Guess you haven't seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"
Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #14058
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Traditional Medicine

"I did not know the Aztec empire reached all the way across the USA , over
Canada and the Atlantic into Europe ! 😱 They must have been some really
ingenious hippies having clandestinely set up a network quasi medicine under guises
of herbal cleanses, holistic , homeopathic and natural that have adherents to this day. Ignorance and gullibility know no boundaries 😜 bad ideas will drive out the good ideas if education fails"

Sjoerd, is this tongue in cheek or are you actually suggesting that modern allopathic medicine based in the strictures of Cartesian "scientific method" is better than traditional medicine that is based in thousands of years of experience and treatment? Where education has failed is in throwing out the holistic, homeopathic, and naturopathic modalities in favor of so called "scientific" medicine. Allopathic medicine has its place, I don't want a "faith healer" doing my appendectomy, setting my leg or any number of other things that we do well in western medicine but to suggest that traditional methods are a bunch of hippie claptrap defies reason and knowledge. Even contemporary allopathic medical schools are recognizing and teaching the values of natural and even native methods. There is a native clinic in Arizona that is run by a Harvard Med School native born doctor and uses traditional medicine with a better success rate than Indian Health Service hospitals that follow the allopathic model. The "first nations peoples" as you call them predate the Aztecs and other Mesoamerican and South American native cultures. After crossing the Bering Strait they populated the whole of North America as they moved South. They started this journey maybe 40,000 years ago and learned to live with what they found on the land, including medicine.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #14059
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
"I did not know the Aztec empire reached all the way across the USA , over
Canada and the Atlantic into Europe ! 😱 They must have been some really
ingenious hippies having clandestinely set up a network quasi medicine under guises
of herbal cleanses, holistic , homeopathic and natural that have adherents to this day. Ignorance and gullibility know no boundaries 😜 bad ideas will drive out the good ideas if education fails"

Sjoerd, is this tongue in cheek or are you actually suggesting that modern allopathic medicine based in the strictures of Cartesian "scientific method" is better than traditional medicine that is based in thousands of years of experience and treatment? Where education has failed is in throwing out the holistic, homeopathic, and naturopathic modalities in favor of so called "scientific" medicine. Allopathic medicine has its place, I don't want a "faith healer" doing my appendectomy, setting my leg or any number of other things that we do well in western medicine but to suggest that traditional methods are a bunch of hippie claptrap defies reason and knowledge. Even contemporary allopathic medical schools are recognizing and teaching the values of natural and even native methods. There is a native clinic in Arizona that is run by a Harvard Med School native born doctor and uses traditional medicine with a better success rate than Indian Health Service hospitals that follow the allopathic model. The "first nations peoples" as you call them predate the Aztecs and other Mesoamerican and South American native cultures. After crossing the Bering Strait they populated the whole of North America as they moved South. They started this journey maybe 40,000 years ago and learned to live with what they found on the land, including medicine.

And they lived until the ripe old age of 37

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #14060
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Hey, all Patch Adams needed was a red clown nose and some inflated surgical gloves. Who's to say that licking a tree won't work?

Of course historic remedies must have had some effect, but I like to feel that modern medicine has refined those cures somewhat.

I get very annoyed by homeopathy. The quantity of the active ingredient is so diluted that it's impossible to detect. Homeopathic practitioners will admit that fact if pushed, but claim it is nonetheless effective as the "essence" or "spirit" of it is in there and therefore works on a more existential plane. It's bottled water or sugar pills and therefore can only be effective when considered as "placebo" or faith healing. The reassuringly high cost actually adds to is luster IMO.

Use Steve Jobs as an example. His cancer was treatable apparently, but due to his deep-seated hippy beliefs, he tried to control it with a fruitarian diet. When he realized all he was getting out of it was more pungent gas, it was too late. The plethora of iOS fart apps are clearly an homage to his memory.

My wife swears by homeopathy but then again she married me so her judgment is clearly impaired on many levels.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #14061
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Guess you haven't seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"
Ah I get it now. Thanks Ben Wa!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #14062
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
Schizz
Very understandable if you had not received your shot
But I deed, I deed!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #14063
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,701
Mexican Medicine

All I know is that I've inhaled some herbal remedies down there that fixed me right up.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #14064
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Two men armed with a machine gun and a handgun opened fire in a bar on the outskirts of Cancun on Thursday, killing at least six people and wounding five, the office of the state's attorney general said.

Cancun, a major tourist destination on Mexico's Caribbean coast, has largely escaped the drug-related violence that has racked Acapulco, a faded tourist hot spot on the Pacific coast.

Last month, six Spanish women were raped by hooded gunmen who forced their way into the apartment they were renting.

So far no motorcycle enthusiasts have been bothered.

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #14065
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
I guess T.P. was right

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
But I deed, I deed!!
If you got THE SHOT......then T.P. must be right.....you forgot to pay the bar bill
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #14066
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
Two men armed with a machine gun and a handgun opened fire in a bar on the outskirts of Cancun on Thursday, killing at least six people and wounding five, the office of the state's attorney general said.

Cancun, a major tourist destination on Mexico's Caribbean coast, has largely escaped the drug-related violence that has racked Acapulco, a faded tourist hot spot on the Pacific coast.

