Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #13741
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Cry Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Little birdie tells me one of the regulars got themselves a WR.

Glad he got it too 'cause I was afraid of pulling the trigger on a fifth bike.
and I'm wanting one too now...
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #13742
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Little birdie tells me one of the regulars got themselves a WR.

Glad he got it too 'cause I was afraid of pulling the trigger on a fifth bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinneck View Post
Well, if we're back to talking motorcycles around here then I guess I'll post pic or two.

No, wait, that's not it. Here we go:

Gotta do the typical engine mods (air box/exhaust/controller) and get the Wolfman bags that fit the racks. Otherwise she's ready for Mexico.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 10:15 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #13743
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinneck View Post
Have anything to do with your recent Mexico ride?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #13744
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefeater Steve View Post

"It seems like we're always hearing about new ways in which people are trying to smuggle things into the US from Mexico – including simply driving over the wall. Case in point? Mexican police have found yet another way criminals are attempting to get drugs over the border. Mexicali police have seized what looks to be either a Mitsubishi Mighty Max or Dodge Ram 50 pickup, equipped with what is essentially an oversized spud gun in the bed used to shoot marijuana over the border.

Constructed from a metal tank and a large plastic pipe, The Guardian reports that this drug cannon actually uses a car engine to build up enough air pressure to launch up to 13 kilos of marijuana at a time. Mexicali police were alerted to this truck when their US counterparts found drug packages on this side of the border. As of yet, there is no word as to how the vehicle was caught and whether any arrests resulted." --Autoblog.
Not sure but that might be a Costco or Sam's Club in the background.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #13745
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,467
Sweet scoot Schizz. That thing is ready to go, I can tell. Are you ready for off-road? I think so. the Wolfman soft bags are excellent.
PAPA
SJTRA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #13746
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Sweet scoot Schizz. That thing is ready to go, I can tell. Are you ready for off-road? I think so. the Wolfman soft bags are excellent.
Thanks Jimmy!

Taking Brad's MSF dirt class.

Gotta buy the Wolfman bags. That's what I'd settled on so it was nice to find a bike with the racks. Gotta install a tool tube for spoons, etc., and strap tubes to the front fender. And a tool bag on the rear rack. Just some little stuff before I take it out.

Thinking about the Biosfera del Cielo for its first Mexico ride. And Big Bend, of course. Looking at trailers.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #13747
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Looking at trailers.

Now listen here, son, I can put you into this here double wide with all utilities for a low, low price, just sign here! Boy howdy, you are just gonna love your neighbors!Careful with them tornado things.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #13748
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Now listen here, son, I can put you into this here double wide with all utilities for a low, low price, just sign here! Boy howdy, you are just gonna love your neighbors!Careful with them tornado things.
I can beat your offer. I found this in the WTF picture thread:

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #13749
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Where do I sign!!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #13750
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Yesterday's chatter about taking things into Mex

I am getting in late on this I was traveling but maybe I could add my 2 cents....

I crossed the border 5 days a week for about 25 years so I have seen a lot of stuff and done a couple of things that I won't post but if anyone would care to talk about it while downing some taco when your passing through Fresnillo let me know and I will meet you and share some stories.

First let me say that things have changed....when I was a kid we went to Caborca and my dad had a 32 special in the glove box of the car. He took it out and put it on the dash so the officer would not think he was trying to smuggle it across....long story short....my dad still has the gun and he did not go to jail. That would not happen today. If you tried that today you would end up in jail faster than you could spit!!! Don't take guns or amo....I could share more stories about gun crossings over tacos if you like some day. But let me say DO NOT TRY TO CROSS GUNS, things have changed.

Another thing that has changed over the years is that when the first PAN president was elected about 18 years ago they started making crossings more "user friendly" what I mean is that before that the laws were hard to comply with which caused a lot of bribes and playoffs at the border and every where else.....another story over tacos if you like...anyway today the laws are very easy to follow and most of the border officials are young professionals that are well trained and schooled this makes a big difference....not a bit like to old days.

A rule of thumb that I follow when I cross is the 70 USD rule...if I have less than 70 USD worth of stuff per person....then when asked I just say I only have personal stuff.....if they tell me what I have does not qualify then we nagociate or I leave it there or be ready to take it back to the states.....if I cross with more than 70 USD I will declare it....it is very simple and fast......

After crossing the border most of my life.......I think the agents are much better than before.....the real key is know what not to say......I am still learning that.
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #13751
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
Another key to a border crossing is to just say less. A demeanor of patience and respect will serve you well. Running at the mouth and barking at an Aduana official is not too cool.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #13752
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post

Another thing that has changed over the years is that when the first PAN president was elected about 18 years ago...
The first PAN president was Fox and he was elected 12 years ago. Zedillo from the PRI was elected 18 years ago and he was the replacement for Colossio who was assassinated in Tijuana. The PRI had ruled Mexico for 71 years and just got re-elected.
If anyone is keeping score.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #13753
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
After crossing the border most of my life.......I think the agents are much better than before.....the real key is know what not to say......I am still learning that.
This

And this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Another key to a border crossing is to just say less. A demeanor of patience and respect will serve you well. Running at the mouth and barking at an Aduana official is not too cool.
Many LE will tell you that "Chatty Cathy" types who keep pulling their own chatting ring are suspect from the get-go. Why? A classic sign of nervousness and something to hide.

Flash Forward into downrange Mexico, away from the border: The reverse is often true, if you have any level of Spanish proficiency at all. The checkpoint boys actually enjoy the banter - it breaks up the monotony of standing in one spot all day doing the same thing. You (generically speaking) are interesting, being downrange on a motorcycle. And has been stated here before, the ability to "chat it up" actually works to your advantage, as the Army boys would rather do that than go through your stuff**

**Exception: There are checkpoint types that go through your stuff just to see what gadgets you have. This, to some, is as interesting as your motorcycle.

In January, I actually had to go looking for an Army checkpoint. I think most of them have moved to the Tamaulipas/Veracruz corridor. Second consecutive recent trip downrange I have noticed even the usual checkpoints not manned.

In a nutshell: I use a different technique at the border vs downrange. Downrange, I chat it up to the extent they want to engage. At the border, the minimal, like you said.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #13754
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

The rules change again as the guys manning the military checkpoints begin to recognize you. This is how it is for me now when returning through Allende. I get off the bike and enjoy telling the guys where I've been. Jokes are made and it serves to break up the monotony for them. The "inspection" is not even real anymore. That will change, of course, should they rotate those guys out of there.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #13755
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Arte, why are you going through AGS instead of HW 23 through Jerez and Colotlan or HW 54? It's way better riding! Security?
Quote:
I don't think I can ride with you all, but stay in touch....maybe the night you are in Zacatecas we could meet for tacos??

Is there a reason you are not taking the highway south of Zacatecas or over to Jerez and then south?
In the past I have been told that the highway south of Jerez was not safe, but they say they have cleaned it up a lot now.....I took it a couple of time to Guadaljara the end of last year and I really liked it.

Since our goal is to ride on the Sayulita Area, the reason to ride thru Aguascalientes is because is faster (all highway to Guadalajara).
We usually go thru Valparaiso and ride over the mountains to get to San Blas Nayarit, but since that nice road is no longer dirt road , then we take the faster one.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote