Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #13231
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Have you noticed how much those uniforms look like orange prison suits? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #13232
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Now now, be nice to PJ. We have a wide variety of inmates here at IMS, and each has their specialized area of intel on Mexico. PJ is making sure that the Indio distributor has an ample supply of cold brew available for any intrepid voyager than may find himself stranded in the border region.

He and Arte got me in and out of Reynosa, where I later saw a CNN talking head filing a report while covering in his hotel room, showing terrorizing video of a SUV driving around in the dark. And yes, I had plenty of Indio to drink.
I saw that same show. He was maybe 2 blocks away from the Mission Bar, and I have walked there from the border.

Trust me, if I had the time I'd leave the border area. I've been wanting to run back to Tuxpam and the Costa Esmerelda to look for RV parks but just haven't had the opportunity thanks to Recent Events (tm)

Good beer down there too, I might add ;)

Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #13233
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
RMO, glad you enjoyed that.

Pirate, no problem, go ahead.

Here, the family size beers are called caguama (like Bato mentioned and I think it is slang for tortoise) and they are also called a ballena which means whale.

They are family size because consumption of the contents, like that of a tequila bottle, can start a family.

Now, think of the risks you will take if you are partying with the Chivas Cheerleader squad with caguamas and tequila. This almost transcends TricePilots risk management equations.

Almost.
Casi casi!
One of the guys that I was working with was in his early 60's. He dyed his hair and started a new family in, ironically, Piedras Negras.

Not for me! My idea of a new family would be a pair of matching motorcycles.

Although the Chivas Cheerleader story reminds me that I got hit on by a really good looking gal while at the bar in Piedras Negras. I assume that she was a working girl but she was very polite and moved on when I nicely told her that I wasn't interested. Appropriate age (not too young), good figure, and hooters that wouldn't quit.

See, you guys don't know what you are missing by not stopping at these border towns!

{ducking for cover}

All kidding aside, Piedras Negras seems to be a very nice place that I am surprised the Winter Texans haven't discovered. The only thing that I can say is that, from a riding perspective, they have paved some of the streets near the crossing with some kind of paving stone. It looks great but is slick like snot when it's raining.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #13234
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I got hit on by a really good looking gal while at the bar in Piedras Negras. I assume that she was a working girl but she was very polite and moved on when I nicely told her that I wasn't interested. Appropriate age (not too young), good figure, and hooters that wouldn't quit.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #13235
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Hey, if the lights are low and she can't see me well it's her fault, right? ;)

Old 02-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #13236
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
Hey, if the lights are low and she can't see me well it's her fault, right? ;)
Exactamundo

To add to that, and to be clear, it was her I was picturing with the beer goggles
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #13237
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Exactamundo

To add to that, and to be clear, it was her I was picturing with the beer goggles

I think she was sober. But no accounting for taste, right?

What is that universal sign of the desperate single guy sitting at the bar? A $20 bill stuck behind your ear?

Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #13238
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,480
Quote:
See, you guys don't know what you are missing by not stopping at these border towns!
Been there, done that.

But I could spend the rest of my life exploring the interior. Or what Mexicans call the real Mexico. Seems that many Mexicans view the Border as neither country. It's the Border. Like a thin ribbon of land that is its own thing. Been that way all my life here.

If you ever get back to Mazatlan you might find it changed from what you saw some years ago. The new cuota may be bringing even more change once it opens.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #13239
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post

Did it go down something like this!
That's funny!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #13240
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Been there, done that.

But I could spend the rest of my life exploring the interior. Or what Mexicans call the real Mexico. Seems that many Mexicans view the Border as neither country. It's the Border. Like a thin ribbon of land that is its own thing. Been that way all my life here.

If you ever get back to Mazatlan you might find it changed from what you saw some years ago. The new cuota may be bringing even more change once it opens.
Oh, I agree. The border, on both sides, is a unique environment.

I get annoyed (not with you - don't take it that way) when people say that the border areas aren't the "real Mexico." It's Mexico all right, just a hybrid that melds cultures and has an economy devoted to international trade. Just like Carrizo and Eagle Pass are indeed Texas, just unique.

But hey ... My Spanish sucks, I like trucks, buses, and trade. I do enjoy a good party. So the border towns are a lot of fun for a weekend. Going back a few years when I was making three week trips into Mexico and living in Florida I always made a point to stop and spend the night in Nuevo Laredo. The manager of the Applebee's there was a Harley rider and treated me well. Good times!

I'd be interested in hearing more about Mazatlan. The toll road (Rt. 15 as I recall) went to Mazatlan back then but the road from Durango obviously wasn't complete. At the time I was in touch with some non-motorcycling retirees in Mazatlan but I have lost track of most of them. I did notice recently that an RV park down there has come back online in a big way so that points to increasing interest in my book.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #13241
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
What's the lowdown on the Spanish women that got raped while on tour in Acapulco? There was like six of them. Did this make this thread?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-21454647

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #13242
PirateJohn
Banned

There was discussion here. One inmate (Mike, was that you?) sorta suggested that the authorities would get a confession out of SOMEONE asap in order to bring this to a quick close.

I read somewhere (here?) that the ladies knew their attackers, and that some drugs were involved, sorta implying what we always say about staying the hell away from drugs.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #13243
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,666
Quote:
There was discussion here. One inmate (Mike, was that you?) sorta suggested that the authorities would get a confession out of SOMEONE asap in order to bring this to a quick close.

I read somewhere (here?) that the ladies knew their attackers, and that some drugs were involved, sorta implying what we always say about staying the hell away from drugs.

The police stated that the women and their associates had been involved in a drug deal the day before with the assailants. So it seems they all had previously met. That's usually how these things work. It still doesn't justify rape; but if you lay down with dogs, don,t be surprised about fleas.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #13244
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Donnie-

Sounds rich to me- it might be throwing a bit much fuel in there. I don't know what your current altitude is, but the computer should adjust for that.

The TPS is a NEVER mess with it type of thing once it is properly set- with a meter or BMW tool. I guess by your previous posts, they did that for you. Don't mess with it- it tells the computer how much fuel to throw into the airstream at a given throttle position. I would be very leery of messing with the TPS.

It does sound like this may be temp related- you could try cleaning that oil temp connection, maybe wiggling that wire to see what it does. However, if that was bad, I think that you would see whackyness on the oil temp gauge- bars jumping high / low / etc. Is the reading consistent while riding?

Did you use the 'choke' lever? I've found that it often throws too much fuel into the mix, even though it isn't a true choke. After doing that, I've found I just need to let it run to clear up. Sometimes a very slow application of the throttle (sneak it up, rather than a 'wack') will allow you to speed up the engine and clear its throat.

Has anyone tried checking the condition of the air filter? Do you have the paper type, or a K&N oil type?
The oil temp problem was from a long time ago, I only mention it wondering if the Throttle Position Sensor could do anything similar.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #13245
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Ana and I just got to Antigua.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote