User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #11656
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
GPS in New Towns

My GPS led me straight to the front door of Hotel Reyna Soledad...but, and Trice is spot on about this... too much time looking at the damn thing in Mexican traffic, drivers here are not real tolerant of lost adventurers on motorbikes being tentative about their progress and direction... even with the GPS I missed a few turns as I had to be avoiding death by MVA, same same navigating out of Lerdo yesterday, eventually I resorted to some off roading through a constrction area to get to the road that I could clearly see but which was not quite yet connected to the perifico. The GPS gives verbal cues but I am not big on having a wire connecting me to a device on the bike... the power cord for the heated gear is enough... don't want my head attached to the bike too.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #11657
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
My GPS led me straight to the front door of Hotel Reyna Soledad...but, and Trice is spot on about this... too much time looking at the damn thing in Mexican traffic, drivers here are not real tolerant of lost adventurers on motorbikes being tentative about their progress and direction... even with the GPS I missed a few turns as I had to be avoiding death by MVA, same same navigating out of Lerdo yesterday, eventually I resorted to some off roading through a constrction area to get to the road that I could clearly see but which was not quite yet connected to the perifico. The GPS gives verbal cues but I am not big on having a wire connecting me to a device on the bike... the power cord for the heated gear is enough... don't want my head attached to the bike too.
RMO, where will you be tonight? In Tuxtapec right now. Having an easier day today, aiming for somewhere like Cardenas. I found out that 300 mile days on the libre roads are hard going! If I never see another tope it will be too soon
Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #11658
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
The severity of the clubbing will depend greatly on how lurid your account of sleeping with Heidi Klum is...
I would gladly accept a severe beating if I could legitimately claim a story like that
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #11659
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I would gladly accept a severe beating if I could legitimately claim a story like that
Amen to that!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #11660
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
One thing I have learned about Mexico, is that it is really not that complicated, but we, as gringos, tend to make it way more complicated than it really is. There is a fluidity to life here that you have to tap into and let yourself go with it, surrender yourself to it when you find it. Resistance is futile. That will let you find the good here and more importantly, it will help you spot the bad.

If you find yourself on the wrong end of things, your instincts will kick in and you will do what you can and the outcome will be what it will be. Learning to avoid the wrong end of things is the trick, and you'll do that better from within the flow than from outside the flow. I think anyone who lives here will understand how difficult it is to describe this, it is a feeling not a procedure per se.

Well, we can close the thread now. This pretty much sums it all up.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #11661
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
For about $8 you can get a bluetooth sender that plugs into the headphone hole and broadcasts the audio.

My Nuvi 500 doesn't have a headphone outlet but I'm going to install one to use BT.

You can find them on Amazon.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #11662
raceu2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Jee wiz I did state not for defense. I consider a knife a tool, you never know when you are going to run into a tough steak.
I do plan on leaving my 45, AK and RPG at home, may bring a sidewinder or 2. Advoiding trouble is allways best.

Now for a good cheap hotel in Hermsillo?
raceu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #11663
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 615
You really don't have to worry about getting injured by the GPS headphone jack cord. I've been dumped off the bike many times and never has the GPS cord injured me.

TravelGuy

Quote:
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #11664
raceu2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Tricepilot

Thanks for the links and search tip. Will use them well now that radioman is off the air for awhile I have more time to search
raceu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #11665
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #11666
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceu2 View Post
Heading to Mexico and on to Panama Feb. 2. Will be staying in hotels and this is good info to know.
Looks like I will bring the sleeping bag. Now to decide heavy or light. I'm leaving from Truckee so will be wearing warn gear. Anyone know of a good cheep hotel in Hermosillo or vicinity? This will most likley be our first stop. Will be crossing at Sonoyto can I get tourist card there?

Re: knives, for the record, I usually have two - 3" folders in the tank bag and one on my belt.

Try the Hotel Bugambilia in Hermosillo or might I suggest (Shameless self promotion alert! ) bypassing Hermosillo and taking the Rio Sonora route. Our little hotel in Banamichi has hosted many riders on their way to Panama. PM me or use the link. if you want.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #11667
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Well said MM. +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I think this knife thing has been asked before.
There are guys here walking around with 3 foot machetes. Most of them use them for work, others use them for killing their brother in law, cousin, drinking buddy, or who knows who or what. It is a tool and a weapon and I have never seen a cop stop anyone from carrying a machete. Never.

A gringo walking around with a hunting knife is another story.

First, you are a gringo and you stick out like a sore thumb no matter how hard you try.
Second, a cop is going to look at you like an easy mark and he knows he can lean on you and leave you worried.

You are in his town and he can do what he wants with you. He knows you don't need that knife, but he also knows that you feel you need to have that knife. See where this is going? This is what Pirate was getting at with the taxi comment.

So, if you have a knife in a tankbag, and you are searched, nobody is going to give a damn, they might comment on how much it costs, the workmanship, where you got it, but they are highly unlikely to take it from you or hassle you unless you are coming off as some kind of macho blowhard. They can spot bullshit a mile away, just like anyone here can spot a gringo a mile away.

Carry tools you need. If you feel you need a tomahawk axe for camping, then carry it in your panniers. If you need a knife for camping, ditto.

The chances of you surviving an encounter where you have found yourself having to actually use it as a weapon are slim to none, it doesn't matter if you are Bruce Lee reincarnated or how well you have been "trained".

People who will hurt you here do it for a living.

Day in and day out, and you are their meal ticket.

They have survived in a rough game and are better than you. It's like anywhere else in the world.

So you avoid those people. Very simple to do. If you can do it Friday at midnight in Compton or downtown Detroit, you can do it here. It is called common sense. Not to mention that you will likely be outnumbered.

Take a look at the case of the late Peter Zarate. Google him and read the story from the New York Times. He was an ex-Seal. Are you an ex-Seal?

One thing I have learned about Mexico, is that it is really not that complicated, but we, as gringos, tend to make it way more complicated than it really is. There is a fluidity to life here that you have to tap into and let yourself go with it, surrender yourself to it when you find it. Resistance is futile. That will let you find the good here and more importantly, it will help you spot the bad.

If you find yourself on the wrong end of things, your instincts will kick in and you will do what you can and the outcome will be what it will be. Learning to avoid the wrong end of things is the trick, and you'll do that better from within the flow than from outside the flow. I think anyone who lives here will understand how difficult it is to describe this, it is a feeling not a procedure per se.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #11668
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

We were told by the new police comandante (my neighbor) that we will need a permit for fireworks for New Year's Eve. We need to get it from the Secretary of the Municipio. This new "rule" was likely made up on the spot last night. I think I'll just invite the secretary to the party. That should trump the need for a permit.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #11669
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
New Thread

Started a ride report today: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849757 someone please let me know if this link does not work. Total noob at this.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #11670
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Hey Raceu2 , Was that first part of your post# 12078 a quote from sombody else or your info? Either way it is excellent advice.Guys seem to forget about winter when they make plans for trips to Mexico ,think it is all blazing desert between to balmy beaches.

Now your request for directions to a cheap hotel in Hermosillo , get out your pen and paper and scribble this.
Hotel Pima Inn and Hotel Faraon are a two-motel combination in the north edge of the city on Blv. Kino / Mex 15 at the km 275 marker in what is called the Zona Hotelera Norte . This means it is on the Northside of Mex 15 as you are riding into the city as coming from Nogales and it is a mere two blocks east of the big intersection and traffic light setup of the Periferico Oriente. You will see a big flour mill on the south side of the big 4 lane boulevard oppsite this hotel area.
Last time I stayed there in 2009 it was $23 for a spotles room, tiled floors ,TV, ac, and secure parking at the room door facing onto the interior parking lot. A great place to get a good night's sleep at reasonable cost. Restaurants start appearing near the motel and a bit farther west there are plenty to pick from.

If that is not suffiicent for your tastes and you demand high class service, valet parking , shoe shine , en suite pool, steakhouse restaurant in the lobby, - just carry onward west along Blv Kino and soon enough you will hit the high priced executive high rise hotels which offer those. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Then farther west still you will get into the older downtown area where there are also assorted good hotels.

You can indeed get all the paperwork looked after at the border crossing of Sonoyta ( from Lukeville).limited hours of service last time I checked.

That does mean however you have a considerable trek ahead of you to make Hermosillo before dark ,especially if you are slack in getting to that crossing early in the day. It may be all sort of desert landscape but it is varied and there are a number of towns along the way which you should spend some time getting to know. Don't get sucked in by the ailment of destinationitis and blast blindly past everything .
If you run late there are good hotels in Sonoyta , Caborca and Santa Ana where you hook up with Mex 15
Answer your question?

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 12:17 PM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote