User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #106
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
The best part about the quote to carry is "know your surroundings"

How do you say "we're not in Kansas anymore" in Spanish?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #107
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
And those nice and polite Army kids actually do look for them as well, and I'm betting the get a lot less polite when the Machine guns stop pointing at the ground.

That strikes me as being a VERY accurate comment.

When in the Southeastern US I carried a legal pistol in the tankbag or luggage, as appropriate.

Down here I don't carry because I never know when I might want to take an impromptu trip across the border.

Guns (or ammunition for that matter) in Mexico is a real recipe for trouble.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #108
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
The best part about the quote to carry is "know your surroundings"

How do you say "we're not in Kansas anymore" in Spanish?
"Ya no estamos en Kansas..."
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #109
G-Tex
Sneaky Bastard

Oddometer: 300
This is quite a powder keg of a thread...

My personal experience has been that I have only had a couple times in Mexico where I was off of the bike and felt uneasy. I have ridden through CJ going to Copper Canyon, TJ to get to Baja and Laredo to get to Galeana. I have also passed through Presidio/Ojinaga, but that doesn't even register on a danger scale...basically, as I found out on my last ride through TJ, anything can happen and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it...

I was in Tijuana and it was THE TRAFFIC, not the narcos that were the problem.

From Change of Plans '09: Cabo Edition

"Guy
Street
Dead

Basically, I was riding the Border Fence road in the right lane about 3 car lengths behind a car. In the left lane, slightly ahead of the car in front of me was a large van. The van passed a pedestrian who was in the median of the highway. All of a sudden, the guy darted out in an effort to cross to the other side of the road. The car in front of me slowed slightly, but hit and ran over the pedestrian. I had to swerve drastically in order to move around the downed man. The car in front of me hauled-ass and I was left with a choice...

Do I try to track this guy's license plate down and get involved with the police, or do I try to help the man lying in the street? Ultimately, I was so shaken up that I really couldn't ride for a couple minutes. I stopped and headed back towards the scene.

The man was a panhandler who was just trying to make it across the street to work that side. When I walked up on the scene, he was surrounded by other panhandlers who were crying and generally freaking out. I felt very sad about the whole situation, but there was literally NOTHING that I could do at that point, so I loaded back up and made it to the Bank near the Playa that I mentioned earlier..."

My point...
1) You are on a motorcycle in a foreign country...nobody knows who you are, where you are going, what you have in your 401k, or any other thing about you...unless you open yourself up...
2) Although it has its fair share of nasty folks, Mexico is not filled with people out to get tourists.
3) Activities like foreign travel and motorcycling have associated risks, risks that are often distilled out of the ride reports for the sake of readability.
4) More or less, anything can happen at any time...
5) Be prepared to react to the situation on your own.

Hijack Over...Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
Beemer Off Road Dallas, Chartered MOA #351, RA #338
www.advdallas.com
2004 R1150GSATT41L<>1981 R80G/S
Change of Plans '09: Cabo Edition

G-Tex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #110
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Tex
This is quite a powder keg of a thread...

My point...
1) You are on a motorcycle in a foreign country...nobody knows who you are, where you are going, what you have in your 401k, or any other thing about you...unless you open yourself up...
2) Although it has its fair share of nasty folks, Mexico is not filled with people out to get tourists.
3) Activities like foreign travel and motorcycling have associated risks, risks that are often distilled out of the ride reports for the sake of readability.
4) More or less, anything can happen at any time...
5) Be prepared to react to the situation on your own.

Hijack Over...Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.
thank you! wise words.

now lets all ride to Mexico !!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #111
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
thank you! wise words.

now lets all ride to Mexico !!

A-men!

Arte, as a point of education - doesn't stopping to help an accident victim potentially subject a foreign tourist to being held as a material witness? I've heard that - although they say that the food is usually good at the jailer's house.

Any truth to that story?

Here in the States many places have Good Samaritan Laws. We can potentially be arrested if we don't stop to help. I don't know about the specifics of Texas, however.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #112
G-Tex
Sneaky Bastard

Oddometer: 300
Pirate John-

Make no mistake...I did not stop to help or render aid...I was so shaken that I couldn't go further and I was naturally curious about the situation...

Texas does not have a good Samaritan law similar to the type you talk about...we have a law that actually protects people when they do render aid to someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
A-men!

Arte, as a point of education - doesn't stopping to help an accident victim potentially subject a foreign tourist to being held as a material witness? I've heard that - although they say that the food is usually good at the jailer's house.

Any truth to that story?

Here in the States many places have Good Samaritan Laws. We can potentially be arrested if we don't stop to help. I don't know about the specifics of Texas, however.
Beemer Off Road Dallas, Chartered MOA #351, RA #338
www.advdallas.com
2004 R1150GSATT41L<>1981 R80G/S
Change of Plans '09: Cabo Edition

G-Tex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #113
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
My answer would be NO it is not safe. But where is? The Border towns are bad, get inland and you meet the great folks who live there. With so much great riding here, I feel no need to ride there. Others love it. Each to his own.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #114
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
A-men!

Any truth to that story?

As far as I know, in Mexico there is not a law that allows the police to arrest someone that did not stop to provide help on a traffic accident.

if you actually stop to help, you will be asked if you saw what happened, if so, then you might be required as a witness. but would apply for anyone, not only foreingers.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #115
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Twice I have come upon an accident with an injured motorcyclist in Guadalajara and each time I was with a Mexican national who told me to do nothing in regards to administrating first aid. We did block the roadway. I don't know the law but everyone else just waited for the police and ambulance to arrive. Fortunately each time the injuries were not life threatening.

Once I crashed on the carretera and was unconscious, a Mexican in a pick up behind me stopped his truck to block oncoming traffic with his lights flashing and he assisted in dragging me out of the roadway so I would not get hit again. Then after the police arrived. he loaded up my bike and drove me into town rather than wait for an ambulance. I was out for about 20 minutes or so but this is what was told to me later. Gotta love that Shoei casco.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #116
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Kidnapping Alert! Mexico Warning!

Warning: Mexico may be the only safe haven left!

It may become overcrowded with gringos fleeing south...get there while you still can...

Three Americans Kidnapped
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #117
nyc rugby
Dirt n00b

Oddometer: 567
Is mexico safe?

I hope so, I just quit work today and plan on hitting Mexico in a couple of months after wrapping up some loose ends here and working my way to the border.

nyc rugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #118
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by varna2win
The beauty of ADV rider is if you make one comment in here everybody jumps on your ass. Maybe just maybe I don't know shit. One thing is for sure I'm not some candyass that rides a GS & drinks coffee at Starbucks. The Starbucks comment really pissed me off.
I am. I mean, I luv starbucks, and I ride a GS.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #119
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc rugby
I hope so, I just quit work today and plan on hitting Mexico in a couple of months after wrapping up some loose ends here and working my way to the border.

If you come through Reynosa then let me know. Imagine the Underground Railroad, only this time for gringos fleeing the states.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #120
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
As far as I know, in Mexico there is not a law that allows the police to arrest someone that did not stop to provide help on a traffic accident.

if you actually stop to help, you will be asked if you saw what happened, if so, then you might be required as a witness. but would apply for anyone, not only foreingers.

Thanks Arte! When we ride together again I'll ask you about the nuances of those laws.