Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #13216
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,341
50 more fotos on my RR. Some of these show some of the rockier patches. Although I remember them even rougher. ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 08:20 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #13217
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Now now, be nice to PJ. We have a wide variety of inmates here at IMS, and each has their specialized area of intel on Mexico. PJ is making sure that the Indio distributor has an ample supply of cold brew available for any intrepid voyager than may find himself stranded in the border region.
Well, I'm no expert on riding Mexico so I won't be publishing any FAQ, but if I did I'd focus on the greater body of my experience in Mexico and that was the gist of my question for John. Among the Mexico riders I know not one has the experience to publish a FAQ on border region bar districts that John has. While we're all treating the Border as something to punch through on our way into the interior only John has focused almost exclusively on riding this oft-overlooked region of Mexico.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #13218
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,080
This Transitory Very Important Person is getting ready to head to Mexico tonight. The first leg involves hauling bike to southern missiouri from Ohio. The weather has turned to complete shit between here and there so hopefully no delays .

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #13219
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,135
RMO, glad you enjoyed that.

Pirate, no problem, go ahead.

Here, the family size beers are called caguama (like Bato mentioned and I think it is slang for tortoise) and they are also called a ballena which means whale.

They are family size because consumption of the contents, like that of a tequila bottle, can start a family.

Now, think of the risks you will take if you are partying with the Chivas Cheerleader squad with caguamas and tequila. This almost transcends TricePilots risk management equations.

Almost.
Casi casi!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #13220
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
This Transitory Very Important Person is getting ready to head to Mexico tonight. The first leg involves hauling bike to southern missiouri from Ohio. The weather has turned to complete shit between here and there so hopefully no delays .

Drive safe and have a good time for all us Buckeyes trapped at home. I'll stay home here and gaze upon the beauty that is Toledo and southern Michigan.

It is sounding pretty ugly out there...
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #13221
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,351
I am headed to Antigua, Guatemala today. I need a clean, cheap hotel with secure parking. Any ideas? Thanks!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #13222
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
found this here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141751

Dealer Information: Research and write down the location and contact information for the closest dealership (of your brand MC) in the countries you will be traveling. There are BMW motorcycle dealerships in Mexico City, Guatemala City, San Salvador (El Salvador), San Jose (Costa Rica), and Panama City (Panama). If you have this info before you start, it will save time, and hassle, if you need it on the road. Also, develop a good relationship with your local dealer at home. Have their phone number and fax number, and/or email address. If you need a part on the road, they will most likely be the easiest to contact and the fastest way to get something in the mail/courier to you. Remember that courier services (FedEx, UPS, DHL) frequently have figured out how to easily clear customs, which may be more difficult if you ship a high dollar part thru the postal service, so their extra cost may be a good thing in the long run.

I have the info for dealerships in Central America. I plan to stay in the general area of Guatemala City for the next few days. If I experience no problems during this time, San Salvador is the next stop. From there I will take a direct route to Costa Rica. Since the problem started, it has occurred every single day of use. If I make it through these days without incident, I will cautiously assume that something has occurred that has eliminated the problem.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #13223
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I have the info for dealerships in Central America. I plan to stay in the general area of Guatemala City for the next few days. If I experience no problems during this time, San Salvador is the next stop. From there I will take a direct route to Costa Rica. Since the problem started, it has occurred every single day of use. If I make it through these days without incident, I will cautiously assume that something has occurred that has eliminated the problem.
That sounds pretty smart Donnie. Hopefully you can re-achieve that point of traveling nirvana, when you're enjoying the trip, and don't go into panic mode when the engine makes the slightest stumble.

Buen viaje!
Wish I could ride down to Costa Rica. You're on a dream trip!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #13224
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

I went out and cranked the moto this morning. It cranked up and run well for a couple of minutes. Then it started to stumble with the RPMs varying. It continued to have trouble for a few more minutes. If I tried turned the throttle it would go dead, but it would crank back up with no problem. After it hit two bars in an instant, it went to perfection. What are the symptoms of a bad throttle position sensor? It may be bad, but since the throttle bodies have been balanced it is easier to deal with. A year or so back while in Alaska, the connection for my oil temp gauge got dirty. This caused the computer to think the moto was cold and made the fuel mixture very rich. My MPG went from 40 to 33, plus the moto was difficult to start. Maybe something like this is causing the problem.

Will a bad throttle position sensor keep the moto from running? Or is it like the oil temp problem I mentioned above, just a pain in the butt till corrected? Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #13225
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Quote:
I have the info for dealerships in Central America. I plan to stay in the general area of Guatemala City for the next few days. If I experience no problems during this time, San Salvador is the next stop. From there I will take a direct route to Costa Rica. Since the problem started, it has occurred every single day of use. If I make it through these days without incident, I will cautiously assume that something has occurred that has eliminated the problem.[/COLOR]
Donnie, I'm in San Pedro now, leaving today for the coast. Then north a bit before heading back south to San Salvador via Antigua. Expect to be in s San Salvador by the end of the month.

When I get there I'm going to see Mario to do some maintenance on the Tenere. You might want to look him up too if you're still having bike problems. I can't vouch for his work but he's definitely a good guy. Can't remember his screen name at the moment but others here will know it.

Keep in touch, maybe we can get together somewhere.

Trevor
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #13226
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Donnie, I'm in San Pedro now, leaving today for the coast. Then north a bit before heading back south to San Salvador via Antigua. Expect to be in s San Salvador by the end of the month.

When I get there I'm going to see Mario to do some maintenance on the Tenere. You might want to look him up too if you're still having bike problems. I can't vouch for his work but he's definitely a good guy. Can't remember his screen name at the moment but others here will know it.

Keep in touch, maybe we can get together somewhere.

Trevor
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #13227
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I went out and cranked the moto this morning. It cranked up and run well for a couple of minutes. Then it started to stumble with the RPMs varying. It continued to have trouble for a few more minutes. If I tried turned the throttle it would go dead, but it would crank back up with no problem. After it hit two bars in an instant, it went to perfection. What are the symptoms of a bad throttle position sensor? It may be bad, but since the throttle bodies have been balanced it is easier to deal with. A year or so back while in Alaska, the connection for my oil temp gauge got dirty. This caused the computer to think the moto was cold and made the fuel mixture very rich. My MPG went from 40 to 33, plus the moto was difficult to start. Maybe something like this is causing the problem.

Will a bad throttle position sensor keep the moto from running? Or is it like the oil temp problem I mentioned above, just a pain in the butt till corrected? Thanks!
I should have also ask, how do you test the throttle position sensor?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #13228
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:

Donnie-

Sounds rich to me- it might be throwing a bit much fuel in there. I don't know what your current altitude is, but the computer should adjust for that.

The TPS is a NEVER mess with it type of thing once it is properly set- with a meter or BMW tool. I guess by your previous posts, they did that for you. Don't mess with it- it tells the computer how much fuel to throw into the airstream at a given throttle position. I would be very leery of messing with the TPS.

It does sound like this may be temp related- you could try cleaning that oil temp connection, maybe wiggling that wire to see what it does. However, if that was bad, I think that you would see whackyness on the oil temp gauge- bars jumping high / low / etc. Is the reading consistent while riding?

Did you use the 'choke' lever? I've found that it often throws too much fuel into the mix, even though it isn't a true choke. After doing that, I've found I just need to let it run to clear up. Sometimes a very slow application of the throttle (sneak it up, rather than a 'wack') will allow you to speed up the engine and clear its throat.

Has anyone tried checking the condition of the air filter? Do you have the paper type, or a K&N oil type?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #13229
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
By "introduction to Mexico" do you mean to say the bar districts of the border region?

One can sum up an Intro to riding in Mexico in about three phrases:

* Topes
* Don't ride after dark
* Stay the hell away from dope and dope dealers

That's pretty much universal.

And my knowledge extends to {cough} the bar districts of Mazatlan, Tampico, and Monterrey too. All valuable and hard fought learning experiences ;)

But yeah, lately, I am getting to be the expert on the quick weekend trip across the border and back. This time around the Border Patrol guys couldn't believe that I'd cross just to get a room and dinner en Piedras Negras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #13230
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Have you noticed how much those uniforms look like orange prison suits? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote