Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #13996
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
And, as I see it, both types should be valued and respected on this thread. Or equally pissed on. ;)

As usual, I'm a bit of a hybrid. I ride to Mexico to ride the sweet roads but what I find in Mexico sure adds to the fun. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Nothing wrong with "both/and".
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
I am definitely more in Pedro's camp. I am a traveler and adventurer who is using a motorcycle as his vehicle. I enjoy riding my bike but get frequent reminders that I am not that good at it. I enjoy "touring" on my bike both on and off road. At going on 68 a nice curvy road is a thrill but my "ear holing" days are long past..

Somewhere in my trip planning I missed Sjoerd's book. It would have been of great use. Rough Guide is good but geared to pedestrian travelers. From what I can tell Sjoerd is a mototcyclist's motorcyclist. If you are just going to ride main highways the AAA map is a pretty good tool. I would also get the Guia Roji Atlas. Evidently it has some errors but it has been useful to me. I have a Garmin 650t that I currently would love to shove up Garmin's Corporate arse. Fortunately I have never relied on it other than as a reference.

Two different riding coaches have stressed to me the importance of doing some training for an adventure ride. It is a damn good idea. Mexico will also challenge your riding skills. When you fall there will instantly be eager hands to pick you up. I learned that again this afternoon when I did a bone head move and suffered the consequences.

You will see over and over here: don't ride at night. I will add to that don't ride tired, don't ride preoccupied (topes will eat you if you go wool gathering), don't ride intoxicated. Do ride with a smile for everyone you meet...even the f'ing Transito cops...crooked bastards that they can be. Mexico and her people are as concerned about security as we are. Even more so because they have to live with this shit everyday. We are just passing through. The security presence here does sometimes remind me of Saigon 1970. The govt. here is allocating huge resources to their security presence. How well that is allocated is a subject for a different venue than this one. I personally question the value of cops ridin two up on CanAms. Expensive high maintenance machines. Yankee $$ ??

The Real Jurel, practically next to the Bus Station in San Cristobal de Las Casas at 250 pesos is a screaming deal...quiet, very clean, secure parking.

The "sucky search engine" on this thread works pretty well if you take a little time to figure out what you are looking for. There are also the trip planning and hotel threads.

Tomorrow I will be able to report to you on the hospital here and the availability of orthopedic care.
Yep. I love just going down there, but I would rather do it on a bike than any other mode of transportation. I have found that being on a bike is more of an ice-breaker for the locals approaching you.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #13997
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Bato this looks like a great place. Thanks for the recommendation. I have been meaning to spend a day or two in Monclova instead of just stopping at Los Corrales for a meal and proceeding on to Saltillo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Posts back saw recommendation for hotel in Monclova allow me do the same when I go there and dont want to deal with mom I stay at
Hotel Olimpia a cross from the main plaza in front of the cathedral 520.00 pesos not bad for a double room with secure parking owned by cousin Gaby Garza

Off course always end up at her table

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #13998
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
ride Mexico to ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
I guess what makes some of us different from each other is that we ride to Mexico to see Mexico, as opposed to riding to Mexico to ride.
There are a lot of reasons to ride Mexico.....I like to know Mexico....to me the friendly people and pretty pictures are only a small part.....that is the part to see..

I am sure a lot of you don't care.......but I like to Know Mexico....things like the city of Zacatecas was founded about 60 years after America was discovered...the oldest hotel in north America that has been a hotel since it was constructed is in Mexico and is a very nice place to stay......most of us know that when a Spanish person mated with an Indain the offspring was a mestizo......I learned in a tour in Asientos that there was more than 60 different mixes of offspring in the area and are registered in the baptisem records there in the church, and some of the common last names we know today came from reference of mixed race offspring, Agilar is one of them.......lake Chapala is the largest inland body of water in Mexico....most of you probably know that...but while enjoying the Chapala area I got to know a person that was a schooled expert in water treatment and contamination that told me that the contamination of Lake Chapala is less than most of the coast of California, however because there are so many dames and water consumption upstream that it does not receive more water than it will hold so there is no water leaving and it is becoming a salt lake...

To know Mexico is the frosting on the cake of great ridding like the Espinaso, Sweet 16, the ride over the mountains of Zacatecas and Durango on the way to San Blass to know one of the oldest ports on the west cost.

