Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #13696
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMex View Post
I travel through Mexico 2-3 times a year either on my GS or my 99 Yukon. One thing to remember while in Mexico is that nothing takes you further than respect. If dealing with police, army or any other such entity, take off your sunglasses and your gloves, extend your hand and smile; this has always worked for me. I get a good handshake and sometimes a smile back. One thing is for sure, it takes the edge off this guys; who risk their lives every day out there. Also, you can ride pretty hard in Mexico, and I do, but the federales know you are out there, believe me, so when you come to a populated area ( Poblado Proximo) bring it down to 25-30 MPH. The federales know you are coming, and if they see you have respect for their town, 99% of the time they will leave you alone. They know we are having fun hauling ass, they just appreciate us being adults about it.
Mexico is relatively safe, like I said respect gets you a long way. Don't ride at night, that can be dangerous !!! Don't do any camping, stay in Hotels, and if there is one, always give the guard a good tip. Five bucks, 50 pesos is a good tip. The rest is common sense !!!
Not a bad summary for your second post on ADV. Welcome to the site and IMS.

You're from San Antonio as well - if you ever wish to compare notes/experiences, I'll meet you over at Two Brothers BBQ near the airport.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #13697
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

The official Facebook page of the Mexico Tourism Board

We Visit Mexico
Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #13698
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
If they see it, they will likely consider it to be an auto part and it wont even be included in your $75 merchandise exemption. From my experience, you get no good will points for declaring and you don't get punished if you get caught not declaring so I generally don't declare anything. My play dumb move it to call motorcycle parts sporting goods no auto parts. Motorcycling is a sport, isn't it?

You should keep the receipt handy. That way if they do catch you they wont need to spend a bunch of time determining the value of the shock. It is not that big of a deal if they do catch you. The will hit you with 16%? Have some cash handy too. Otherwise you will have to go get some.

http://www.aduanas.gob.mx/aduana_mex...139_10179.html
I,m allowed two dogs and their accessories. No wonder there are so many dogs in Mexico. I guess a shock would not qualify as a dog accessory.

I'll just throw the shock in the trunk and play stupid, I've had lots of practice.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #13699
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Hey SR will I have any problem walking across the border with a used motorcycle shock. Do I need to declare it?

Senor, is that a shock eeen your pantalones, or are you jeest happee to seee me?

Now if it is the right aduana chica, make sure you declare it.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #13700
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I,m allowed two dogs and their accessories. No wonder there are so many dogs in Mexico. I guess a shock would not qualify as a dog accessory.

I'll just throw the shock in the trunk and play stupid, I've had lots of practice.
Just strap it on one of the doggies and if asked, say he has a bad suspension.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #13701
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
BMW Drakar Tire Wheel Grenade Valve Cap

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #13702
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
The Mexican Adauna makes no differentiation between Mexicans and Foreigners when it comes to bringing merchandise into the country. They do not discriminate and will be as happy to tax a Gringo on a flat screen TV as a Mexican.
Absolutely! It's just that the families with Mexican plates in an SUV piled high with new stuff from Sam's Club usually get more scrutiny than a gringo on a motorcycle.

I did have someone complaining that Mexico taxed their laptop(s) for some business meeting, although this was years ago. I've traveled across the border regularly with a laptop and now an iPad and never have any trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #13703
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Bad advice

Let me rephrase what I said. On a motorcycle unless you are bringing booze into Mexico it's hard to imagine what they might tax.

Unless, of course, you have a residence in Mexico. Then I could see you bringing something in (or those new motorcycle parts that were being discussed).

Carton of cigarettes maybe?

But clothing, camera equipment, personal electronics - I have never had them look twice at those things.

I did once have quite a bit of electronics stacked in the back of the Land Rover (remember that I am a full-time RVer and used the Rover for storage). I had the inspectors at Reynosa and Progreso look at my stuff but never object.

If anyone has stories of being taxed I'd be interested in hearing it.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #13704
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

Every time my dad comes up he has to carefully pack things in a way that they aren't likely to hassle him when he goes back. Sounds like SR goes through the same deal. Anybody that has experience living and traveling in Mexico has gone through the routine.

I was once pulled into secondary at the garita on the KLR. The female agent wanted to see everything. She was checking the vin on the bike to make sure it matched, checking my panniers, she wanted to see everything. I didn't mind too much. She was pretty cute.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #13705
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
On a group trip to Mexico City there were bundles of t-shirts in the vans that had to be opened up and distributed into individual's luggage to avoid being taxed (Nuevo Laredo). On another trip to Mexico City I had to pay tax on new furniture I was taking to my god-daughter (Puente Colombia). But not her parents' bikes which were used. And that's just two accounts from many. You just don't know them. Keep in mind that some of us didn't arrive here just few years ago. We grew up here and have been crossing the border for some 40 years or more. Your experiences, while somewhat informative, are hardly definitive.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #13706
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
I'll add one more.

When my old man comes up he always places orders for parts or tires depending on the needs of his two bikes. He can avoid the taxes on tires by strapping them to the bike and claiming he needs the two spare sizes. A couple weeks ago he ordered a tire for his Tiger, but due to an injured ankle he brought his truck instead of the bike. He won't even consider taking the tire in the truck because he will most likely get taxed on it, and he's not in desperate need of a new one.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 03-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #13707
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

That's useful information. I gotta learn more of the "tricks".

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #13708
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,546
Ask me about the time I tried to smuggle bullets into Mexico inside a used toilet.

On my KLR.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #13709
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

OK, how'd that go?

Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #13710
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I did once have quite a bit of electronics stacked in the back of the Land Rover (remember that I am a full-time RVer and used the Rover for storage). I had the inspectors at Reynosa and Progreso look at my stuff but never object.
What year was this?