Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #10201
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Thanks. We have been buying yearly insurance now for 5 years and we have never had a claim. Most of our neighbors don't have insurance so they have no experience with claims adjusters here. My wife imported here 2005 F650GS because she couldn't get a TVIP on it and the Suburban at the same time. We still have it titled and licensed in the US as well as Mexico and swap plates in the US. We looked at full coverage on the Mexican plate and it was much higher than tourist insurance from the same carrier.

Hope you have this crashing thing out of your system now.
SR needs buddy crash insurance...
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #10202
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #10203
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I have to disagree. I sport bike could be fun in Mexico. Heck, there are probably 4 or 5 of them for every DS bike here. So someone is enjoying them. About half of the guys who ride them are teenaged squid looking to get severely hurt, but there are also some serious guys on sportbikes with all the gear. It looks like they have a lot of fun.
True. I read his question to be about riding south of Mexico. A local rider here (Austin) rode a Ninja to Ushuaia last year so I know it can be done even by a relatively inexperienced rider. However, the farther south he rode the more his bike was like a fish out if water. Far better to do it on a cheap DS like a used KLR or even a Sherpa 250 like jdowns is riding. rtwpaul described some of the SA roads where the Nick Sanders group dropped most of their DS bikes. A sport bike would take (and give) quite a beating on such roads.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #10204
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,721
nice tag line JD
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #10205
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 859
Fiesta at el Hotel. Celebrating 3 birthdays and the 3rd anniversary of Hotel Los Arcos.

Carne Asada was the obvious choice on such a suspicious caucasian

The lovely Claudia having a nosh

Not quite Gringolandia tonight with a mix of locals and gringos including some hotel guests. Cervesas were consumed. Desert of chocolate cake and home made (by Mrs. TC) vanilla ice cream. Somehow, shots of Bacanora never materialized but maybe next time we have a fiesta or a sunny day or just a day...

Nine out of eleven Banamichi expats in attendance, including one mujer de alemania who practices Qi Gong healing. Only 4 of us including Gerlinde, are full time.

Ask me again why I love Mexico. Maybe I'll sneak out for a ride tomorrow
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #10206
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,994
Is Mexico safe?
Safe enough for me to head out in less than an hour into a thunderstorm and darkness so I can meet up with the Craneguy and his pal in Coatepec and show them the "Jimmy" ride. I like to get out of town before light these days, traffic is lighter and I won't be getting splashed very much. It's raining on the coast but should be clearing up inland, (he said hopefully ha,ha!).
Is Mexico safe?
If it's where you live, it's where you ride! LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #10207
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,269
American Shot in Reynosa

PHARR – A 38-year-old Pharr man was released from the hospital Tuesday after surviving a shooting in Reynosa over the weekend that sent him to the Pharr-Reynosa International Bridge with a gunshot wound to the head, authorities said.

Jose Luis Ruiz had been driving to the Tamaulipas port city of Tampico on Sunday morning and was southbound on the outskirts of Reynosa when he noticed a tan Chevrolet Tahoe with three men in it following him, according to an internal Pharr Police Department memo.

The men signaled for him to pull over, but he refused and instead turned around and began driving north, back toward the city, the memo said. Ruiz refused to stop even as the men displayed rifles and began shooting through the back window of his red Ford Ranger.

When he was struck on the right side of the head, he lost control of the truck and stopped, the memo said. The gunmen approached his car and tried to open the driver’s-side door, but were unable to and left. Ruiz was able to flee to the Pharr bridge, where he arrived about 8:20 a.m. asking for help.

Ruiz was transported to McAllen Medical Center, according to the memo. Pharr police Chief Ruben Villescas said Tuesday night that he had been released. Public records list Ruiz as having a San Antonio address, but Villescas said he had recently moved to Pharr.

Villescas said Immigration and Customs Enforcement, as well as the FBI, had been notified of the incident, but that Mexican law enforcement was taking the lead on the investigation. He said Pharr police had been unable to interview the victim because they were waiting on Mexican agents to do so.

“It’s not our investigation, we’re just waiting on the Mexican authorities,” Villescas said. “We spoke to him briefly, but then he was placed under sedation.”

Reached by The Monitor on Tuesday evening, Ruben Dario Rios, spokesman for the Tamaulipas attorney general's office, had little to offer on the subject. “We don't have any information about any incidents or anything of that nature,” he said in Spanish.

Villescas said he did not know exactly where the incident had occurred, but emphasized that it was far south of the bridge.

He noted the similarity to the shooting of Nancy Davis, the 59-year-old missionary who died last year after an attack on a highway near San Fernando, Tamps., Mexico. Davis also arrived at the Pharr bridge with a gunshot wound to the head after she and her husband refused to stop at a checkpoint.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #10208
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,232
Ugh. Sounds dubious though.

jimmex screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 07:35 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #10209
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
SR needs buddy crash insurance...
SR buddy's usually caries their own insurance...., I thik !

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #10210
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama

Oddometer: 300
Round Two

Osmosis People...

Can anyone tell me if you need to use the same border crossing to "export" your bike back into the USA as when you rode into Mexico? My gut guess is you can use any one of them but thought I'd ask. I'm finally getting off my ancient ass and ready to ride the old Ninja back to Nogales. Late last spring when I returned to the USA I made a wrong turn or two and ended up crossing at TJ, not my first choice. By the time I wormed my way through the throng of people heading north I didn't feel like going back to do the re-entry thing right so I headed home. I have another 2 1/2 weeks to go back and do it over so I'm leaving tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.

Thanks from Orygun

LL75

PS - Yup, I kept all the paperwork, receipts, sticker, etc. MX insurance is also good through the end of Oct.
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #10211
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
Osmosis People...

Can anyone tell me if you need to use the same border crossing to "export" your bike back into the USA as when you rode into Mexico? My gut guess is you can use any one of them but thought I'd ask. I'm finally getting off my ancient ass and ready to ride the old Ninja back to Nogales. Late last spring when I returned to the USA I made a wrong turn or two and ended up crossing at TJ, not my first choice. By the time I wormed my way through the throng of people heading north I didn't feel like going back to do the re-entry thing right so I headed home. I have another 2 1/2 weeks to go back and do it over so I'm leaving tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.

Thanks from Orygun

LL75

PS - Yup, I kept all the paperwork, receipts, sticker, etc. MX insurance is also good through the end of Oct.
Yes, you can turn the TVIP in at any Banjercito office on the border. They are all networked over the internet. At Nogales, you have to go down to KM 21, hang a u-turn and go to the "Retornos" building on the east side of Hwy 15. You can also turn it in at Naco on weekends (Thursday 4 pm to 10 pm, Friday - Sunday 10 am to 10 pm.) The ofice is just past the border gate on the left with lots of parking. Almost never a line in Naco, easy in easy out. If you had your passport stamped clear your visa as well. Douglas/Agua Prieta is easy as well, also just past the gate on the right. Immigration and the Banjercito co-located wit a copy guy right there in the office. Cananea is tough t find the first time and there is no migration office there.

Easy. See http://www.losarcossonora.com/index....ps/attheborder
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #10212
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
The Road South

In 2008 I skipped over Mexico, Central America and Northern SA to begin my journey South to Ushuaia from Valparaiso on a rented DR650. Most of our route was on Ruta 8 in Chile and 40 in Argentina. Most of it was on "improved" gravel roads. The legendary "ripio". There were times when I could only characterize this stuff as "greased marbles" They use larger gravel down there. It banks up in the middle of the road and in the turns. The road is often not truly two lanes, but three tracks and if you are riding in the middle track you have to cross the deep gravel to get to the right track to make room for oncoming traffic. I doubt that this has changed a lot in the last four years. I guess people do it but I would not want to ride a sport bike on that trip. Some of our group were on their big bikes....950's and 1200's. When they got to ride the 650's they said that they wished they were on lighter bikes...the big bikes tend to plow in the deep gravel. We started with 11 riders... three guys had to be flown home due to falls, another guy fell 13 or 18 times and turned a new 650 Dakar into rubble, another rider on a new Adventure had a hard centerline kiss with a rider coming the other way on a 650GS. They exchanged insurance info., she had to get a tow due to bent wheel and forks, our rider just had some scrapes on the great pumpkin. We all went on our way. The point of recounting this is INSURANCE. Our boy was insured, or so we thought, we spent a lot of time making sure we had all the right insurance the first time we crossed into Argentina. A week or so later we crossed the Drake Channel on the ferry and when we tried to leave Chile they impounded home boy's bike because the woman he had hit, who was Spanish, was able to convince a judge to impound our friend's bike until she got a settlement. Definitely helps to know the language. Homeboy hitchhiked on a sausage truck back across the country to where we had first crossed, saw the judge, got release papers and the stink eye from the Spanish babe, hitched back to where his bike was in prison, rode 1700 KM in one day and caught up with us three days later. Oh to be 30 and a mountain bike racer! So, get insurance, stay on your own side of the road and don't ride a sport bike on the ripio or ignore all of this and go have a good time. BTW, not only will you be riding on greased marbles but when you get to the roaring forties the wind blows 60-80 mph.... non stop. You will learn some interesting techniques to deal with it and just hope that it does not blow anything large in front of you.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #10213
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,639
Hey RMO,

That's exactly how rtwpaul described the road conditions he encountered on the Nick Sanders expedition last year. No sport bikes in the group but there was one guy riding a H-D Sportster.

Sounds like a pretty tough ride.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 10:40 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #10214
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
THat pic made me laugh like they really care about the people.How bad is that stuff there spraying around that family? but the family wasnt given any protective gear or made to go inside,just appalling if the pestilence doesnt get ya the pesticides and chemicals will
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #10215
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,994
I take it, in the post above, you are referring to the fogging they do for dengue.
It's safe. I use it in my garden.
It is also a helluva lot better than getting any of the strains of dengue!

Yesterday's ride with Craneguy and Doug "from cowtown" a fellow Canuck, was memorable for being able to see the underbelly of a V-Strom 1000 in my rear view mirror and watching a Suzuki Intruder handle gravel like it was kid's play.
Thanks Stephan and Doug for a really fun ride!
The way back saw the founding of the "Is Mexico Safe" swim team while navigating the flooding in Xalapa.

Doug, I will email you as soon as your business card that was in my wallet in my jacket pocket dries out and I can read it! LOL! Water got into places where it shouldn't be!

Schizz, remember that rain that you and Donnie and I hit coming back through La Tinaja? It was about 10 times worse yesterday in Xalapa! LOL! Big fun!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote