Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #11356
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Durango state is home to five different species of Native American trout including the southernmost species of native trout in North America (Acoponeta Trout?). Hardly anyone here fishes for them or eats them. They are located in some very isolated areas. There are some hatcheries here. I dont know where they send the trout?

http://www.americanfishes.com/mexico/acaponeta.htm

I had a very nice bit of trout in a restaurant in Coatepec (nr Xalapa) that's known for it. I didn't ask where it was caught.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #11357
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I had a very nice bit of trout in a restaurant in Coatepec (nr Xalapa) that's known for it. I didn't ask where it was caught.
I hope you have noticed that some streams are nicer than others around Mexico. I'd kinda like to know where my fish came from.

The stream at Tula (across the suspension bridge) walking from downtown to the pyramids was a gag-reflex tester.

mark883 screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 01:32 PM Reason: Tula..
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #11358
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,910
All trout I have had came fresh from the mountain streams, I think Craneguy dined at La Cabana del Tio Yayo or such on the way into Coatepec.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #11359
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
All trout I have had came fresh from the mountain streams, I think Craneguy dined at La Cabana del Tio Yayo or such on the way into Coatepec.
One block further on from our breakfast spot.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #11360
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,910
Then it wasnt good old Tio Yayo.
This needs investigating. By the way, the Oxxo in the video needed Tyson working security!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #11361
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
I hope you have noticed that some streams are nicer than others around Mexico. I'd kinda like to know where my fish came from.

The stream at Tula (across the suspension bridge) walking from downtown to the pyramids was a gag-reflex tester.
Agreed, there are plenty of beautiful streams in Mexico. Don't make me pull out my pictures.

It area is called La Salta de Agua Llovida and it is located a couple hours west of Durango city. This area is a nesting ground for Guacamaya (Military Macaw). In the breeding season you can see dozens of them flying around. I think of parrots as being tropical but they look for high mountains with pine trees to nest in in the summer. This stream has trout in it.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #11362
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,557
What?!

No discussion of the rock types visible in the waterfall picture?

You're not slacking on us SR, are you?
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #11363
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
What?!

No discussion of the rock types visible in the waterfall picture?

You're not slacking on us SR, are you?
It is all volcanic rock, rhyolitic tuff, "ignimbrite". Each one of those layers in the photo represents an individual eruption phase. I wouldn't want to be within a 200 Km radius of this area when that upper >30m thick tuff came blasting out of a huge volcanic caldera. That would have been about 20 million years ago.

SR screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 02:54 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #11364
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
When living in Costa Rica I could buy a sim card for my cell phone to get local service and rates. Are sim cards available in Mexico now and where can they be bought?

Thanks;

TravelGuy

I use AT&T, for an extra ~$18 per month I can use my US minutes from the US to Mexico, from Mexico to the US or from Mexico to Mexico. That is with the At&T 450 plan, you can also do it with the plan that has additional minutes, but you can't do it with the unlimited plan. Also, while in a southern location recently where I could not get reception, I paid one peso per minute in one of the telephone booth places.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #11365
noshoes
Having Mexico dreams

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I use AT&T, for an extra ~$18 per month I can use my US minutes from the US to Mexico, from Mexico to the US or from Mexico to Mexico. That is with the At&T 450 plan, you can also do it with the plan that has additional minutes, but you can't do it with the unlimited plan.....
Unlimited plan wants $30 a month for 80 (roaming) minutes.
I don't remember the other prices for more minutes tho..
Old 12-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #11366
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I use AT&T, for an extra ~$18 per month I can use my US minutes from the US to Mexico, from Mexico to the US or from Mexico to Mexico. That is with the At&T 450 plan, you can also do it with the plan that has additional minutes, but you can't do it with the unlimited plan. Also, while in a southern location recently where I could not get reception, I paid one peso per minute in one of the telephone booth places.
I have that plan from AT&T, and it's a decent deal. The big problem is data. You can easily run up a mortgage payment sized bill if you're not careful with a smartphone. I make few calls, but use a lot of data so it didn't make sense for me.
If you only want to nake calls, use a roaming plan. If you have a smartphone and want to use google maps a lot (navigation or translation for example) and don't want to be wifi only, go with prepaid.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #11367
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,545
the road not taken

So I was headed toward Durango from Guanchochi today, had decided to take 24 south, just before Parral, for two reasons - it looked shorter but also twistier than the other option, Mex 45 from Parral.

There's a Pemex and an OXXO at that intersection. In front of the OXXO there's an old guy selling knick-knacks. I pull up for some lunch and we start talking, he's asking me where I'm going. I tell him Durango, he says which way? I point across the road to 24 south and he starts getting fairly animated "Solo, no, solo, no" and wagging his finger at me. He says going the Parral route is better.

While I'm having lunch I'm wondering if an old boy sitting on the pavement qualifies as "local knowledge" in this case, and should I take his advice? I'm thinking about asking the Pemex guys what they think, but I'm leaning toward just going via Parral since I'm not particularly wedded to taking 24. The next minute a truck with a manned machine gun mounted in the bed takes off down 24 - I guess that seals it eh? I took the old guys advice and went via Parral.

I'm not paranoid, just cautious and feeling my way... trying to figure out what "signs" to take notice of and what to ignore...

Here's the road not taken... anyone know if there was any truth to what the old guy was saying?

View Larger Map
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #11368
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshoes View Post
Unlimited plan wants $30 a month for 80 (roaming) minutes.
I don't remember the other prices for more minutes tho..
Come on lets keep the guy rich
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #11369
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,057
^ Looks like he's Slimmed down
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #11370
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
......he starts getting fairly animated "Solo, no, solo, no" and wagging his finger at me.
The obvious message was no Hope for you

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote