Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #11611
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
I really, really, don't want to start a big argument here, but I can't think of any time I have ever heard of bandits blocking a major road and robbing multiple vehicles in the USA. I like to travel in Mexico as much as anyone, and have done so recently, but facts are facts.
No argument at all. People get car jacked in the US everyday; sometimes its peaceful, sometimes not. It happens in broad daylight in every American city, with all kinds of witnesses.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #11612
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
That could have happened anywhere in the United States.
a on going roadblock by bandits ? got a link for that ?
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #11613
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
No argument at all. People get car jacked in the US everyday; sometimes its peaceful, sometimes not. It happens in broad daylight in every American city, with all kinds of witnesses.
this was not a car jacking .. just saying
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #11614
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
What do you call a gringo wetback in Mexico?
Mantequilla?
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #11615
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundobravo View Post
this was not a car jacking .. just saying
Same outcome
Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #11616
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 668
2 Noobians visit the Norte

In conjunction with a trip last year to Big Bend, the lovely Mrs. Trip and I made a day trip from Presidio down to Peguis Canyon, despite all the warnings of mayhem.

But seeing as we made it there and back again without our heads getting cut off, we're thinking this year we'd like to go a little further, and spend about 7 days south of the border, probably in mid to late January. We'd cross again in Presidio, although that doesn't need to be set in stone. We're riding a pair of TW200's though. Mrs Trip doesn't mind dirt or off the beaten track, but she sure doesn't like fast traffic. (she can handle stop and go, in town kind of stuff) The Tdubs will cruise all day at 60mph...Mrs Trip, on the other hand, tops out about 45 or so... and the more traffic she gets on her tail...the slower she wants to ride!

So what I'm wondering is where should we go? I have ordered a Guia Roji, but so far just have an ITMB map, and it doesn't show alot of options in that area. As far as gas goes, we have about a 150 to 170 mile range and I don't see any indications of gas stations or accommodations if we head off on the small roads towards Coahuila. If we head to Chihuahua, do we end up on interstate speed roads, or at least ones where there's too much traffic cruising too fast? What we experienced of MX16 was fine, but I imagine as you get closer to the big city, that's going to change. And from there, if we head for the Creel area...is it too cold in the mountains in January? We're from New England, and don't really mind the temps...but ice and snow would be a drag.
So maybe we should head for Ciudad Camargo instead? What the heck is down there? Can we get from there to Creel via a better route? I didn't see much of a straight connection...I guess that's blocked by the mountains? Can you cross near Presa La Boquilla (Lago Toronto)? And are there other destinations within reach of equal or greater interest? We like natural and botanical wonders, history, etc. Don't care about nightlife or ziplines. Mainly just enjoy the (for us) very different landscapes and the wide open spaces.
My other concern, of course, is areas deemed less than safe. We've traveled, we're cool and low key...just don't want to wander into someplace that's a problem while we're unaware. I have to take good care of her...or our kids (and grandkids) will kill me!
And finally, a specific question: when we crossed at Ojinaga, the border guards just chatted with us about the bikes, and said we should check out Santa Elena canyon from the Mexican side...and nothing about TVIP or tourist cards. But for a longer stay was there a place in Ojinaga to do the paper work? I didn't see it, they didn't direct us there, but it needs to be done before heading beyond Peguis canyon or so, correct? And how long will it take? If we leave Presidio in the morning, can we make Chihuahua or Camargo by late afternoon at our turtle's pace?
Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #11617
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,098
Crossing at Presidio/Ojinaga you will get tourist cards and TVIPs right there in OJ. The downrange checkpoint is not too far past Peguis Canyon.

Start with reading this ride report from twtex.com authored by Milton Otto

This is a great tale of riding in the back country on the Mexican side of the Rio Bravo, across from the BBNP area.

Then you can turn the switch in your mind towards paved riding from OJ to a destination of choice. Taking either of the libre or cuota to Chihuahua is no big deal on your machines although you will need to be mindful of Pemex locations on either route.

Finally, cap off the night by reading this fine tale by Road Dust

Hopefully, all this will be at least an appetizer or appeteezer for off road/on road and Chihuahua and Cd. Camargo curiosities.

Finally, a question for you: where is a pic of the Mrs. without her helmet on?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #11618
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,462
Stalker!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #11619
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
MikeMike, I will be sending you the multimedia footage. I'll leave it to the other inmates to coerce you into posting it here!

By the way folks, MM arranged for my bike to get new Pirelli Scorpions this weekend. He then proceeded to busy himself "fixing" my lowered forks and rear suspension settings. The difference to my bike was so incredible I still can't believe it. I've been jonesing for a Multistrada but I think I'll save my money. The man is a genius and if he suggests you modify anything on your bike... Listen!
I think MM once suggested I change riders but I failed to take him up on it. Oh well.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 12-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #11620
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
I can't figure out how anyone would know if they resisted being robbed. The victims are all dead, and there is no mention of having captured any of the perpetrators, who are the only other ones who could know.

Regardless, it doesn't speak well for safety in the Sierra.
I'm with you Andy. I don't equate this event to the crime we see in the US. Sure we have carjackings. Was once targeted myself in my own home town. But this strikes me as something different. Does sound like they broke a major Mexico travel rule by driving at night and in a somewhat remote area at that. Very sad outcome.

