Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #12826
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,987
Stops
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Another hotspot in the recent past was San Fernando, Tamaulipas, and we'll be taking the loop around it later this week enroute to Cd. Victoria which has had its own activity recently.

I rode solo into San Fernado for fuel last July without any issues. Will post up here during the upcoming trip. We have already agreed to stop for anyone waiving guns in the air.

FYI: if you require premium fuel in the San Fernando area just stay on the loop for the Pemex there. The stations in town had only Magna.
We rode down that way on the 23rd of last month 2up. Lots of federales around the pemex in San Fernando. Gassed up, had a couple gorditas from a cooler and headed on to Victoria. Spent half an hour cruising around town and headed on south to Xilitla. No gunfire, bribes, nor anthing else out of the ordinary. Did get a straight razor held to my neck in Xilitla and it was a close shave. ..., in fact, it turned out to be one of the best shave/haircuts I have ever had.
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #12827
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc View Post
Did get a straight razor held to my neck in Xilitla and it was a close shave. ..., in fact, it turned out to be one of the best shave/haircuts I have ever had.

Funny that you should say that because I got a haircut in Nuevo Laredo and about the time the young barber was working that straight razor around my neck he started to ask me if I had found religion. My initial reaction was that was pretty lousy timing ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #12828
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
I considered riding Rt. 2 back from Nuevo Laredo to Reynosa because that area has been pretty quiet for the last year. Alas, it looks like the bad guys just won't go away so it's probably best to stay off the border roads for the time being -

http://www.themonitor.com/news/local...a4bcf6878.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #12829
Oneyedjack
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Well we are going to do it. Two of us are leaving this Sat. for our first ride into Mexico. Traveling from Albuquerque / Socorro NM via Naco to stay at TurkeyCreek's place in Banamichi for a couple of days then ride to Los Mochis. We are looking at visiting Alamos on the way. We plan to take the ferry to La Paz and then ride back up the Baja. Both of us are on BMW 1200GS's. I know one thing, this thread has a wealth of knowledge about riding in Mexico and we have taken advantage of it. Any other advice / recommendations on routes, places to see, or places to stay on the way are most welcome. Thanks guys.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #12830
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,635
Have a great trip, OEJ!

And return to IMS with some pix, please.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #12831
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,210
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #12832
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneyedjack View Post
We are looking at visiting Alamos on the way.
In Alamos:

Casa de los Tesoros

And if your blood runs a bit thick and you want to stay where the, let's shall we say, area businessmen stay:

Hacienda de los Santos

You must ride up to the mirador and take in the city below and the runway in the distance.

The ghost of Carroll O'Connor can be seen occasionally at midnight chasing Meathead around parts of the upper colonia

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #12833
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Without pics you could be in New Jersey
I'll vouch for him. Great to see you again ....KennyANC !
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #12834
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Topes. Its all fun and games until someone gets hurt or you have to fix something. There's fun topes (maybe 2 or 3), and then everyone's got a story about "Oh shit, where did that come from"

I'd hate to live with the #$*@ things down my street and every street and every state highway everyday. bleck.

So much fun too taking a clapped out Tsuru taxi around the streets of anywhere, Mexico, and getting a free spinal readjustment every 100 feet, no matter how careful the driver is.

Bet the cwiopracters keep busy in Mexico.

But, every guy has to love the bewbies topes sign. How can you not?
I found a tope outside Taxco last week that is so high I'm taking a camera crew back there from National Geographic to photograph its north face. While I'm there I may make the ascent and plant a British flag on top.

Seriously, I had to drop a cog halfway up to get over. There is an upside. Unless there's a crane nearby, there are unlikely to be any Harley's on the other side (unless they were assembled there)
Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #12835
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
In Alamos:

Casa de los Tesoros

And if your blood runs a bit thick and you want to stay where the, let's shall we say, area businessmen stay:

Hacienda de los Santos

You must ride up to the mirador and take in the city below and the runway in the distance.

The ghost of Carroll O'Connor can be seen occasionally at midnight chasing Meathead around parts of the upper colonia
Hotel Los Santos is an amazing place but as Trice says, a bit pricey. The owners offer a more economical stay at Posada Tacubaya. You'll have access to the restaurant and the bar at Los Santos. Wherever you stay in Alamos, see if you can get a tour of Los Santos.
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #12836
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneyedjack View Post
Well we are going to do it. Two of us are leaving this Sat. for our first ride into Mexico. Traveling from Albuquerque / Socorro NM via Naco to stay at TurkeyCreek's place in Banamichi for a couple of days then ride to Los Mochis. We are looking at visiting Alamos on the way. We plan to take the ferry to La Paz and then ride back up the Baja. Both of us are on BMW 1200GS's. I know one thing, this thread has a wealth of knowledge about riding in Mexico and we have taken advantage of it. Any other advice / recommendations on routes, places to see, or places to stay on the way are most welcome. Thanks guys.
Looking forward to your arrival. We will hve lots to talk about when you get here.

Hasta Pronto!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #12837
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Per CNN.com, on the home page, the IDs of the attackers in Acapulco are known to the police. Authorities claim the the attackers knew the Spanish tourists from earlier in the day and the Spaniards may have bought drugs from them. The attackers are said to be independent of any narco group and were just looking to rob the tourists and rape them.

CNN quoting local and state police so you decide how much credence to give the reports.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #12838
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Good one! Could the Harley try a lateral traverse, up one side diagonally and then back down the other!
Possibly, if the rider had one leg longer than the other...and chromed oxygen tanks. Not sure how much traction he'd get in the snow on top.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #12839
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
I'll vouch for him. Great to see you again ....KennyANC !
Something's missing here. Not quite sure what it is.......

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #12840
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo View Post
After a while I loved the topes, cars and trucks qeueing for them and you can pass all that quite safely! And then I tried to do hops and jumps. I know it's not that responsible (because of the vendors selling all kind of stuff), but nevertheless fun to do. For that fact, I miss them insane topes here in Belgium, practising jumps/
:P

The only thing they are good for: passing long lines of vehicles. Most can be taken standing (we were on KTM and GS's). A couple south of Puerto Escondido were frikkn ridiculous for that newer stretch of road!!

Oh, and then you get to find the steel half-balls that they use to delineate medians on the hwy south of Oaxaca!

Try this on for size, at 75mph

Bloody hell!!! Launched me back into traffic and a 1/4 mile long tank slapper!

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote