ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #13726
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,203
Hey Pirate, Chicago and, believe it or not, Minnesota, are popular destinations for Veracruzanos heading north. Big network of local support, same for the DC area and Georgia.
The Oaxacans mostly head for California, it is commonly referred to as, "Oaxacalifornia".

As for border crossing and customs and all that jazz, the policies are mostly enforced on a very subjective level. No rhyme nor reason, no different from a lot of policies from governments all over the world. The Sam's Club stores and Costco stores here are pretty much the same, prices are different and you'll only find about 50% to 70% of the merchandise comparable to the US, some things you'll find only in Mexico. Wal-Marts are totally different, it is called "Wal-Mex" here and you get the same Chinese made crap at all the retail outlets and grocery stores. Auto Zone is hit or miss, Craneguy has a good local one, my local one has less variety. Home Depot is pathetic and next to useless here, but in DF, they are ok.

Some things never change:
Superama will always be more expensive
Chedrahui will always have more staff than they know what to do with
Comerical Mexicana sell the same stuff but often cheaper
Wal-Mart usually has the freshest vegetables and fruits but Chedrahui will rival them on Wednesdays
Costco don't move things around inside the store as much as Sam's, at Sam's the shopping experience can make you feel like you have Alzheimer's because they move the stuff around in the store so much
Sam Walton would likely pass a large brick in his pants if he ever walked into a Mexican Wal-Mart and saw how his retail ideas and customer service were not followed

It's Monday, and I am discussing shopping on an ADV BB. I really hope the Rocky Oyster gets back soon so we can head to Catemaco! With the Mystery Rider in Africa and the Craneguy ostracizing me for my lack of ability to enjoy dressing in rubber clothing and haul large amounts of luggage on my bike, I really need to get on the road!
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #13727
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
I might add that I just enjoy reminiscing, and I think that the collective experiences are fun and entertaining. And I don't diss someone's experiences of 40 years ago - I find them to be interesting.

Some aspects of truckin' laws in the USA seem complex and nuanced, and that's because some of those laws change from place to place and, in some cases so do attitudes. What is encouraged in some states is discouraged in other states.

Same way with Mexico. Just because we have experienced different things doesn't mean that someone else is necessarily wrong. Mexico varies from state to state, city to city, and is changing their judicial systems and, perhaps more fundamentally, their abilities to collect and record information.

As they say "it's all good!"

Or, as a pal of mine who had once been on the Pan Am Games cycling team once told me, it's better to be a has been than a never have been. We can all learn.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #13728
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Actually, I get the impression that you are more of the Boys Town expert than I am. Not like there is anything wrong with that ;)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Never been there, as you know. Nor would I ever take a first-time Mexico rider there. But I do have pretty good Google-fu and can look stuff up for those who show up here with questions.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #13729
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey Pirate, Chicago and, believe it or not, Minnesota, are popular destinations for Veracruzanos heading north. Big network of local support, same for the DC area and Georgia.
The Oaxacans mostly head for California, it is commonly referred to as, "Oaxacalifornia".

As for border crossing and customs and all that jazz, the policies are mostly enforced on a very subjective level. No rhyme nor reason, no different from a lot of policies from governments all over the world. The Sam's Club stores and Costco stores here are pretty much the same, prices are different and you'll only find about 50% to 70% of the merchandise comparable to the US, some things you'll find only in Mexico. Wal-Marts are totally different, it is called "Wal-Mex" here and you get the same Chinese made crap at all the retail outlets and grocery stores. Auto Zone is hit or miss, Craneguy has a good local one, my local one has less variety. Home Depot is pathetic and next to useless here, but in DF, they are ok.

Some things never change:
Superama will always be more expensive
Chedrahui will always have more staff than they know what to do with
Comerical Mexicana sell the same stuff but often cheaper
Wal-Mart usually has the freshest vegetables and fruits but Chedrahui will rival them on Wednesdays
Costco don't move things around inside the store as much as Sam's, at Sam's the shopping experience can make you feel like you have Alzheimer's because they move the stuff around in the store so much
Sam Walton would likely pass a large brick in his pants if he ever walked into a Mexican Wal-Mart and saw how his retail ideas and customer service were not followed

It's Monday, and I am discussing shopping on an ADV BB. I really hope the Rocky Oyster gets back soon so we can head to Catemaco! With the Mystery Rider in Africa and the Craneguy ostracizing me for my lack of ability to enjoy dressing in rubber clothing and haul large amounts of luggage on my bike, I really need to get on the road!
Great info Mike! Dunno about others. I enjoy that stuff.

Wal-Mex? Is that a regional thing? I seem to remember a big Wal-Mart in Hermosilla or somewhere nearby. What struck me as being funny was that there were highway signs directing traffic to the place.

Do you have Woolworths? All but extinct in the USA, there used to be one in the little Kentucky town that I grew up in. I remember the smells of candies and roasted nuts.

Fast forward a few years. Reynosa has a big one downtown in their walking mall in the Centro, and Tampico has two. Nice selection of clothes and clean and neat, at least in Reynosa.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #13730
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
It's a different type of selection, and the prices are higher in Mexico from what I remember. It's like when I shop the latin food section at walmart and HEB. They shop the American stores to get their fix on food that's available here.

.


Thanks!

I remember that the Mission Bar always had Louisiana brand hot sauce. I like the stuff too but figured that someone was buying it in the USA.

But I am like you, we all stock up on foods that we love. I bought an HEB's entire inventory of Pick-a-peppa Jamaican steak sauce and then forgot that I had it and crossed the border. The US side looked all of those sealed bottles over pretty closely before they let me go ;)

Glad to hear that your Dad had good luck on his journeys.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #13731
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey Pirate, Chicago and, believe it or not, Minnesota, are popular destinations for Veracruzanos heading north. Big network of local support, same for the DC area and Georgia.
The Oaxacans mostly head for California, it is commonly referred to as, "Oaxacalifornia".

!


I have wayyyyyyyyyy too much time out here in the oil patch to watch TV. Anyway, one of the TV chefs (Bourdain? Zimmern?) said that Chicago had more Mexican folks than anywhere in the USA outside of California.

When I was visiting with Sue in Waukesha, WI we went to a local Mexican restaurant. It was nothing like the Mexican places in Florida. The food was very similar to what I had in Reynosa and the architecture looked like they had moved an entire building to the north.

It's a small world. There was a Mexican restaurant in Jacksonville that I used to hit. I asked the owner where she was from and she told me that she came from a little town north of Tampico. I guessed Manuel and she gave me this long look and said "How did you know?" She had trouble believing that anyone from Jacksonville would have logged time there.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #13732
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,203
PJ, they call it Wal-Mex because most people who know a real Wal-Mart, especially the pochos, see it as a chafa type imitation.
That's a good story about the Tamaulipas resident in Jacksonville. I think Jacksonville is the Tijuana of Florida.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #13733
Stromin'Nroman
Studly Adventurer
 
Stromin'Nroman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
She had trouble believing that anyone from Jacksonville would have logged time there.


Maybe this thread should be called:

"Is Mexico Safe from the Americans?"
__________________
Stromin'Nroman
NC28729, USA

Suzuki DL650A K7
SW-Motech Centre Stand & Crashbars
Caribou Luggage

".......and many of them were driven to these crimes by a horrible force called MUSIC." Frank Zappa, 1979
Stromin'Nroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #13734
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey Pirate, Chicago and, believe it or not, Minnesota, are popular destinations for Veracruzanos heading north. Big network of local support, same for the DC area and Georgia.
The Oaxacans mostly head for California, it is commonly referred to as, "Oaxacalifornia".

It's Monday, and I am discussing shopping on an ADV BB. I really hope the Rocky Oyster gets back soon so we can head to Catemaco! With the Mystery Rider in Africa and the Craneguy ostracizing me for my lack of ability to enjoy dressing in rubber clothing and haul large amounts of luggage on my bike, I really need to get on the road!

We have a family that opened a taco stand in our little town, they're from Vera Cruz. Finally, as close as my downtown I can get a pretty darn good taco pastor the way God and Mexicans intended it. They don't have enough traffic to run the rotating meat cooker thing full time though.

Mike- there's a sale at Penny's too. You forgot that!

mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #13735
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
PJ, they call it Wal-Mex because most people who know a real Wal-Mart, especially the pochos, see it as a chafa type imitation.
That's a good story about the Tamaulipas resident in Jacksonville. I think Jacksonville is the Tijuana of Florida.
Jacksonville, precisely like Tijuana, has some nice places and some tough, industrial places.

When I first moved there the area had three Navy bases and a common question was "what did you do wrong to get stationed here?"


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #13736
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromin'Nroman View Post
Maybe this thread should be called:

"Is Mexico Safe from the Americans?"

Got that one right!

That's one good thing about the troubles - it keeps some of the riff raff out of Mexico ;)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #13737
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: MS. Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 4,984
PJ,
There is a Woolworth's in Puerto Vallarta. Its clean and usually well stocked with quite a variety of items. It reminds me of what Woolworth's was like when I was growing up in Shreveport, La., back in the 50's-60's.
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #13738
pax maac
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Toluca, Mexico (near Mexico City)
Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
We have a family that opened a taco stand in our little town, they're from Vera Cruz. Finally, as close as my downtown I can get a pretty darn good taco pastor the way God and Mexicans intended it. They don't have enough traffic to run the rotating meat cooker thing full time though.
There's not enough traffic at the taco places around here to run the meat thing (it's called a trompo) full time either, and I live smack in the middle of Mexico! It's normal to just turn it on when there are customers, unless it's a Friday or Saturday night.
pax maac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #13739
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
PJ,
There is a Woolworth's in Puerto Vallarta. Its clean and usually well stocked with quite a variety of items. It reminds me of what Woolworth's was like when I was growing up in Shreveport, La., back in the 50's-60's.
The one in Reynosa is actually part of a development that leases space to other stores. I bought an inexpensive sports watch there and thought it was a good value.

Nice place! And yes, it brings back memories.

Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #13740
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid
 
WeazyBuddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RGV Texas
Oddometer: 4,483
Little birdie tells me one of the regulars got themselves a WR.

Glad he got it too 'cause I was afraid of pulling the trigger on a fifth bike.
__________________
A drunk driver killed someone I love
WeazyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014