For me the reason to ride Mexico is for the truly great ridding in order to know Mexico.
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #13999
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
So I have to ask from the midewest US:

Does it seem that Pena Nieto is trying to settle the narco problems by discouraging reporting, bringing the Navy back to their bases, and turning a blind eye to the problem? It seems he's trying to say "let's attack corruption in organized labor but allow the narco trade to proliferate."

The narcos seem to hate all the reporting of their atrocities. They attack and kill reporters and news agencies in Mexico that report on it. The new/OLD PRI govt also seem to hate all the reporting. And of course, if the Navy are not engaging the narcos then there aren't incidents to report. So ... we have a concerted effort by the PRI, the narcos, and those profiting from the silence (tourism) to shut down reporting of the violence. So the Mexican solution under the PRI is "don't ask, don't tell" and maybe the tourists will come back.

Tell me I'm screwed in the head.

FB
Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #14000
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Funny thing is, when I told Tricewife I was going up to Austin to buy this bike
Did you get that at the shop on n Lamar? I got my bike repaired at Austin motors next door 6310 n lamar

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #14001
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Don't ask don't tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
So I have to ask from the midewest US:

Does it seem that Pena Nieto is trying to settle the narco problems by discouraging reporting, bringing the Navy back to their bases, and turning a blind eye to the problem? It seems he's trying to say "let's attack corruption in organized labor but allow the narco trade to proliferate."

The narcos seem to hate all the reporting of their atrocities. They attack and kill reporters and news agencies in Mexico that report on it. The new/OLD PRI govt also seem to hate all the reporting. And of course, if the Navy are not engaging the narcos then there aren't incidents to report. So ... we have a concerted effort by the PRI, the narcos, and those profiting from the silence (tourism) to shut down reporting of the violence. So the Mexican solution under the PRI is "don't ask, don't tell" and maybe the tourists will come back.

Tell me I'm screwed in the head.

FB
I don't think it has a lot to do with tourists....it is kinda like North Korea....if you don't tell the people what is happening they won't think it is so bad.....tourists don't elect the Pres, the people are tired of the narco crap and by not reporting it the people won't know the extent of what is happening........last week end in reynosa the governemt reported 3 dead and an unofficial report was at least two pickups loaded with bodies were hauled off......nothing to do with tourists....everything to do with keeping the voters happy by not reporting or letting people know.....I think some of that goes on in the US of A too, no?
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #14002
patched
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
san blass

last posted march 8 first internet access im in san blas ill catch up tomorrw
patched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #14003
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Ditto Bob. And how many bikes are in your garage now? And weren't you the one giving me a hard time for buying my 3rd bike within the past year?
Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
Did you get that at the shop on n Lamar? I got my bike repaired at Austin motors next door 6310 n lamar
That is the place.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #14004
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,314
Lots of truth in what RW66 writes.

Love this picture I took of RW66 and his son, Pilot815, when we were at the Hilltop Cafe. The looks are priceless.

WeazyBuddha screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 08:44 PM
WeazyBuddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #14005
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Bato this looks like a great place. Thanks for the recommendation. I have been meaning to spend a day or two in Monclova instead of just stopping at Los Corrales for a meal and proceeding on to Saltillo.
Let me know in advance to be there and give you a tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Bato,
I'm so glad to have another hotel option in Monclova as I've been staying at the pinche Fiesta Inn for $100/night. This hotel looks much better. Thanks.
I also recomend Hotel Villareal in Acuna and I can get you special rate
Hey I was thinkng of you today as I was crossing this mountain stayed standed on the GS as long as I could only droped once and pick it up by my self

this thread is my school!
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #14006
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Me:

Bato - our planned GS/all pavement ride down Baja has been officially cancelled. Since the arrival of the KTM, my Baja plans are now changed to be an almost totally off-road event a la rnrdozer's ride report. But you can take your GS if you want.

Bato:

Practice the laugh: Bajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja

I love you Trice
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #14007
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,696
Quote:

I love you Trice

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #14008
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,044
Heads up for southern Veracruz if you are around these parts.
Campesino protest for the second time this week. The pineapple growers
are pissed off.
Vuelven a bloquear!

13 March, 2013 01:07:00

Cosamaloapan.- Agroproductores de piña de la región sur de Veracruz, se amotinaron y colocaron una barricada humana en el entronque de la autopista 145 Isla, Santiago Tuxtla, Cosamaloapan y Acayucan, Ver., y Loma Bonita, Oax.

Lo cual ha generado un caos vehicular en la demarcación, impidiendo el transito de vehículos particulares, de pasaje, turismo y de carga con alimentos, por lo que la Policía Federal, esta realizando cortes de la circulación.

Alfonso Barrera del Consejo Estatal de la Piña adherido a la CNC, dijo que la irritación social de los piñeros es porque desde las once y media se les cito a una junta de trabajo con personal de SEDARPA, los cuales no hacen caso.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #14009
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,277
Quote:
Let me know in advance to be there and give you a tour

I also recomend Hotel Villareal in Acuna and I can get you special rate
Hey I was thinkng of you today as I was crossing this mountain stayed standed on the GS as long as I could only droped once and pick it up by my self

this thread is my school!
Where were you? Glad you're getting out there on the terraceria. I need to go down there at least to cancel my TVIP and do a little riding. Saludos, JIm
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #14010
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Highway 199 Palenque to San Cristobal de las Casas

This is not a particularly good road but it is a great ride! Plan your departure/arrival from whatever direction you are coming to include a stop at Cascadas Agua Azul. It is very touristy but is well worth seeing. There is a hotel of some kind there and there are lots of restaurants and stands that have fresh fruit, reasonably good but not great coffee, and all kinds of souvenirs. If it is hot and you are so inclined you can even have a swim in a couple of pools. There is an admission charge of 47 pesos. Lots of Europeans on buses. Do not even think about riding this road at night. There is an interesting looking hotel in Ocosingo, If I had been running late I would have stayed there. Hospedaje Esmerelda and there a couple of others listed on TripAdvisor.

There were some workers gathering for a protest of some kind at Oxchuc, they had a rope across the road that they dropped as I approached. Other than spilling out into the roadway they were no problem at all. Just past Oxchuc I saw another rider heading towards Palenque, I stopped to try to exchange greetings and information but he kept on going. Don't know if he stopped. I started to make a U-turn to see if he had stopped and that is when I dropped the bike on my leg. Classic overloaded and already top heavy GS move... I know it and I have practiced it and this time I just lost focus for an instant and down I went. San Cristobal del Las Casas is not a bad place to recover but I am not able to get around very well to explore it and the doc and friends said to stay off the knee. I wanted to share info with the other rider and due to the time of day and the weather I had been riding through to recommend that he stop in Ocosingo. I would also have liked to learn from him what I was riding into because it really sucked. Heavy, dense clouds, cold and wet. We are still experiencing the effects of the "norte" that started blowing into Palenque and here on Tuesday night. Patches of sun here but mostly cloudy and cool. Altitude here something like 2250 meters. Would be perfect if sunny. Always nice to stop for a minute to say Hi! and share some road intel.

I experienced first hand what Mike Mike has said about medical care down here. Thankfully I am not seriously injured but I got a first hand look at just what Mike has been saying. All in all I felt kind of guilty for taking the time of the medical staff with my damn knee. The range of problems I witnessed while I waited for hours to be seen was like a pictorial medical book or the Medical Museum at the Smithsonian. I was seen by two different and competent general physicians at no charge, it is a State of Chiapas Hospital. The X-ray cost 212 pesos, just over $17US, for two views of my knee. CAT scan or MRI? Fugeddabout it. The visit also taxed my slightly advances Spanish skills beyond their tipping point but it was all worked out. The nurse, as I have found nurses in many places in the world, were fabulous. It is in the genetic code of people who seek nursing as a profession. From my interactions I learned that if my need had been urgent or emergent, as in bleeding or open fracture, the treatment would have been slightly more responsive, but I would not count on it.

When I fell there were four or more guys rushing to my aid before I could even turn off the switch to stop the blaring horn whose button was pressed against the tank bag. They saw that my leg was hurt and told me to just stand by while they righted the bike and got it to the side of the road. I had to take it out of gear and show them the side stand. Once they got the bike upright and out of the road they were gone. If I had been more seriously hurt I would have had to summon others to my aid. These were great guys at a time of need and they went about their business with the same speed as they responded. Viva Mexico!

rockymountainoyster screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 11:51 AM Reason: Addition
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote