Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #10306
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
[QUOTE=MikeMike;19813579]Here's the link that shows a gray Toyota (used by embassy people and not just DEA) and it was Mexican Federal police and not "the army".
And no, it wasn't a case of confused ID.

[URL]http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/ap-exclusive-official-says-organized-crime-possible-in-attack-on-cia-officers-in-mexico/2012/10/02/c07d0df2-0ccc-11e2-97a7-45c05ef136b2_story.html[/

Hey thanks for the clarification! I feel much better now knowing that it was Federales bullets and not Army! What a relief, those hurt way less plus have a number of bullet fired to kill ratio way lower than the Army's! Oh yeah, good to know the car was grey not gold too. That makes a big difference, never mind that the Embassy only uses GM and black as standard. but you are right MikeMike I should not have posted w/o knowing all the facts, all I knew was from word of mouth. My bad.
On a serious note, feel bad that such a great part of the world is turning into a place to avoid. If it was me riding solo i would take the chances but my wife/ kids not worth the try. This is why I'm asking for people's views of the situation on the ground.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #10307
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,482
We try to keeps the facts straight around here.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #10308
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 828
On a serious note, feel bad that such a great part of the world is turning into a place to avoid. If it was me riding solo i would take the chances but my wife/ kids not worth the try. This is why I'm asking for people's views of the situation on the ground.[/QUOTE]

GSAragazzi, I won't try to minimize the events in Tres Marias but per the WaPo article, the agents had been traveling back and forth to the camp many times and they were specifically targeted. A solo rider or even a small group is likely not going to be noticed if they are passing through an area. No one is going to pay some bad cops to go after a few turistas. But in the final analysis, you must make your own assessments and use your own judgement about the risks to you and your family. But please make them based not only on the facts of this situation (facts often being a hard thing to come by in Mexico) but on the broader picture of how the violence happens and where.

As the article says, the cartels have lost their top guys and the second and third tier guys who have taken over are not as business savvy and don't understand that, as Don Corleone said, blood costs money.

I'm fortunate to be in a very safe area in the very safe state of Sonora.

Saludos
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #10309
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I'm fortunate to be in a very safe area in the very safe state of Sonora.
Sounds like a hotel owner
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #10310
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Sounds like a hotel owner

But I'm a rider and I love Mexico. I want the best for this country and for visitors here. I can say honestly that I have never sugarcoated the situation here.

Saludos

Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #10311
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,106
Au Contraire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I can say honestly that I have never sugarcoated the situation here.
I have proof that you have:

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #10312
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

That would be Mrs. TC, she is much sweeter than I am.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #10313
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post

Hey thanks for the clarification! I feel much better now knowing that it was Federales bullets and not Army! What a relief, those hurt way less plus have a number of bullet fired to kill ratio way lower than the Army's! Oh yeah, good to know the car was grey not gold too. That makes a big difference, never mind that the Embassy only uses GM and black as standard. but you are right MikeMike I should not have posted w/o knowing all the facts, all I knew was from word of mouth. My bad.

Schizz, the big bad gringo man with the special warfare badge made me cry!

Hey, it's all good! Maybe if he comes down he can meet mi Tia "Tuchi".

And in other news...photo up date from the 1st Annual Rally La Ruta del Cafe in La Esperanza coming up.
Craneguy and I are going to make the evening news out of Xalapa.

Andres and Arte did a helluva job along with all the great people in La Esperanza to put on a really good motorcycle event!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #10314
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I have proof that you have:

I've decided to appropriate this photo. I'm liking it.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #10315
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

And in other news...photo up date from the 1st Annual Rally La Ruta del Cafe in La Esperanza coming up.

Andres and Arte did a helluva job along with all the great people in La Esperanza to put on a really good motorcycle event!
Really a fantastic day. I know Mexico pretty well now but that had to be the friendliest group of people I've EVER met!

Looks like there's going to be another media outlet we can't trust. The interview is with a brit and a canuck and the canuck does all the talking. Talk about slanted reporting! :-D

I won't hear anything bad said about the mexican people. Take out the asshole element (as with all countries) and they and their roads, food and honest hospitality make this a place that shouldn't be avoided. Hell, we were 100 miles from anywhere and everyone even spoke some English!

Get on your bikes and ride people and call us when you get here!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #10316
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,177
My girlfriend and I have just traveled from A. Prieta down to Moctezuma, Son. on some really nice Sierra roads. No problems, not even a mean look have we received. We were going to stay at Turkey Creek's sweet hotelito but found ourselves on the wrong side of some pretty big Sierra late in the day. We are almost certainly the only gringo in this little pueblo and I like it. Cold Pacificos in a plastic bag with hielo.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #10317
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Really a fantastic day. I know Mexico pretty well now but that had to be the friendliest group of people I've EVER met!

Looks like there's going to be another media outlet we can't trust. The interview is with a brit and a canuck and the canuck does all the talking. Talk about slanted reporting! :-D

I won't hear anything bad said about the mexican people. Take out the asshole element (as with all countries) and they and their roads, food and honest hospitality make this a place that shouldn't be avoided. Hell, we were 100 miles from anywhere and everyone even spoke some English!

Get on your bikes and ride people and call us when you get here!

Old 10-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #10318
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, some early pics from the rally.
I need to mention that the people in La Esperanza are among the most kind, generous, and truly warm folks you will find in all of Mexico. They make their village proud!
It was good to meet up with Andres again, and great to meet Arte and the boys from up north. All really good guys and great riders!
The morning breakfast was cooked up by the local ladies, eggs with a chile salsa que no tienen mama!, beans, and fresh homemade tortillas.
It is worth going to La Esperanza just for the coffee, too. Some of the best in Mexico and produced by the relatives of Andres, a family with a century of experience.
It's called "Greenland" for a reason, as you will see.
I am sure you'll see more pics when Arte and Andres get back, they were leaving tonight after the rally. Hardcore guys, doing the rally and then riding out of town and back home. If you know the area, you know these guys can ride.
I won't spoil the finishing order, I'll let Arte let you know. This was a benefit event for the local school, a really good cause. Real good, fun, party atmosphere and I know that the Craneguy and I will be at the next one for sure and we'll be bringing more people next time.

Start line was beside the rec center. Notice the blue sky, unlike the previous two days of rain! Today was warm and sunny.

Good turn out of people from different parts of the state and pretty much the whole village.

The people below are discussing CraneGuy's refusal to start from the pit beside the rec center.
He couldn't be convinced. LOL!

Why they call it Greenland
Somewhere by those mountains 4 wheelers, bikes, two up 4 wheelers, you name it, were jockeying for position
for close to 2 hours.

A flashy CraneGuy stops to "reflect" for a moment.

Unfortunately, we both finished out of the running. Two little lambs who have lost their way. "Follow me, Steve,
I know the route". "But Mike, the road just seems to end in those trees". "Well, it didn't 3 years ago"!

Every time I go to La Esperanza I spot interesting wildlife. One year it was a Jaguarondi, another year it was a Yorkshireman on a Harley, and this year it was a camel.

The above pic prompted CraneGuy to explain "50 Shades of Gray" as practiced in certain locales he has worked in.

What's inside that bag is pure magic!

Thanks Andres (who sacrificed his appendix) and Arte who enjoyed the Pepito and Sarita joke!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #10319
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

Yep, about the level of hospitality as I expected. I should too introduce you to my cousin Ben. Funny last name Tuchi something to do with a Madre who's 1st name is Chinga (she must be Chinese or something'). Something like Ben (cousin) Tuchi (last name) Mrs Chinga (someone's Madre).
Those a gret picks and clearly a great ride. Trying to book a bike in DF but no dice. I can only find singles and I really want something larger. Any leads?
Enjoy the Joe in good health.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #10320
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Trying to book a bike in DF but no dice.
Gee, does that mean you're not coming down?

Over here on the Gulf coast we take our "bull" seriously.

MikeMike screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 05:51 PM