Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #9721
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
$7K for labor. I don't know weather to laugh or cry!. Woops I read that wrong. $7K for parts and $1,500 for labor. I still don't know whether to laugh or cry!
I never really like that bike anyway the front and rear frame are bend heard you coming to texas SR let me know when you get here for a beer or two
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #9722
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Southbound

Well, I finally got my bike back from the shop yesterday. Somewhat better than you Bato, ($3500 to repair what they did). They did a lousy job, and never even indicated that the subframe, (supporting the seat and panniers), was bent. It rides fine, but I'll look a bit like the Beverly Hillbillies heading down the road with my saddlebags at about a 10 degree angle off vertical. I'll either try and straighten that when I get home, or find a used on on Ebay. I had to take it back to have the forks tweaked, as the handlebars were slightly off kilter as well. They fixed that at no cost after I had one of their young mechanics almost in tears as he explained to me how he didn't know how to correct that, and how hard it would be to fix that. What do you expect for $89/hour labor? A skilled motorcycle mechanic? Upshot is that I spent the entire day at the dealer's trying to resolve issues they hadn't addressed with the bike. Good news is that they billed me for about 3/4 of what the estimate was to fix it.

I took the bike for a ride afterwards for a short time, and found that both my wrists are incredibly sore. Seems I had a full grip on the bars when I wrecked, so I'm hoping it's not too painful on the ride home. I'm hoping the bike is solid mechanically, and it seems so at this point.

So I leave Santa Fe this morning for Mexico. I'm gonna stay in the US as long as I can by heading down thru Texas, (direct to Fort Stockton, then down along the border via Del Rio/Piedras Negras and cross over at Columbia or Laredo), in case some other issues arise once I get some miles/hours on the rebuilt bike. It felt good to be back on the bike yesterday, but we'll see how well my body holds up, so I may be taking my time. With luck I'll be at Laredo tomorrow night, or Sunday at the latest, then down to SMA. I may take a detour thru Monclova as I've never been that way before.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #9723
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Well, I finally got my bike back from the shop yesterday. Somewhat better than you Bato, ($3500 to repair what they did). They did a lousy job, and never even indicated that the subframe, (supporting the seat and panniers), was bent. It rides fine, but I'll look a bit like the Beverly Hillbillies heading down the road with my saddlebags at about a 10 degree angle off vertical. I'll either try and straighten that when I get home, or find a used on on Ebay. I had to take it back to have the forks tweaked, as the handlebars were slightly off kilter as well. They fixed that at no cost after I had one of their young mechanics almost in tears as he explained to me how he didn't know how to correct that, and how hard it would be to fix that. What do you expect for $89/hour labor? A skilled motorcycle mechanic? Upshot is that I spent the entire day at the dealer's trying to resolve issues they hadn't addressed with the bike. Good news is that they billed me for about 3/4 of what the estimate was to fix it.

I took the bike for a ride afterwards for a short time, and found that both my wrists are incredibly sore. Seems I had a full grip on the bars when I wrecked, so I'm hoping it's not too painful on the ride home. I'm hoping the bike is solid mechanically, and it seems so at this point.

So I leave Santa Fe this morning for Mexico. I'm gonna stay in the US as long as I can by heading down thru Texas, (direct to Fort Stockton, then down along the border via Del Rio/Piedras Negras and cross over at Columbia or Laredo), in case some other issues arise once I get some miles/hours on the rebuilt bike. It felt good to be back on the bike yesterday, but we'll see how well my body holds up, so I may be taking my time. With luck I'll be at Laredo tomorrow night, or Sunday at the latest, then down to SMA. I may take a detour thru Monclova as I've never been that way before.
Miguelito,
I'm in West Texas so let me know if you have problems I'll help you. Saludos, Jim
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #9724
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
I will probably be in San Anton the next weekend
That's what the UPS man is hoping because your pile of boxes is HUGE at Casa Tricepilot
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #9725
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I wish I was in the plata business in Mexico too
Old 09-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #9726
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Miguelito,
I'm in West Texas so let me know if you have problems I'll help you. Saludos, Jim
Thanks Jim. I'm in Ft. Stockton tonight, and the bike ran well today. With any luck, I'll be back in Central Mexico early next week.

Quote:
I hope you get that bike straightened out and get back to Mexico. Nothing worse than having a guango ride.
So far so good. The dealer straightened out the fork issue, and the subframe is not affecting the performance as far as I can tell, but I have yet to ride it on anything approaching what I'd call a "curve". I may not get to lean it into a real corner till I get home and get out to the Sierra Gordas. Looking forward to that...
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #9727
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
Quote:
I have to buy a bunch of parts and FARKLES all at once when I drive up. It's hard to bring that kind of stuff down on a plane. Factor in $800 for toll roads, gas, and hotels for a border run and I probably come out underwater on savings, but I get to visit some amigos. If I get the red button at the Aduana, I'll wish I never came. They'll slap 16% on everything on the car.
Ok, but think of all the great riding we have on our respective doorsteps!

Eat, drink, and be merry...you could have been born Amish!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #9728
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Some important stuff.
Up in the Huasteca Alta region of the state of Veracruz, the Platon Sanchez/Tantoyuca area, they've organized a vigilante civil defense group that is going to start arming themselves and looking for narcos and bandits. They are known in Spanish as a "guardia civil".

This is due to the ineffectivness of the military and local police in the area. People are fed up and have sent a letter to President Calderon outlining their beefs with the lack of security.

So what does this have to do with ADV riders?

There is a possibility that a citizen run roadblock could be mistaken for a criminal one, not to mention general confusion as to who is who.
This is not too far from where the buses were robbed last Christmas and in the general area where the loose trailer crashed into the bus of migrants heading north.
The area is a rough triangle shape from Alamo to El Higo to Platon Sanchez up around the border with Tamaulipas and San Luis Potosi.

Just a head's up for anyone coming in this way. It likely won't affect the Mex #180 coast highway. It is more inland.
The locals are genuinely pissed off about the going's on up there.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #9729
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
I think the people of Cheran, Michoacan have done the same thing.

http://beforeitsnews.com/immigration...a-2421423.html

I don't ride over that way much anymore, you never know what you might run into.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #9730
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I'm going to move to that area, buy a horse, and ride with the vigilantes.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #9731
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
I think the people of Cheran, Michoacan have done the same thing.

http://beforeitsnews.com/immigration...a-2421423.html

I don't ride over that way much anymore, you never know what you might run into.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #9732
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

10 Pieces of Travel Advice to Ignore
Old 09-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #9733
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Like I said, it's only a head's up for that area. Just so you know who the players are, things are different up there.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #9734
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

FYI my link was unrelated to what you posted, if that's what you're thinking
Old 09-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #9735
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

It crossed my mind, but then I noticed something shiny on the TV and I forgot all about it.
But another crack out of you like that and I'll have to handle things like the way things are taken care of down here.
I'm warning you...
I'll fire the soccer coach! LOL!