Last month, six Spanish women were raped by hooded gunmen who forced their way into the apartment they were renting.

Would you be shocked if a year went by and there were zero issues of violence in either the U.S. or in Mexico? A month? A week? A day?

So would I.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #14067
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
I study the context in which these events occur. That has relevance to my trip planning.

If news of events of violence not related to motorcycle travel has relevance for you, rock on.

You still haven't made a point, so I may be jumping to conclusions as to the intent of your post.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #14068
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,052
Now here is something that everyone should pay particular attention to.
The military shot and killed 3 people in a car last night here in Veracruz. One of the dead was a 17 year old a minor under Mexican law.
They were chased and shot because they ran an obligatory vehicle stop operated by the military. Witnesses are now saying here it could have been a mistake by the military. Some have been saying that the vehicle was simply going too fast and missed the stop and perhaps accelerated again out of fear. Of particular interest here is that the military were shooting for up to 10 minutes. Shooting in the air to prevent motorists and pedestrians from coming any closer to the scene. This is a fairly busy part of town during the evening hours. If they screwed up on this one, things are going to get real tense here.
LOS TIROTEAN!

15 March, 2013 07:34:00

TRES MUERTOS

Por CARLOS HERNANDEZ
Reportero de NOTIVER

Fotos EDUARDO GUEVARA y JOEL SORIANO

Anoche tres jóvenes fueron acribillados, entre ellos un menor de edad, ya que no se detuvieron al marcarles el alto al automóvil en que viajaban, desatandose una persecución y balacera hasta que chocaron contra un poste en céntricas calles de la ciudad, generando daños además del pánico e indignación de familias de la zona.

Trascendió que los hechos ocurrieron alrededor de las 21:50 horas de ayer jueves, en los momentos que los ahora difuntos iban a bordo de un coche marca Mazda tipo 3, modelo reciente, color plata, con placas de circulación YKD-4798 del estado, sobre la avenida de José María Pino Suárez en dirección sur a norte.

Cuadras atrás pasaron frente a un retén de revisión de vehículos, pero no detuvieron la marcha de su unidad debido a la velocidad que llevaban, dijeron algunos testigos, lo que desato en una persecución por parte de efectivos de la Policía Naval, que abrieron fuego sin aparente motivo, al considerar como sospechosos a los tripulantes, que aceleraron probablemente asustados.

Las detonaciones de armas de fuego de alto poder, que provenían de los uniformados se alcanzaban a escuchar a varias cuadras, provocando alarma entre la población, así como pánico entre madres de familia y vecinos de la avenida Pino Suárez que todavía estaban afuera de sus hogares, así como de conductores de automóviles que circulaban sobre esas calles.

Entre las calles de Echeven y Velázquez de la Cadena una patrulla derribo un poste metálico de alumbrado público, además el conductor de una camioneta Ford, tipo Eco Sport, color negro, modelo reciente, placas de circulación WLF-2133 del Estado de México perdió control del volante, subió a la banqueta y estrello contra un árbol.

Mientras que los pasajeros del auto Mazda perdieron control del volante, hasta impactarse contra un poste de la Comisión Federal de Electricidad, en la esquina de la avenida Pino Suárez y la calle de Velázquez de la Cadena, donde fueron abatidos a balazos por los oficiales de la Policía Naval, que llegaron en varias patrullas hasta en sentido contrario ante la confusión de automovilistas que todavía cruzaban por ahí.

Señoras con sus hijos pequeños corrieron a protegerse, al igual que comensales de unos negocios de antojitos situados a menos de una cuadra de la balacera, que continuó por cerca de diez minutos, pues aseguraron algunos testigos y vecinos de la zona, que los policías navales disparaban al aire para que la gente y los automovilistas no se acercaran, y se retiraran.

Lo anterior desato momentos de incertidumbre, pánico, y luego indignación pues manifestaron que expusieron a mucha gente, principalmente a menores de edad, y que se enteraron que los ahora occisos sólo paseaban en su automóvil, que en ningún momento agredieron a los patrulleros, ni portaban ningún tipo de arma de fuego.

Minutos más tarde llegaron hasta esa dirección gran cantidad de unidades de la Secretaría de Marina-Armada de México, así como grupos de Inteligencia Militar, efectivos de la Secretaría de Seguridad Pública asignados a la Policía Estatal, así como comandos del Ejército Mexicano para hacer un perímetro de dos cuadras, sin dejar pasar a las personas a sus hogares.

Personal de la Procuraduría de Justicia hizo acto de presencia, junto con detectives de la Agencia Investigadora del Ministerio Público en turno, técnicos de los Servicios Periciales y una carroza del Servicio Médico Forense, para practicar las diligencias de ley como una inspección ocular asegurando gran cantidad de cartuchos percutidos de alto poder.

Así mismo, con apoyo de dos grupos de policías de la Agencia Veracruzana de Investigaciones efectuaron el levantamiento de los cuerpos sin vida, y acribillados de los tres jóvenes, entre ellos aseguran estaba un menor de 17 años de edad, cuyas identidades no habían sido reveladas hasta el cierre de ésta edición.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #14069
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Definitely relevant.

Don't run from people with guns wanting you to stop.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #14070
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Definitely relevant.

Don't run from people with guns wanting you to stop.
Most especially the militaire