User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #12721
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
SkyMed an option too

My wife always makes me get medivac insurance, pretty sure my 01 GS found out and promptly fell on me back in 03 leaving San Fancisquito after a big lunch and a beer, at least that is what I told her. I was pretty happy about getting picked up the next day in Guerrero Negro and flown right to my home airport. They showed up with a flight nurse, a paramedic, lots of e pain killers and cash if they need to buy my way out. But that's all beside the point, that little policy saved me 25 K easily and as much as I hate to admit it, the wife was right, again.

Genarro, the owner (now deceased) was going to TJ the next week and insisted on taking my bike to the BMW dealer in San Diego for me - wouldn't take a dime - so I don't know how they are about recovering your vehicles but is in the policy. If I recall correctly, they reimbursed me to have it transported from San Diego.

Skymed or Medjet, it can save you a lot of grief. You can carry an annul policy for a pretty reasonable amount, I think mine was under 200 a year, or daily is about 9 bucks. Probably never use it again, but........
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #12722
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Schizz in training.
Schizz is pretty much the trainer nowadays
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #12723
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post
Skymed or Medjet, it can save you a lot of grief. You can carry an annul policy for a pretty reasonable amount, I think mine was under 200 a year, or daily is about 9 bucks. Probably never use it again, but........
I've paid $295/year for the past two years for the standard MedJet Assist coverage including bike extraction ($35).

Don't forget to wear your insurance card where folks can find it and be sure your riding buddies and emergency contacts have all your insurance info, blood type, allergies, etc. Just in case you get brain-boinged like our good friend Karl.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #12724
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I wear and recommend Road ID when traveling in Mexico. I simply wear the same one I use when riding a bicycle back home in the US.

You can run through the scenarios where an item such as this might make quite the difference, even if you have other forms of ID or emergency contact info elsewhere.

I'll leave those ponderings up to the reader.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #12725
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
I agree with Trice on the Road ID. Its a useful item, but mainly if you crash in a larger city or a place where they see a lot if North Americans. In the boonies, not so much. As to blood type, its not important, because they will type and cross match you anyway, before you get any blood and you're pretty much going to get a tetanus shot even if you had one last month.
It could be useful to have allergy info available, but even then they can deal with allergic reactions in any ER, so you aren't likely to die from any of that stuff.
doctor's have to deal with unknown histories everyday.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #12726
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,118
And the reasoning behind providing less informations is.......................??

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #12727
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Busy day here at Casona Tricepilot

Bob C and Mike (top and middle respectively) pulled in from Mexico on their way back to Minnesota

Moto Hank dropped off my GSA after maintenance wrenching and adding PIAA horns (VERY loud)

Gravel Guy spent a chunk of his day with me getting his KLR balancer lever overhauled.

Tough day but we recovered at Harmon's BBQ
Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #12728
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
And the reasoning behind providing less informations is.......................??
I'm not sure if the above was directed to me, but.....the info is going to be checked regardless
of who gives it. You could have it tattooed on your chest; they are still going to check it before they act.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #12729
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones
Its a useful item, but mainly if you crash in a larger city or a place where they see a lot if North Americans.
I disagree with this on several levels, but, hey, right now Tricewife wants a glass of merlot
Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #12730
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
....... we recovered at Harmon's BBQ

No pix of the BBQ???
Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #12731
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I've paid $295/year for the past two years for the standard MedJet Assist coverage including bike extraction ($35).

Don't forget to wear your insurance card where folks can find it and be sure your riding buddies and emergency contacts have all your insurance info, blood type, allergies, etc. Just in case you get brain-boinged like our good friend Karl.
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #12732
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
I wear and recommend Road ID when traveling in Mexico. I simply wear the same one I use when riding a bicycle back home in the US.

You can run through the scenarios where an item such as this might make quite the difference, even if you have other forms of ID or emergency contact info elsewhere.

I'll leave those ponderings up to the reader.
Great minds think like mine. I have Road ID as well. I also wear it in the gym, when hiking, riding, etc.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #12733
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I disagree with this on several levels, but, hey, right now Tricewife wants a glass of merlot
Since Mrs. Ace and I have just had our Cabernet, what do you disagree with ? I expect if you crash outside of Japan, they won't really know what to do with the Road ID and if you are unconscious and/or really banged up, who is going to explain it to them ?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #12734
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,580
on the road id discussion
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #12735
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
To Road ID or not to Road ID, that is the question.

If you have an accident in Mexico and are alone, here is what will happen.
First, you will have to survive the "first aid" from whoever happens by and who actually wants to deal with the sht you have found yourself in. They might just drive on, walk on, or stand there and say a few "Hail Mary's" or throw one for you.

If they throw one, and it is caught by someone else, you are in luck, Diego Flutie. If not, you are likely going to have to wait to flag a taxi (a taxi will likely cross your path at least once a day no matter where you are in Mexico if there is any sort of road) and look for a Cruz Roja clinic or a doctor that is open. So far the ID doesn't work.

If you are unconscious and someone is trying to help you, they might find the ID as they rifle your pockets, or they will find the ID as they try to help you. So far the ID might work or get turned into a bracelet for someone's kid.

If they get you to a clinic, the Cruz Roja people will likely have a look at it and probably make an attempt to decipher it but having something shiny distracting someone in an emergency is debatable. So far the ID might work.

If the Ministerio Publico gets involved (and yes, they will but only if they happen to be around, happen to be working, happen to give a damn, and are not on vacation or "un descanso social") they will examine the ID and likely try to use it.

By this time, if your wallet was not stolen, they will have done the usual Mexican wallet biopsy procedure and removed a layer or two which they might put back or they might not, and they will have found your driver's license and if you had your passport around your neck in a carry pouch like some people do, they will have had a peek at that, too.

What is most likely is that someone will give you a ride to a clinic or call the authorities if they think you are not going to make it and then they will split, fast. An accident with a foreigner here means bureaucracy that is exponential to the normal bureaucracy, not to mention a mix up that someone might think they were responsible for whatever has happened. This is true moreso in the rural areas rather than urban areas.

The ID is a great idea if it is in Spanish/English and you are traveling solo or if you are admitted to a clinic or hospital and they don't cut it off your wrist.

I don't know how many of you guys have any sort of helmet removal warning in Spanish on your helmets?
Not a bad idea.

Try this:

EN CASO DE ACCIDENTE NO QUITAR EL CASCO

or

EN CASO DE ACCIDENTE NO ME QUITEN EL CASCO

Having one or a couple of those stickers on your helmet can help you a lot. IMHO

I don't think a bracelet can hurt, but I do think it might be of limited use depending on circumstances. Usually, Mexican driver's licenses have your blood type on them, they have been doing that here for years.

The absolute best ID for medical emergencies is having a working Visa gold card duct taped to your forehead.

Or you can just get real lucky like a friend of mine and have an accident and have a trucker stop who recognizes you from the lunch stop a few hours back, who then picked up all his belongings and kept them safe for him while another guy who speaks English stopped and called me on my friend's cel phone to report the accident, while a pair of Cruz Roja paramedics with recently updated training, supplies, and a burning itch to show off their newly acquired updated skills happen by in their ambulance and patched him up for free.

Sometimes the Hail Mary's work...ask the aforementioned Diego Flutie.

Now, the much anticipated re-match! Mexican tag team lucha libre at it's absolute best!

Helmet ID sticker and St. Christopher medallion vs. Road ID and Blood Type sticker

MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote