Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #11041
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I've been trying to figure out how one could guarantee a 5 gal bottle is filtered water.. Not saying I have a general distrust (or that I don't), , but I could see some places refilling 5 gallon bottles from the tap and charging bottled water prices to help with profit.. I would be much more comfortable with small bottles that have tamper proof lids but understand the trash factor. I have water bottles with purifier straws, sounds like I may be taking them along.. Not the easiest for filling a hydration pack though.
The modern equivalent to drinking from a stream then walking upstream is drinking bottled water then visiting a water purification plant. Made that mistake once in Mexico. Never again.

I no longer pack all the various supplies I once did. Just carry a large prescription bottle of Hydrocodone 10. Learned that can be traded for anything you need.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #11042
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
No, Mexicans kill one another for money and drug territory (valuable.) It is Norte Americanos who kill others for no good reason. Think Aurora theater, Virginia Tech, etc., etc.
Can we stand down on this one? There's a measure of truth in each of these posts but none offer very much on this thread.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 11-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #11043
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Can we stand down on this one? There's a measure of truth in each of these posts but none offer very much on this thread.
Done.

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #11044
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
While riding back east from Tombstone we took NM route 9 through the Animas Valley to Columbus New Mexico where we checked in at Martha's Place (more on that later) crossed in to Mexico for dinner at the Pink Store& Restaurant(excellent) in Palomas. We took a stroll around town, dropped off a prescription at the Optica,my riding buddy got an eye exam by a doctor who was highly recommended by the owner of Martha's Place, had a couple of beers at a local cantina and rode back to Columbus after sundown. I must say that the border crossing was quick, the authorities were pleasant and the folks in Palomas could not have been nicer. I never once felt or saw anything that would cause me alarm. Went back the next day to pick up our glasses strolled around some more and departed for the east.
Now a word about Martha's Place. Martha and her husband Javier were great hosts, very attentive to our needs and very informative about the area, Pancho Villa State Park, the border crossing and Palomas. The room with two beds and a bath was spotless and a bargain at $60. The restaurant served an excellent breakfast. Great place I recommend it.
I just thought I would pass along my experience because I have not seen much about this area on this thread. Hope it helps someone. Here's a pic of Martha's Place.
Thanks for the info Joe Mc . . . might take a ride over there sometime while I'm in the SE AZ area.
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #11045
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,097
Quote:
Just carry a large prescription bottle of Hydrocodone 10. Learned that can be traded for anything you need.
After you posted that you're sitting there thinking "just give him 5 minutes, I know he'll read that and be here in 5 minutes"
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #11046
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
After you posted that you're sitting there thinking "just give him 5 minutes, I know he'll read that and be here in 5 minutes"
Sumpin' like dat.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #11047
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Cool Hand Puke

Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #11048
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,937
Quote:
Just carry a large prescription bottle of Hydrocodone 10. Learned that can be traded for anything you need.
Uh, not anymore, those would be USDA approved breast implants, these days you could barter them for anything. Especially outside a Mexican Harley dealership.

And in other news...its Antonio's last day behind the bar on Thursday at the Rivoli. End of an era.
I shall buy him one of his favorite Long Island Iced Tea's with your regards.
The man knows his cocktails.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #11049
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I'd be reluctant to hang around Juarez these days, although I did spend a day there about 12 years ago and lived to tell the tale.

Otherwise wouldn't worry too much. And while I agree with everyone about situational awareness personally I hang around Nuevo Progreso, Reynosa, and Nuevo Laredo - all border towns - and have no troubles.

The most nervous that I have been when in Nuevo Laredo was when I went to get my hair cut and realized that all the young lookouts were getting their hair styled at the same place that I was at ;)

I'm suspicious of any guy that gets his hair styled!
kantuckid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #11050
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
No, Mexicans kill one another for money and drug territory (valuable.) It is Norte Americanos who kill others for no good reason. Think Aurora theater, Virginia Tech, etc., etc.
FAR MORE USA Americans die for the same drug issues as you state above , than as happened at the VT thing, which was resultant from mental illness?... I ran a juvy program sometime ago & this social worker was telling me how dangerous a certain (think backwoods KY mtn area) lace was in a certain county, so I ask hi m if he meant that he was unsafe-he said no they just kill each other,(or those that bother their "crop" of course) thus my point.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #11051
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale74451 View Post
Done.
OK... but I will thrown in on the water thing that I listened to a program on btld water some years back via NPR science friday show & they were talking about so called safe water that we "think" is safe but is not. Wash, DC was one of those spots & some btld water isn't so safe either.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #11052
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
El baluarte

Saw Calderon yestarday driving his armored black suburban trough THE BALUARTE on TV wonder when the new toll road will be open to the public, ready to go and check it
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:16 AM   #11053
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
ready to go and check it
Listo. Vámanos.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #11054
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I'm suspicious of any guy that gets his hair styled!
Me too.I style mine about once a month with Wahl clippers.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #11055
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Wicked

One danger we haven't discussed here is "the end of the world" Much like the hippies on the roof of the skyscraper under the saucer in "Independence day" we must be ready for the sudden surge in Doomsday Tourists heading south. Let's face it, they expect to die in 2 weeks, so why would they look out for Motos?

To start the ball rolling, I thought I would post this picture. It is a ready reference guide on how to identify the applicable calendar, and stay off the roads...

Hmmm.... well it made ME smile!