The shooting incident near El Fuerte last spring was also something not typical of US crime. There are some risks that need to be vigilantly managed when traveling Mexico that we are less likely to encounter in the US.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #11621
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode trip View Post
In conjunction with a trip last year to Big Bend, the lovely Mrs. Trip and I made a day trip from Presidio down to Peguis Canyon, despite all the warnings of mayhem.

But seeing as we made it there and back again without our heads getting cut off, we're thinking this year we'd like to go a little further, and spend about 7 days south of the border, probably in mid to late January. We'd cross again in Presidio, although that doesn't need to be set in stone. We're riding a pair of TW200's though. Mrs Trip doesn't mind dirt or off the beaten track, but she sure doesn't like fast traffic. (she can handle stop and go, in town kind of stuff) The Tdubs will cruise all day at 60mph...Mrs Trip, on the other hand, tops out about 45 or so... and the more traffic she gets on her tail...the slower she wants to ride!

So what I'm wondering is where should we go? I have ordered a Guia Roji, but so far just have an ITMB map, and it doesn't show alot of options in that area. As far as gas goes, we have about a 150 to 170 mile range and I don't see any indications of gas stations or accommodations if we head off on the small roads towards Coahuila. If we head to Chihuahua, do we end up on interstate speed roads, or at least ones where there's too much traffic cruising too fast? What we experienced of MX16 was fine, but I imagine as you get closer to the big city, that's going to change. And from there, if we head for the Creel area...is it too cold in the mountains in January? We're from New England, and don't really mind the temps...but ice and snow would be a drag.
So maybe we should head for Ciudad Camargo instead? What the heck is down there? Can we get from there to Creel via a better route? I didn't see much of a straight connection...I guess that's blocked by the mountains? Can you cross near Presa La Boquilla (Lago Toronto)? And are there other destinations within reach of equal or greater interest? We like natural and botanical wonders, history, etc. Don't care about nightlife or ziplines. Mainly just enjoy the (for us) very different landscapes and the wide open spaces.
My other concern, of course, is areas deemed less than safe. We've traveled, we're cool and low key...just don't want to wander into someplace that's a problem while we're unaware. I have to take good care of her...or our kids (and grandkids) will kill me!
And finally, a specific question: when we crossed at Ojinaga, the border guards just chatted with us about the bikes, and said we should check out Santa Elena canyon from the Mexican side...and nothing about TVIP or tourist cards. But for a longer stay was there a place in Ojinaga to do the paper work? I didn't see it, they didn't direct us there, but it needs to be done before heading beyond Peguis canyon or so, correct? And how long will it take? If we leave Presidio in the morning, can we make Chihuahua or Camargo by late afternoon at our turtle's pace?
Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

TVIP -What trice said. This crossing isn't too busy, so you should be through quickly. The last time I crossed there, the hardest part was finding the Banjercito which was in the town, not at the border. It can get cold and snow around Creel, so check the weather before you set out. If you head to Camargo, I think it's about 180 miles between gas stations, so fill up, and possibly bring a fuel container. You should easily make it that far in a day + border crossing. The ride there is pretty but also flat and straight, and with little traffic. It's not too far to H. de Parral from Camargo, where the riding is much more interesting. There has been some cartel violence in and around Parral, and particularly to the west of town where the riding gets to be more interesting, so heads-up if you ride that way. If you keep going south from Camargo, you're in for a lot more flat/straight roads for quite a ways.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:53 AM   #11622
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,934
Rhode trip, do not trust the Roji farther than you can throw it, especially for accuracy of back roads.

Craneguy, now I need to ride it. Too bad I didnt take you up on the offer.
My ride report for the comfortable chair in the Mystery Rider's new bar is my next priority! LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #11623
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Rhode trip, do not trust the Roji farther than you can throw it, especially for accuracy of back roads.

Craneguy, now I need to ride it. Too bad I didnt take you up on the offer.
My ride report for the comfortable chair in the Mystery Rider's new bar is my next priority! LOL!
And a big thanks to CraneGuy for suggesting the name of the bar. (Seal Club)

C´mon MikeMike! We need some photos of the AdvRider Statue.

And, don´t forget to tell us how you had to use tools off of a Hardley to fix yur bike. (BTW: Was that a metric phillips screwdriver?)
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:20 AM   #11624
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
BiciMapas

Anyone know if the BiciMapas for the Garmin is more detailed and accurate for the backroads than the Guia Roji? GR seems pretty good for general orientation and major roads... there seems to be a lot of detail in BiciMapas but I haven't challenged it yet. This morning I will rely on it to get me out of Lerdo and on my way to Zacatecas. I used the taxi driver trick to get me to the hotel late yesterday afternoon. Was it trice who posted that idea? It is a great one. I was tired and wandering around in a strange place... the taxi got me to the zocalo pronto... diez pesos, worth every centavo!
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #11625
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,934
I borrowed that little torx to make sure you were making a meaningful contribution to the surgical procedure I was about to perform on the redheaded German on a quiet backstreet in a Mexican mountain town.
The real Houdini act was how I was able to use the Jedi mind trick power of suggestion "Hey, dont you have a pack of Cohibas and do you need a light?" to divert your attention while I palmed the torx key and used my Leatherman needlenose to terrify those two little fittings into abandoning their steely grip on the failed piece of Fatherland engineering.
At least that is how it would read if George Lucas and David Grisham wrote repair manuals!
There were no other witnesses, Craneguy had wandered off to get a cold drink. Smart man.

The best thing was I didnt hear any banjos playing while it all went down.

What happens in the coastal Sierra Madre, stays in the coastal Sierra Madre.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote