, I am doing the "super pac" ad thing for him. LOL! And that's all I'm saying.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #9582
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Heavy metal Viagra? Please don't tell us that this involves a vacuum pump or anything like that ;)
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #9583
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
As an employee of the United States Federal Government for almost 30 years, I can attest that the same thing holds true for all agencies of government as well. Contractors that provides services to the government are also selling what is known as Perpetuation and Justification of Self. This is a means to an end for virtually any bureaucracy.
As many of y'all know Texas' agency that controls the cops ( can't think of the name at the moment) has some sort of blanket warning that travel into Mexico is unsafe. Not only is it silly and self serving but I have had cops and Border Patrol question me and mention that I was going against this "advice" when I went into Mexico.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #9584
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
CNN is reporting a shooting outside the tourist entrance to the Empire State Building. Who wants to start the Is the USA Safe? Thread?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #9585
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 8,120
That nut-job in Norway just got 21 years for killing 77 people. Not too safe there, neither.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014