Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #14041
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
They were visibly upset that I was leaving and I felt pretty awkward about it.
Well duh! Have the money to pay the bar tab next time.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #14042
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Sig line of the week:

"Those who dare, risk defeat. Those who don't, ensure it."

- advFord
Old 03-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #14043
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
Could you tell us which road that happened on amigo?
At the entrance to the pueblo Cihuatlan, Jalisco on Hwy 200 between Mazanillo and Barra Navidad. If you google up "Ciuhatlan Jalisco violence" you will get some details. It has been the only time either of us had been searched by the military. It was no big deal. I was a little worried about getting my GPS back though.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #14044
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Miguelito: as I recall "cocci" was first detected in fliers who were training in the Arizona desert during WWII. Prop wash stirred up a lot of dust that they inhaled and got sick. Took some medical sleuthing to figure out what was going on with this illness of "unknown etiology" Nice new bike. Do you still have the "Strom"
David, that infection is often misdiagnosed or undiagnosed altogether. Re: the Vstrom, I can only have one foreign plated vehicle in the country, and the Strom and Tenere are not dissimilar enough anyway that I would want both in my stable in any case, so the Suzuki went to live in Texas.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #14045
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,944
Earlier on, AndyC had a question about the Federales fishing for bribes.
It's not unheard of these days for them to be doing that, by them I mean the Federales de Caminos, the highway patrol guys. It isn't as common as it used to be, a lot of it depends on the zone commander who is in charge.
The other Federales are the "preventivos" the PFP and those guys have undergone some radical changes in the past 4 to 5 years.

First, they were brought in before the military (marines, navy, regular army, etc...) to police areas that were out of control. This led to massive billeting of PFP agents in various locales. If they couldn't control things, the regular armed forces were brought in and the local police were usually disbanded. Then, it was a joint effort of PFP and military handling things. It is not unheard of for PFP to make stops arbitrarily and look for opportunities for shake downs. Often, this can be outside what could be considered their jurisdiction, but being Feds, they pretty much do what they want. Again, it depends on the chain of command present in the area.

Generally, it is the local pain in the ass traffic cops who will do a shake down, these are the guys to avoid. Like the Tampico trauma inflicted on wallets!

By the way, the Alvarado police department were all fired the other day, military is keeping order and replacements are being brought in. There were 4 narcos killed by military in Fortin (you know Fortin, Andy) earlier and a massive bust in Veracruz that luckily didn't end in a shoot out. Lucky for the narcos, that is.

Yesterday, the state government had a press conference to dispel the rumors that armed vigilante anti-crime groups exist in Veracruz. They said there are none. Meanwhile, one of the only reasonably accurate newspapers has published pictures of these groups. I have been in both areas depicted in the paper and yes, the locals will tell you that they have taken matters into their own hands. You can feel safer with them than with any form of local police force.

I was stopped a couple of weeks back with two other riders for a lengthy question and answer session with state police as to why we were going to enter an area, who we were, etc... Much longer than the usual stop and more involved. The state police were trying to blame the local unrest on the locals and shift the blame from themselves. Anyone with an ear to the ground knows it is simply a failing PR move on their part.

I haven't been able to find any of that on the infamous Borderland Beat.
Borderland Beat is also claiming that Tamaulipas is the most censored state.
I call bullshit on that one.

I am pretty sure Andy will back me up when I say that you have more of a chance of a bad news encounter with a speeding Nissan Tsuru or Jetta on a highway than you do with narcos!

The most important thing I am seeing these days is that they are not rotating the troops and they are getting tired of the day to day policing and assorted headaches that go with it.

You can't see it in their faces because of the balaclavas they wear.

But you can see it in their eyes.

Pena Nieto is cutting back, the marines are getting tired, something is afoot.

And as always, unless you are in the business, the chances of it affecting you are very, very slim.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #14046
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
We are still experiencing the effects of the "norte" that started blowing into Palenque and here on Tuesday night.
RMO, good to hear you finally made it to Paleque - only 3 months late! ;-) is the weather always crappy down there? Sounds just like it was in December, really wet, low cloud. Maybe it's colder now.

I got to Leon, Nicaragua after a miserable day yesterday crossing 2 borders in 100f heat.

Sorry to hear about your overloaded GS oopsy, I've come close to doing the same thing a couple of times on the overloaded Tenere, but gotten away with it so far. Hope you recover quickly.

Trevor
Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #14047
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Where were you? Glad you're getting out there on the terraceria. I need to go down there at least to cancel my TVIP and do a little riding. Saludos, JIm
I'm in Sayulita now Jimmex came with Arte he intoduce me to his primos in Zacatecas was hopeing that he would introduce me to his primas but not luck yet let me know when you want to go to Acuna ,Hotel Villareal is own by my son's inlaws since you are my lawyer ou get to stay there for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
At the entrance to the pueblo Cihuatlan, Jalisco on Hwy 200 between Mazanillo and Barra Navidad. If you google up "Ciuhatlan Jalisco violence" you will get some details. It has been the only time either of us had been searched by the military. It was no big deal. I was a little worried about getting my GPS back though.
where is KiKo?

Was in Guadalajara yestarday but didn't see you would you be in chapala Sunday discover that I have a cousin that lives there she is like 60 and single think I want to hit her

Schizz was trying to stay in the right side of my lane on the left cornners while crossing the sierra on MX200 what a diference thank you

Arte's gang from Zacatecas

Bato's bike

Carring the inner sadlebags that belonged to a dear friend ... Priceless
Thanks to all my teachers here
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #14048
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
but my complaint with Transitos is that the lazy culos don't work hard enough.

Para ser Transito, es huevon.

True story, SR: I had a vocho (modelo 94) that I used for 6 years, never missed a beat, great car for the city. I sold it to a woman who had never owned a car and never driven a car. First time out, a block from her house, she runs over a Transito. I saw the write up in the paper and recognized my car. No damage to it. Damn, I miss that car! It had soul and knew exactly what to aim for.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #14049
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Bato, que paso con el Juicy Fruit.
Dejaste de fumar, tu?

O solo despues del "prau prau"? LOL!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #14050
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I'm no doctor but I don't think that Mexican fear of wind is based on medical fact? Even people in the city believe this.

Some of the things that Mexicans believe about medicine are holdovers from pre-Colombian times. Every barrio and rancho in Mexico has at least one sobadera or curandero and you see Tienditas Yerberos all over the place. These beliefs/traditions come from the Aztecs.

Don't forget the "huesero" bone setter guy.

Fear of wind in Mexico is a healthy survival instinct. It has saved me many a time following the breakfast at the lena of cecina, raw onions, raw jalapenos, and the salsa.
The Darwinian equivalent of a good and healthy desayuno.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #14051
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, there is a quasi-brujo guy who lives in a hut on a ranch near Alvarado (sorry Rocky Oyster, but he is invitation only and the family that knows him was out of town, but he doesn't do the "cleansings" just bone stuff but judging by your knee, I guess you could use him now!), he does the "chiropractic" stuff too, but he also sets broken bones. Very good person to know back in the days when the clinics were few and far between. In some areas, it hasn't changed that much. If you live back in the sierra, fall off a horse, and have no transportation, the bonesetter will be your best bet if you are an unlucky campesino.
The Virgin of Guadalupe is a close cousin to "The mother of invention".
Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #14052
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,178
Sounds like Bato's running a little hot. Sounds like P fever to me.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #14053
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Windex enema. Cures everything. Nuff said
Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #14054
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #14055