ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #9916
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Yep, I just went down there and dropped a few turds
Must be connected to the story about the morning coffee ritual discussed moons ago
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #9917
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: USA
Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Must be connected to the story about the morning coffee ritual discussed moons ago
You have a great memory amigo! Only now instead of reading the paper, I play the guitar for the wife. She gets a morning serenade while I get my practice in before heading to work. Life is good!
__________________

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #9918
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Only now instead of reading the paper, I play the guitar for the wife. She gets a morning serenade while I get my practice in before heading to work. Life is good!
I think we have the video of one of these episodes

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #9919
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: USA
Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I think we have the video of one of these episodes
Probably more like this:
__________________

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #9920
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,387
Damn! If you can play like that, you can have your way with me!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #9921
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,387
My contacts in the CIA, using satellite technology, have spotted SR & family about an hour south of San Antonio headed north.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #9922
Bato
Studly Adventurer
 
Bato's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: TEJAS
Oddometer: 908
So .. Mexadventure ACE insurance called they going to make me a check for 9k plus the add on's I paid 2500 pesos transportation from Durango to Acuna . Actually I paid 1500 to Torreon from there a friend of son who has 18 wheelrs brought it to the border and gave 1000 pesos tip to the chofer Im glad i was able to cancel the permit . havent be riding since need to make sure the foot welds well but getting close maybe in a couple of weeks will be heading back to Mexico.


Glad you are in Texas SR hope to see you tomorrow

Bato screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 10:26 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #9923
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I notice that Mexico Mike has updated his Mexican permit info - http://mexicomike.com/livebetter/car_permit.htm

Notice all of the "I heard this but there may be exceptions" comments. Is Mexico, amigos ;)

Looks like Trice is right. You need a vehicle permit outside the border zone in Tamaliupas.

And the Sonora only permit only allows you to drive to San Carlos.

Motor homes can take in multiple motorcycles but read the details.
Sonora has a free zone, laughingly referred to by the Aduana SAT tax people as the "Hassle Free Zone". Per the map that someone put up yesterday, the free zone in Sonora is From Agua Prieta (Douglas) north of Mexico HWY 2 West to Mexico HWY 15 and south to Empalme. That puts San Carlos, Kino Bay and Peñasco in the no permit required zone.

As for the rest of the state of Sonora, you have 2 options. You can get the full blown national permit and pay a deposit of $200,$300 or $400. As of last June, they actually charge your credit card where in the past they threatened to charge you if you did not return the permit. You can also get "Sonora Only" which is goo for the whole state. The Rio Sonora, the Sierra Madre, Yecora and Alamos and the cities of CD Obregon and Navojoa all require on or the other type of permit. With the Sonora Only, you pay $50 and there is no deposit. The permit will always be conterminous with your visa - 7days for free or 180 days for a fee. If you cross at Douglas/AP, or Naco (when they re open) you can get a Sonora Only. If you cross at Nogales and try to get a Sonora Only at the Banjercito at KM 21 they will tell you you have to go to Empalme. Crazy. I have a full national on my Tiger, My wife has Sonora Only on the Suburban. Once past the Checkpoits at 30 KM (Fronteres, Mututicachi and San Antonio, you chances of being stopped for a permit check are almost nil. I drove my Suburban to Moctezuma this week to pick up a stranded biker. The trailer has expired plates and is not on the permiso. No one gave me a 2nd look.

The tourist interests outside the free zone are trying to get all of Sonora Free Zone - no permits needed like Baja and Baja Sur. If you want to help, send a pm. There is a bunch of info on permits I put together at http://www.losarcossonora.com/index....ps/attheborder.
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #9924
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: USA
Oddometer: 2,525
Bato, glad to hear that Mexadventure insurance made good. They are the ones I always use, and I have heard good about them in the past. Glad of course you are doing good as well.
__________________

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #9925
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Sonora has a free zone, laughingly referred to by the Aduana SAT tax people as the "Hassle Free Zone". Per the map that someone put up yesterday, the free zone in Sonora is From Agua Prieta (Douglas) north of Mexico HWY 2 West to Mexico HWY 15 and south to Empalme. That puts San Carlos, Kino Bay and Peñasco in the no permit required zone.

As for the rest of the state of Sonora, you have 2 options. You can get the full blown national permit and pay a deposit of $200,$300 or $400. As of last June, they actually charge your credit card where in the past they threatened to charge you if you did not return the permit. You can also get "Sonora Only" which is goo for the whole state. The Rio Sonora, the Sierra Madre, Yecora and Alamos and the cities of CD Obregon and Navojoa all require on or the other type of permit. With the Sonora Only, you pay $50 and there is no deposit. The permit will always be conterminous with your visa - 7days for free or 180 days for a fee. If you cross at Douglas/AP, or Naco (when they re open) you can get a Sonora Only. If you cross at Nogales and try to get a Sonora Only at the Banjercito at KM 21 they will tell you you have to go to Empalme. Crazy. I have a full national on my Tiger, My wife has Sonora Only on the Suburban. Once past the Checkpoits at 30 KM (Fronteres, Mututicachi and San Antonio, you chances of being stopped for a permit check are almost nil. I drove my Suburban to Moctezuma this week to pick up a stranded biker. The trailer has expired plates and is not on the permiso. No one gave me a 2nd look.

The tourist interests outside the free zone are trying to get all of Sonora Free Zone - no permits needed like Baja and Baja Sur. If you want to help, send a pm. There is a bunch of info on permits I put together at http://www.losarcossonora.com/index....ps/attheborder.

Thanks Man! Very interesting!

Is there still a decent RV park community at San Carlos?

I have heard that Mexico doesn't issue any sort of permit for utility trailers. RV trailers, on the other hand, can get a 10 year "mobile house" permit.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #9926
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
on the other hand, can get a 10 year "mobile house" permit.
I've seen a few Harleys that could likely qualify for that. The "mi casa es su casa" license plate frame would not be out of place.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #9927
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Harley's, Gold Wings, K1200LT's. All so big you can live on them ;)
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #9928
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Thanks Man! Very interesting!

Is there still a decent RV park community at San Carlos?

I have heard that Mexico doesn't issue any sort of permit for utility trailers. RV trailers, on the other hand, can get a 10 year "mobile house" permit.
Your utility trailer permit is associated with your car permit and you have to present both the trailer and the car when you clear the paper work.

I have not talked to anyone about the 10 year permits since the law was "adjusted" in June. I think the 10 year RV, camping trailer deal still exists. If it is a trailer, the tow vehicle gets a regular permiso though. The problem is that that they rotate people through the Banjecito and they all make up their own rules at times. Since I sell hotel rooms and not RV spaces, I have not kept up but I'll try to have a chat next time I'm at the border.

As for San Carlos, yes, they have RV parks. Lots of Gringos and Canadians. There is one behind the Best Western almost just across from Charlie's Rock, and more to the west.
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #9929
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Thanks Amigo. If I live long enough - and at this point have no reason to think otherwise - San Carlos for a few months is on my bucket list.

Just as another data point to further confuze (sic) anyone reading this, in another thread I mention that the paperwork isn't signed yet but I think that I am getting a mid sized truck to recondition and use as a 5th wheel travel trailer toter. One thing that scared me away from converting a larger Class 8 truck was that I had heard of a few tales of the Mexican authorities not recognizing a large truck as being a private RV hauler unless the travel trailer is attached. That becomes a serious issue if you drop the trailer and leave Mexico, then try to return to retrieve the trailer. Sounds like a PITA but most US states also make you jump through hoops if you convert a big truck.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #9930
miguelito
Studly Adventurer
 
miguelito's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: San Miguel de Allende, GTO, Mexico
Oddometer: 505
PJ: FYI, I stopped at the fancy RV park out toward the resorts at the far end of San Carlos a few years ago to research what it would cost to park my Airstream there, and was amazed at the price I was quoted, (which translated to about $30/day, US). I'm hoping they have a better monthly rate. Not sure what the one across from Charley's Rock costs.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014