Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #13096
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder View Post
Can you disconnect your farkles?

If you need something sent from the US, let us know. I'm in LA, I'll run to any BMW shop you need and send something on.
I have told them twice that I can dis-connect the extras, but they don't want me to do that, they want to use that as an excuse to charge me a bunch of hours for labor. I suspect that the moto is already fixed.
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #13097
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I have told them twice that I can dis-connect the extras, but they don't want me to do that, they want to use that as an excuse to charge me a bunch of hours for labor. I suspect that the moto is already fixed.
It's especially difficult with a language gap I noticed it last week in Mexico- I only know a little bit of tourist spanish, which doesn't help AT ALL with repairs. I also didn't have Mz. Tedder, who is a little better with spanish, is much more patient, and the latin americans treat you better when you are with a pretty girl.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #13098
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417

Part of the road kit now: GS 911, Toshiba Netbook 305 running the GS 911 software.

Probably one of the most interesting aspects of the device is its user group and their experiences.

There are different models of this device that the company offers, as well as an "enthusiast" level of 10 bike VINs allowed or the unlimited shop level.

Just beginning to really learn how to use it. Will probably run down to Hank's for a lesson.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #13099
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
The BMW shop told me that the Hall Sensor was OK, as well as the 1996 R1100gs's motronic. They told me Wednesday morning after they hooked their computer to my moto that it was running good and that they had balanced the throttle bodies. They said there was a bad wire somewhere that needed to be found. They said their computer could not talk to my computer because of the extra electrical accessories I have

I did not mention it in the first post, but as soon as the staff found out where my moto is they warned me that this was not an honest shop. As I began to have suspicions about the service I am receiving, I began to ask question of the staff, including the manager. This is what I have been told, two Germans that have been on the road for two years left their motos at this shop to be checked over. When they went to get their motos, they were presented with a bill of $5,000US. The Germans, being familiar with their motos began checking them over and found many cases where they were being charged for parts that had not been changed. They German riders had some type connection with BMW and called Germany. No one knows what the exact out come to this situation was. Some can say this is hear-say, but I have been told essentially the same story by three different staff members, including the manager

The Hostel Manger called an English speaking person from the store this morning. The manger here went to school with this man named Jose Andres Pinto. Jose had done some translating for me when I was first at the shop. He seems to be a very nice fellow. His title is Instructor Guia, what ever that is. He has promised an update at 10:00 Monday morning..

Intermittent shorts are the most evil things to try and find. But its also an excellent way for an unethical mech to work you over. Don't know what to tell you there, but the background info sure isn't encouraging.

I'm calling bull puckie on their computer excuse. The basic codes that computer throws can be read with the needle of a multimeter, a four-pulse morse code signal. Think what laptops looked like back in the very early 90s. ew.

Key to knowing if they looked for shorts. The tank and seat would need to be off, stuff spread all over, and the fancy cloth-like electrical tape wrap on the harness would need to be stripped off to look over EVERY wire, UNDER every wire, where the wires might rub the frame, etc. Also, you should be able to tell that the ziptie plastic straps have been replaced. Clean/dirty areas around the harness where zipties were should reveal this. Wires would need to move for inspection. And, they should be able to show you EXACTLY where the short was found, and explain it exactly (thru an interpreter in necessary)

Best of luck on this one. I hope they are not giving you a workover just because you're American with not much Spanish skills. That's just plain evil. Me, I'd get my bike the heck out of there asap. Its sounds like you've done enough knowledgeable legwork and research as anyone should be expected to do.

FREE DONNIE'S BIKE THREAD NOW!
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #13100
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Donnie
Get a hold of Julio Hartmann (Guaterider) he used to live in the city but now in Antigua. He can translate and may know the dealership very well.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #13101
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Donnie
Get a hold of Julio Hartmann (Guaterider) he used to live in the city but now in Antigua. He can translate and may know the dealership very well.
Initially, Jose, who I mentioned earlier, did some translating for me, but for the most part I can get the point across and understand them fairly well. Plus I have a passenger on this trip that is fairly competent at translating my Spanish in to "real" Spanish. So for the most part, I don't think communications is the problem.
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #13102
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Gracias!

Thanks for the info. We'll. Stick to 85, 40,57. We have a place to stay in San Miguel. We're going to be in Austin so I'll give you a heads up on our way through and maybe I can buy lunch and look at maps.

Ok to continue to ask questions here? They might have nothing to do with safty.
Got the bikes situated on the trailer Saturday and did a short test drive. Things look good for a departure to southern Missouri Thursday night. Should take us about 12-14 hrs. Unload the bikes and leave for Austin Saturday morning. Plan on being in Laredo Monday and cross the border Tuesday morning early.
picked up an extra rider so we'll probably stay at posada de la's monjas in San Miguel.

You guys have been a tremendous help. Cant tell you how excited I am to make my first of many trips south.

Thanks again!

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #13103
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
we'll probably stay at posada de la's monjas in San Miguel.
Tell José Lopez, the manager, hello for me. He'll give you the Salma Hayek suite.

Santiago is the chief maletero. He'll bring Salma to your room.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #13104
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I didn't take a GPS shot at Posada de las Monjas, but this one is dead-on accurate:

20.914509,-100.747249

You can plug that into Google Maps and/or your GPS.

In fact, if you copy/paste these coordinates into Google Maps, you'll see a street view of the hotel.

You can change the GPS format in your device if needed and/or use any number of online GPS position translators.

tricepilot screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 04:49 PM
Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #13105
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Here are GPS coordinates for La Mesa Grande, where you'll want your coffee in the morning:

20.91264,-100.746211

Walk up the street (uphill) from Posada de las Monjas and take a right on Zacateros, then downhill to where Zacateros meets Pila Seca.

Fernando is the co-owner.

Here are GPS coordinates for Tio Lucas Restaurant/Bar

20.915624,-100.745208

Very nice place for one of your dinners

tricepilot screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 05:01 PM
Old 02-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #13106
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
My moto is still in the shop here in Guatemala City. I was told last Tuesday that they would put Priority on it since I was on a three month moto tour, but I have not yet seen any priority. Wednesday, I was told that their computer could not find the problem, because of the electrical accessories I have added to the moto. I immediately told them that I could dis-connect everything in 20 nor 30 minutes, but they did not want me to do that, but said it would take MANY hours to find the bad wire. They also said at that time that the moto was running fine now, but that they could not guarantee its reliability. They had determined that it was not the Halls Sensor or the Moronic and had balanced the throttle bodies and maybe adjusted the throttle position senor, I am not sure about the sensor.. Friday, I was told that it could be Tuesday before it was ready and I again suggested that I dis-connect the accessories, but only received a response that the wires were very delicate. Saturday, the shop manager was not there or not available, but I was told by someone else that it would be Tuesday before it was ready. I was also told it was being worked on 100% of the time. I have been in the shop area twice, neither time was anyone working on my moto. Seems a bit strange to me that you can have someone working 100% on a moto supposedly looking for a single bad wire and predict on Friday that it will not be ready till the following Tuesday and that is after working on it for over two days. I am sure that they will fix my moto, I suspect it may have already been fixed and is just sitting in the shop accumulating LABOR hours, but of course I don't know this for sure and I certainly cannot prove it, so all I can say with certainty is that I am not at all comfortable with the communication I am having with BMW Guatemala City.

Hoping to be on the road soon.
Animo Donnie., went to something similar when the F650 had a weird noise it took a month of arguing with the dealer but they finally replaced the engine it was a pain in the butt I know how you feel, stay optimistic
Hope all goes well don't bother on suspecting nada is a waste of time
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #13107
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Here are GPS coordinates for La Mesa Grande, where you'll want your coffee in the morning:

20.91264,-100.746211

Walk up the street (uphill) from Posada de las Monjas and take a right on Zacateros, then downhill to where Zacateros meets Pila Seca.

Fernando is the co-owner.

Here are GPS coordinates for Tio Lucas Restaurant/Bar

20.915624,-100.745208

Very nice place for one of your dinners
++1 for Tio Lucas
Old 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #13108
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
You should also eat at Ole, Ole. Good for lunch or dinner.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #13109
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

For a while, JDowns was posting GPS coordinates of his campsites, cool finds, and other stuff. He got me all fired up to get back into it so I dusted off my Garmin handheld and began getting familiar with Basecamp, the replacement so to speak for Mapsource.

Like in the above example, if you're reading a ride report and some hotel sounds good or some site that you read about needs your visit, you can usually enter it into Google maps and with a few right mouse clicks the GPS coordinates will display.

Still keeping paper maps and Kentucky windage on the table, but so many riders are heading downrange these days and finding so much cool stuff, you can make it a full time job keeping your bucket list up to date.

Kenny found so much interesting stuff in Taxco alone his reporting makes me want to rent an apartment there for a few weeks.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #13110
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Wandering around the net doing research on South America, I was sifting through anecdotes about the equator monument in Ecuador.

I re-read Mark's stuff in his epic ride report about this topic but at the same time stumbled back on his account of his low side near Cayambe.

Single post narrative HERE

Of particular note is the first couple sentences in the fourth paragraph in the link:

"I’m sharing this experience because I think it’s worth highlighting the risks involved in international moto travel. My speed and inattention to an obstacle were the contributing factors to this incident so I accept fault."

VIs a vis Mexico, Mark's comments reposted here as well as Donnie's experiences currently in Guatemala City trying to get his bike repaired, highlight to me the huge element of personal responsibility and the existence of, and acceptance of, risk.

How people perceive risk and handle risk, is as varied and different as the people themselves.