Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #13846
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
@Bingo43:

Outstanding! Glad you've recovered and are making big plans for Mexico. What a trip to make at 18. He'll remember it for the rest of his life. So cool.

Assuming it's the two of you on two bikes, what are your plans for TVIPs?
I think I'd like to try the mail route this time. I'll get the TVIP's for my son and I via mail and have them all ready to do. Hit the casa de tricepilot on the way down for some last minute bbq and then get a hotel near the border. I'd like to try the walk across thing this time. I've thought about just going through the regular border(Nuevo Laredo) because If I had all my paperwork ready to go, I could just scoot through at 6:00 am or when the sun comes up. If you go to the Colombia border it did not open (I think) till 8:00am and then you have travel to and from...It seems I could get three hours closer to Real de Catorce that much faster...Does the Colombia border still open at 8:00? That is what it says online I did like how few people there were there(Colombia)...but three hours is three hours.
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #13847
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
I think I'd like to try the mail route this time. I'll get the TVIP's for my son and I via mail and have them all ready to do. Hit the casa de tricepilot on the way down for some last minute bbq and then get a hotel near the border. I'd like to try the walk across thing this time. I've thought about just going through the regular border(Nuevo Laredo) because If I had all my paperwork ready to go, I could just scoot through at 6:00 am or when the sun comes up. If you go to the Colombia border it did not open (I think) till 8:00am and then you have travel to and from...It seems I could get three hours closer to Real de Catorce that much faster...Does the Colombia border still open at 8:00? That is what it says online I did like how few people there were there(Colombia)...but three hours is three hours.
FWIW sunrise at NL June 3 is 6:43
Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #13848
patched
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Sayulita

leaving home in Wisconsin now crossing in Del Rio Tx. should be in SanBlas or Sayulita by next weekend! I wont miss worrying if i'm going fall on my ass with every step i take on this ice. hopefully it will be gone when i get home.
patched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #13849
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
FWIW sunrise at NL June 3 is 6:43
Good point.

Colombia still has posted hours of operation as 8am-midnight. So the three hours is more like two. Still a good chunk of time.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #13850
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by patched View Post
leaving home in Wisconsin now crossing in Del Rio Tx. should be in SanBlas or Sayulita by next weekend! I wont miss worrying if i'm going fall on my ass with every step i take on this ice. hopefully it will be gone when i get home.
We will be in Sayulita that week. Riding f8gs y r12rt. Buy you a beer if we cross paths. Last January San Blas streets around plaza were still jacked up with construction. San Blas Social Club was temporarily closed. Billy Bob's Honky Tonk still open and lots of fun (well, fun for SB).
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #13851
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by patched View Post
Way to get out on the road Patched! Give me a shout if you pass by Dgo. I have a great route for you SW from Dgo to the coast. I love San Blas, Sayulita and San Poncho too!
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #13852
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Aduana

Back to last week's topic. I got the red light last night at the airport with about $150 USD worth of motorcycle parts in my suitcase (2 heavy duty tubes, bag of fiberglass muffler re-packing, water pump rebuild kit). They found it all, still in the boxes and asked me what type of bike I ride? I knew what he was getting at and told him it was a dirt bike.

Dirt bike = toy = sporting goods exemption.
Street bike = vehicle = auto parts = pay taxes with no exemption at all.

He was cool about at and let me go with no taxes!. They are not always that nice. I have had to pay taxes on some obviously dirt bike tires, but it's something to think about when bringing in MC parts.

SR screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 05:35 PM
Old 03-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #13853
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,216
What it looks like when you say adios to a friend.

The Rocky Oyster has pulled up stakes and is heading out of Veracruz.
But not without a ride through the Tuxtlas but on the ocean side.

Great visit, Dave! Glad you enjoyed Veracruz, watch out for the brujos in Catemaco! You've got really nice weather coming up for Saturday and Sunday but..."beware the Isthmus of Tehuantepec in the Ides of March"!
North wind will be coming in strong by Monday in the morning hours.

Did I mention that Salma Hayek is from Coatzacoalcos? Remember, everyone has a twin! LOL!

Ride safe, come back soon. I know you'll agree, the magic here is anywhere but on the Mex #180 coast highway. The Costa Esmeralda can't hold a candle to Roca Partida and Montepio.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #13854
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Back to last week's topic. I got the red light last night at the airport with about $150 USD worth of motorcycle parts in my suitcase (2 heavy duty tubes, bag of fiberglass muffler re-packing, water pump rebuild kit). They found it all, still in the boxes and asked me what type of bike I ride? I knew what he was getting at and told him it was a dirt bike.

Dirt bike = toy = sporting goods exemption.
Street bike = vehicle = auto parts = pay taxes with no exemption at all.

He was cool about at and let me go with no taxes!. They are not always that nice. I have had to pay taxes on some obviously dirt bike tires, but it's something to think about when bringing in MC parts.

On Wednesday I drove to Nogales to pick up up my shock(to replace the broken Wilbers)

Now, the night before I went on the US border Patrol site and was sure I could use my NEXUS pass in the SENTRI lame. I go to the downtown Nogales crossing and enter the SENTRI lane bypassing a two hour clusterfuck in the regular lanes. Scan my cardin the reader and pull up to the Officer who informs me my rental car is not registered with SENTRI and my NEXUS card is not is not valid with SENTRI and he can revoke my NEXUS priveledges and confiscate my card immediately. OH OH I'm in deepshit.

I explain the circumstances with the broken bike and my obvious misunderstadning of the rules. I remain reasonably calm and respectul.

The officer beileves my story and lets me through advising me he has made a note to my file. Some of these border patrol guys are officious jerks. Fortunately this guy was professional and reasonable.

Picked up the shock. At the Aduana station KM 21 south of Nogales I enetered the Nothing to Decalre lane and got waved over. I guess a gringo in a rent a car with a Jalisco plate is interesting. The officer asks to look in the trunk.

Sitting in the trunk is an opened package with a a new looking stock BMW R1150GS shock. He says nothing and only asks me for the car rental contract. A few minutes later I'm on my way
Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #13855
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

Well, I hope he passes through here on his way north but I realize we're a bit out of the way.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #13856
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

Great visit, Dave! Glad you enjoyed Veracruz, watch out for the brujos in Catemaco! You've got really nice weather coming up for Saturday and Sunday but..."beware the Isthmus of Tehuantepec in the Ides of March"!
North wind will be coming in strong by Monday in the morning hours.

Did I mention that Salma Hayek is from Coatzacoalcos? Remember, everyone has a twin! LOL!

Ride safe, come back soon. I know you'll agree, the magic here is anywhere but on the Mex #180 coast highway. The Costa Esmeralda can't hold a candle to Roca Partida and Montepio.
Excellent photo. Ride safely RMO.
PAPA
SJTRA

jimmex screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 04:18 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #13857
SR
Beastly Adventurer

+1

+1 very nice photo MikeMike!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #13858
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
On Wednesday I drove to Nogales to pick up up my shock(to replace the broken Wilbers)

Sitting in the trunk is an opened package with a a new looking stock BMW R1150GS shock. He says nothing and only asks me for the car rental contract. A few minutes later I'm on my way
Good news! All part of a good adventure! Do you have a mechanic or will you swap out the shock yourself?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #13859
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Bingo43 ... I repeat my advice as given toMcFoil a few posts back.
Bite the bullet , cross into Nvo Laredo after a fast run from San Antonio , get your paperwork arranged at your leisure , get a Mexican hotel room and be set go take off the instant the first light of dawn shows over the horizon . Now THAT would save you time on the way toReal de 14 .No need to do the detour to Colombia
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #13860
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,109
thanks for all of the help

Just got back from my first Mexico trip. Made it to San Miguel de allende. Everyones help here was invaluable. I cant remember who suggested Real de Catorce but that was the jewel of the trip. We took most of the route suggestions, stayed at la posada, monjas in San Miguel, coffee suggestions, walked across bridge for tourists visa the night before we crossed. More info to come later.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote