Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #12091
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 789
Thanks guys. I can probably get a new registration in her name. I know it takes at least 60 days for them to issue a new title. We are only going to Mexico, and trailering to Presidio. Have to take a field trip to the DMV. Never gave it any thought until I read that RR. Good thing I saw it!

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #12092
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode trip View Post
Thanks guys. I can probably get a new registration in her name. I know it takes at least 60 days for them to issue a new title. We are only going to Mexico, and trailering to Presidio. Have to take a field trip to the DMV. Never gave it any thought until I read that RR. Good thing I saw it!
I have lived full time in Mexico for 5 years and bring lots of people across the border in their cars, trucks and motorcycles on tours and to my hotel. You do not need a title, the registration doc is your ticket.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #12093
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode trip View Post
I just read in a RR that because both of our bikes are titled in my name, Mrs. Trip will not be able to get a vehicle permit to ride in Mexico. Is this correct? We just never bothered to change it because of the bureaucratic hellhole that is the RI DMV. It will take a while to get a new title...its gonna kill my trip
Say it ain't so, Joe!
Sign the bike's title over to her. Block print her name clearly, then sign. This should work.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #12094
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

We have arrived to this view of the Pacific at Melaque
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #12095
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,987
Make sure her name on all documents is the same: registration, drivers license, passport.
It just make it a lot easier, 'cause there is less reason for anyone to question the documents.

acejones screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 04:45 PM
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #12096
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Trice Melaque

I know that place! Was there two years ago. Isn't there a big resort there?

Rhode trip, thanks for the contribution.

I had lunch today with a musician friend that I had not seen since the early 80's... he was Van Morrison and Boz Scaggs' drummer, produced some stuff, regular LA session guy. Moved down here 7 years ago and is gigging around town with some buddies, blues and jazz. Took me to a great place for a 50 peso lunch. Over lunch I told him about Sara and he handed me 500 pesos. Thanks to all we can give her back the money she lost... her dignity and security not so simple.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #12097
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Tvip

I am going to chime in here based on my limited but recent experience. At the Palomas crossing they checked that my name matched on my driver's license, registration and credit card. From everything that I have read here you are only allowed to temporarily import one motor vehicle here at a time. Rhode trip, if your name is on the title of both vehicles, even if your wife is riding one of them, it might appear to the Mexican officials that you are trying to import two vehicles and they will not let you do that. Furthermore, given all of the reasons that have been give here your wife will have to have her name matching on her driver's license, the vehicle registration (title not needed), and the credit card that she is paying with. On the other hand if she is carrying a notarized letter that authorizes her to take your vehicle into Mexico and her name on that letter is exactly as it is on her drivers license and the credit card of payment then maybe there is no problem. In so many of these situations it very much depends on the person you are dealing with at Banjercito and how willing they are to think outside of a very densely defined box. I have no idea how many married couples do this sort of thing but I would guess not many so they may never have seen anything like this before. Call Banjercito: 011-52-555-328-2329. They were very helpful when I called. Buena suerte.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #12098
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
I know that place! Was there two years ago. Isn't there a big resort there?

Rhode trip, thanks for the contribution.

I had lunch today with a musician friend that I had not seen since the early 80's... he was Van Morrison and Boz Scaggs' drummer, produced some stuff, regular LA session guy. Moved down here 7 years ago and is gigging around town with some buddies, blues and jazz. Took me to a great place for a 50 peso lunch. Over lunch I told him about Sara and he handed me 500 pesos. Thanks to all we can give her back the money she lost... her dignity and security not so simple.
David,
If Sara gives you any static about taking the money, tell her we are very passionate about helping friends in need and that's all there is to it. Its the Golden Rule.
During Hurricane Katrina I lost my home. A lot of people graciously helped me a lot. I will never forget them and their kindness.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #12099
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Rhode trip-two bikes

Further to my last: The guy I spoke with at Banjercito spoke English well. You may have better luck dealing with someone on the phone who is at headquarters, not at a border outpost. Any amount of time spent on the phone in the comfort of your home is better than any time spent at a border crossing with your bikes outside hearing sorry senor this is not possible. Write a script for your discussion with Banjercito, it will help you focus and be more efficient on the call. In simple declarative sentences explain your situation and what you are trying to accomplish. Couch it in terms of can you please help me solve this problem. It is very much in the character of the friendly Mexican people to want to help. Banjercito is not the IRS. I suspect that you will finish the call with an answer and a plan.

David
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #12100
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908

HUATUSCO VER from on Vimeo.

Bato screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 09:52 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #12101
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,479
Que padre!
PAPA
SJTRA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #12102
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Que padre!
YES! I went pro Hero3:

Bato screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 10:55 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #12103
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
I had lunch today with a musician friend that I had not seen since the early 80's... he was Van Morrison and Boz Scaggs' drummer, produced some stuff, regular LA session guy.
Nobody but me remembers Boz Scaggs!

Lido!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #12104
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

"BEGIN TEXT.
The U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara recommends American Citizens defer non-essential travel to areas of the state of Colima that border the state of Michoacan, including the city of Tecoman. You should also exercise caution when travelling to other parts of the state, including the towns of Colima city and Manzanillo. The security situation along the Michoacan border continues to be the most unstable with shootouts occurring between rival criminal groups and with Mexican authorities. Homicides throughout the state have risen sharply in 2012.

The Consulate recommends you review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities."

Got this warning from the State Department via Kiko

So this spot, is exactly where we rode today, to check it out!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #12105
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

The spot I reference above in the State Dept. warning is the intersection of the states of Jalisco, Colima, and Michoacán.

T Piloto assessment, first hand: tranquilo