Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #13831
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,920
I ride an F650GS twin in red. 50,000 kms on it here in Mexico in the past 3 and a half years. It can do a lot more than most people think, never felt the need for an F800. Ridden it on dirt, rock, all types of surfaces and with the right tires it is very capable.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #13832
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 191
Aduana/Banjercito Hours Nuevo Laredo

Does anybody know how late in the evening I can cross and do my TVIP on a Friday in Nuevo Laredo?
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #13833
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I ride an F650GS twin in red. 50,000 kms on it here in Mexico in the past 3 and a half years. It can do a lot more than most people think, never felt the need for an F800. Ridden it on dirt, rock, all types of surfaces and with the right tires it is very capable.
MM I am setting up a second place in Phoenix and plan on leaving my bike there over the winter. I am also considering a second bike to leave in Phoenix for friends and family to ride around the US SW states and into Mexico when they come to visit me. I have been thinking about older 1200GS, 800GS, Triumph, Yamaha. You appear to log many miles throughout Mexico on a 650GS twin. How do you find it for comfort for highway riding, wind protection etc? Certainly more economical. I would appreciate any first hand input from you.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #13834
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
Does anybody know how late in the evening I can cross and do my TVIP on a Friday in Nuevo Laredo?
Past my bedtime. But then again, I don't go anywhere near Nuevo Laredo past dark. Sorry McFoil, that was a worthless answer

Give me a shout if you go through DGO. I should be around all next week.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #13835
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,651
Quote:
Pirate John is the man to answer this question
Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #13836
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,920
JM, the F650 is an ok all rounder. You will need a better windscreen and an AirHawk. The stock screen is useless and the stock seat is a torture device. I recommend crash bars, a headlight protector, and at least an oil filter/heat exchanger guard. It will need to burn premium gas. Take a long look at a used V- Strom 650 and a KLR before you part with your dinero, compadre!
Both will get you where you want to go down here and with way less cash outlay.
When you go to look at one, PM me and I will tell you what to watch for.
My pleasure to give you the truth that Motorrad marketing likes to hide.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #13837
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,393
Quote:
Locations and hours for Banjercito can be found on their web site: www.banjercito.com.mx. Look at the box at the center of the home page that is titled "CONOZCA Más" and click on the map of Mexico. The next page has connections to maps in the upper-right corner. They are open 24/7 at major border crossings such as Puente Int'l I and II in Nvo. Laredo. The Aduana will be open as well.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 05:37 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #13838
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,193
Most people are provincial & ignorant of what's past there town/region not to mention other countries. I talk to people all the time (in Colorado) who never been over the hill to this place or that place within Colorado. They then are the same people who demonize and make fun of these places they've never visited.

As far as worldly & travel savvy, the average American is a sad bunch of local yokels compared to sophisticated Canadian and European travelers.

Quote:
That's the thing a lot of people don't get, but Craneguy points it out.

There are still a lot of people who think Mexico is one big lump and the people speak "Mexican".

It's a huge nation and the travel possibilities are endless. Personally, I will avoid a "hot" area noted for kidnappings, shootings, etc... and opt for another route. It doesn't mean that Mexico is not safe, it means that a small part of a large nation has troubles related to criminal activity and, though it likely won't affect you in any way because you are not involved in that activity, it might make you feel uncomfortable and you won't enjoy your visit. Pick another point on the compass and head there.

To long a sentence for a headline, so you'll never see it in print!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #13839
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Most people are provincial & ignorant of what's past there town/region not to mention other countries. I talk to people all the time (in Colorado) who never been over the hill to this place or that place within Colorado.
More true in Mexico that any country I've ever been. But that's not a very long list of countries.

Quote:
As far as worldly & travel savvy, the average American is a sad bunch of local yokels compared to sophisticated Canadian and European travelers.
Not so true when comparing sophisticated American travelers to sophisticated Canadian and European travelers.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 03-07-2013 at 05:40 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #13840
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
I crossed once at 1 AM, but it was Christmas time and surprisingly busy at that hour.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #13841
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
JM, the F650 is an ok all rounder. You will need a better windscreen and an AirHawk. The stock screen is useless and the stock seat is a torture device. I recommend crash bars, a headlight protector, and at least an oil filter/heat exchanger guard. It will need to burn premium gas. Take a long look at a used V- Strom 650 and a KLR before you part with your dinero, compadre!
Both will get you where you want to go down here and with way less cash outlay.
When you go to look at one, PM me and I will tell you what to watch for.
My pleasure to give you the truth that Motorrad marketing likes to hide.
MM, Good idea about that Vstorm. I've read some ride reports from guys riding Vstrom's and that bike seems like a real good workhorse for a modest(in comparison) lay out of cash. I want to take my father in law into Mexico when he gets his license again. Hasn't had a license in 40 years. He just turned 70 and is a fit guy(ex bull rider) and a huge fan of Mexico. He rode through Mexico on a bike many years ago and i promised him I would treat him to a trip. I am looking forward to laying out an adventure for him. I will pm you when I am thinking of making a move.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #13842
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Past my bedtime. But then again, I don't go anywhere near Nuevo Laredo past dark. Sorry McFoil, that was a worthless answer

Give me a shout if you go through DGO. I should be around all next week.
Oh come onnnn, where is your sense of adventure? 😜

The Nvo Laredo border crossing facility for TVIP and Tourist Card
is a 24/7 affair. Should not be a very busy place late in evening.
That would be a good setup to get your papers done and then stay
the night in Nvo L. at one of the nice hotels . Yes, really!
We came into Nvo Laredo from the SOUTH Wednesday afternoon at 6 pm and signed
in for a room at Galaxy Hotel at the south end of Av Guerrero , actually
there name changed to Av Reforma #3607. Nice place with secure parking
for only $24 for two beds .
After signing in we rode north to the terminal down between the two bridges ,cancelled out TVIPs and Tourist cards in a mere 20 minutes , the only clients
there, and rode back down Av Guerrero to the hotel .
Of course we did not go wandering around in the dark city, but nothing bad
happened to us. News item : tourism is down 90% in this area, we did our part to
counter that 😁 This was the second time within a year I used this hotel, better deal than anything on the US side of the river.
McFoil you can also do your part , go int Nvo L. do the paperwork , get rested and be free to get an early start next morning .
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #13843
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Locations and hours for Banjercito can be found on their web site: www.banjercito.com.mx. Look at the box at the center of the home page that is titled "CONOZCA Más" and click on the map of Mexico. The next page has connections to maps in the upper-right corner. They are open 24/7 at major border crossings such as Puente Int'l I and II in Nvo. Laredo. The Aduana will be open as well.
Thanks for the info Schizz. Planing on getting permit and visa thingy the night before we take off for Durango.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #13844
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Oh come onnnn, where is your sense of adventure? 😜

The Nvo Laredo border crossing facility for TVIP and Tourist Card
is a 24/7 affair. Should not be a very busy place late in evening.
That would be a good setup to get your papers done and then stay
the night in Nvo L. at one of the nice hotels . Yes, really!
We came into Nvo Laredo from the SOUTH Wednesday afternoon at 6 pm and signed
in for a room at Galaxy Hotel at the south end of Av Guerrero , actually
there name changed to Av Reforma #3607. Nice place with secure parking
for only $24 for two beds .
After signing in we rode north to the terminal down between the two bridges ,cancelled out TVIPs and Tourist cards in a mere 20 minutes , the only clients
there, and rode back down Av Guerrero to the hotel .
Of course we did not go wandering around in the dark city, but nothing bad
happened to us. News item : tourism is down 90% in this area, we did our part to
counter that 😁 This was the second time within a year I used this hotel, better deal than anything on the US side of the river.
McFoil you can also do your part , go int Nvo L. do the paperwork , get rested and be free to get an early start next morning .
That's our plan and thanks for getting the books to me so quick. I've been reading up on all the towns I've visited so far. It's great to get your perspective.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #13845
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
McFoil ,a bit of an update on theNvo Laredo hotels listed .
Cross out Hotel Santa Monica which is almost beside Galaxy , it is not available because it has been requisitioned by the Mex Army to billet soldiers. Not a problem,
just a bit of security 👍😝
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote