Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #11596
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 824
This goes back to the time when only fools could get away with telling the king the truth without fear of being beheaded,
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #11597
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Four women kiiled on the road between Creel and Guachochi, in the Copper Canyon area, apparently for their car. Be informed and make your own decisions:

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2012/1...thers-and.html

This happened on a very well traveled road.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #11598
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
Four women kiiled on the road between Creel and Guachochi, in the Copper Canyon area, apparently for their car. Be informed and make your own decisions:

This worries me...I had tentative plans to ride that area next April...
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #11599
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
None of us have said this doesn't happen, but the telling part is that they resisted. Everyone else made it through poorer, but alive.
Very sad, but you have to wonder if the outcome would have been different if they had just handed over the keys.
I wouldn't consider the risk of leaving my daughter fatherless for what would be a pointless show of defiance.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #11600
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
What do you call a gringo wetback in Mexico?
You call him "happy".
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #11601
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908

Looks like the flag will fly at half pol for good here too Egale Pass

Bato screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 06:45 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #11602
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
In Mexico now. The border crossing at Puerto Palomas was a cinch... half hour or less for both imigracion and Banjercito. There is plenty of parking right in front of the Banjercito trailer/office. No hassles from anyone. Super nice lady at the money exchange across the street. 12.9/pesos/dollar, no fee. As I was fumbling with my peel off permit sticker (my hands are totally f'd with arthritis) a nice elderly man showed me how easy it was to peel it and he asked for nothing for the favor, I tipped him nonetheless. There was no line going in at 12:00 but a pretty big line up of trucks and cars going out. The ride down to Nuevo Casas Grandes is mostly a good but rough asphalt road. The trucks haul ass! The wind and cold were a challenge and I was glad to hit NCG at around 3:30. Great staff here at the Hacienda hotel... learned that moto is slang for a joint... didn't know that... it was fun to yuck it up with the staff on a slow Saturday night. Also found out that the two 100 peso coins (1991) I had been hoarding for God knows how long are now worthless, gave them to the front desk clerk for his ninos. Love this place!
Hey RMO did you stay at Martha's Place?
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #11603
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
You call him "happy".

I think that you may be right!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #11604
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
What do you call a gringo wetback in Mexico?
Either "lost as hell" or "an idiot who lost his passport."
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #11605
PirateJohn
Banned

Has anyone here had an dental work or SCHEDULED medical work done in Mexico. (I am kind of afraid to mention one of our colleague's recent unscheduled emergency visits as being a bad example )

Anyway, there is a thread running about dental work in Mexico and I got jumped by a couple of dentists/MDs who implied that everyone that went to Mexico got crappy dental work. You opinions and comments would probably be welcomed.

I think that if you search for "dentist" you will find the thread. MikeMike was there.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #11606
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post

That could have happened anywhere in the United States.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #11607
PirateJohn
Banned

According to Borderland Beat:

"On December 12, four women left Ciudad Cuauhtemoc, Chihuahua, to go to a funeral in Guachochi. Their last communication with their families was from Creel at around 4:00 p.m. After that, they disappeared. They were driving a white 2012 VW Jetta.

Authorities searched for them using vehicles and a light aircraft. Their bodies were found yesterday, December 15, in a ranch, La Casita, near the town of Samachique, in Guachochi municipality. They had been tortured and murdered, and their car taken.

It turns out that locals had reported a "narco reten", a road block operated by drug trafficking gangs, at about kilometer marker 35 on the road to Guachochi. A group of armed men was stopping vehicles at gunpoint, robbing the drivers and passengers and assaulting them verbally and physically. The lucky ones were let go."

I am having trouble plotting this online, but if they called from Creel at 4PM weren't they deep in the mountains well after sundown? And other people had been stopped but let go?

Once again, there is something else to the story here. Maybe someone resisted, maybe not. But there seems to be several unwise things here.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #11608
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
You missed the fun in the sierra, yesterday.

It was the "Revenge of the ADV Statue" incident. Details and video might follow. If you are lucky and I am not.
MikeMike, I will be sending you the multimedia footage. I'll leave it to the other inmates to coerce you into posting it here!

By the way folks, MM arranged for my bike to get new Pirelli Scorpions this weekend. He then proceeded to busy himself "fixing" my lowered forks and rear suspension settings. The difference to my bike was so incredible I still can't believe it. I've been jonesing for a Multistrada but I think I'll save my money. The man is a genius and if he suggests you modify anything on your bike... Listen!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #11609
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
According to Borderland Beat:

I am having trouble plotting this online, but if they called from Creel at 4PM weren't they deep in the mountains well after sundown? And other people had been stopped but let go?

Once again, there is something else to the story here. Maybe someone resisted, maybe not. But there seems to be several unwise things here.
I can't figure out how anyone would know if they resisted being robbed. The victims are all dead, and there is no mention of having captured any of the perpetrators, who are the only other ones who could know.

Regardless, it doesn't speak well for safety in the Sierra.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #11610
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
That could have happened anywhere in the United States.
I really, really, don't want to start a big argument here, but I can't think of any time I have ever heard of bandits blocking a major road and robbing multiple vehicles in the USA. I like to travel in Mexico as much as anyone, and have done so recently, but facts are facts.