Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #14086
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
The bike is fine say are you gonna trailer the KTM to Baja or are you going to ride it ? I
That is not a bike I would ride I-10 from San Antonio to San Diego on. Thanks for asking!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #14087
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
As I have related before, the el Fuerte Incident was caused by the riders not listening to current on he ground intelligence about bad guys in the areas from hunting guides in Alamos and their driving around looking lost and vulnerable
Listening is a lost art. TurkeyC is pointing out something that might not be so obvious to people contemplating a trip through Mexico. There is a pretty extensive network of people available that can help you if you are willing to ask. It is that simple. I remember discussing this with Guaterider once, local rider knowledge can really help you out in some areas. I also discussed this once with a very old Mexican lady, a real gem of a person, and she told me a long time ago, to simply ask local people if there is anything of interest in the area. Waterfalls, spectacular views, animal habitats, fishing, places to eat, etc... everyone has an opinion and they usually are willing to help you out. Often, once the elderly start talking here, you get a real wealth of information.

Bato, the loosing of screws from that mudguard on the GS12's is a phenomenon I first witnessed on the ride from Veracruz to Catemaco on the back road with Nailit2em from Kansas City a few years ago. By the time we got out of Montepio, it was flopping around like a dancer at the old La Diosa club outside of Angel R. Cabada!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #14088
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Lost and Vulnerable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
As I have related before, the el Fuerte Incident was caused by the riders not listening to current on he ground intelligence about bad guys in the areas from hunting guides in Alamos and their driving around looking lost and vulnerable
Gee TC, this sounds like my current job description, maybe I am in the wrong place.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #14089
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Definitely relevant.

Don't run from people with guns wanting you to stop.
+1 advice that stands for anywhere in the world....
Old 03-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #14090
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Hippy

"Hippy" is a term that refers to a body part(s), usually female, and often in a derogatory manner: "She has a great body now, but after 40 she is going to be really hippy"

"Hippie" is a term used to describe a counter-culture life style that came to the attention of the main stream press most notably during the 1967 "summer of love" in San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury Neighborhood. The term was first coined, probably in the early sixties, by one of the poets associated with the "beats", Kenneth Rexroth. It is just another form of defining someone as a "hipster" and that goes way back in the jazz culture.

Motorcycling has always been a counterculture. In spite of Honda America's considerable efforts to clean up the image and sell bikes to "preppies", "yuppies", "boomers" and all manner of demographics identified with having cash to spend. "Follow The Leader, He's on a Honda" "Don't Follow Anyone", KAWASAKI, "Ride a Triumph, Just for Fun" motorcycling remains an alternative lifestyle even for the Harley Set who keep their leathers in the closet next to their three piece suits and the lawyers and accountants who have the multitude of GS's that have never even been through a puddle or on a well maintained gravel road.

This site incorporates a spell checker... can't figure out why it doesn't get used... would generate fewer cranky comments from some erudite inmates.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #14091
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Loose Screws

Bato if you see me on the highway stop me, I have some blue locktite, probably should have used it on my saddle the other day? In fact while I am recovering I should be checking for loose screws myself. It is something I routinely do every several days of riding. I found a bunch already, but not on the bike.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #14092
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,666
This site incorporates a spell checker... can't figure out why it doesn't get used... would generate fewer cranky comments from some erudite inmates.

Didn't mean for my comment to be considered cranky or erudite. I just thought the guy might have something interesting to say and it might be helpful if it were readable.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #14093
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Thanks for the cultural update.

If both are real words, spell check wouldn't help.

Craneguy screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 10:20 AM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #14094
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
... There is a pretty extensive network of people available that can help you

... local rider knowledge can really help you out in some areas.

... Often, once the elderly start talking here, you get a real wealth of information
You're not that old Mike!

By the way, self promotion belongs in "vendors"
Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #14095
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
I've only read one account by participant in this event (a Canadian IIRC). Are there others?

I've been to El Fuerte a number of times and have ridden from Alamos to El Fuerte on several different unpaved routes. So far I've not had problems, but in retrospect there was one situation around Buyobampo that had potential.
The whole group of 10 showed up here at our hotel in Banamichi 2 days after the event. Five people did the ride, the others decided to listen to the hunting guides.

What I was told. One guy threw his wallet down, Priscilla was in fear of being pulled off her bike and the guy was squeezing her arm and causing pain. The rest were watching and waiting. The write up by Warren (the Canadian) was very straight forward and closely matches my recollection of the discussion we had here and has the details about where the bullets went. Priscilla's write up was less detailed as I recall. Carlos (the guy with the slug inside his front wheel, wrote a letter to BMW Owner's News.

Yes, they should have thrown down the wallets but the guy pulling Priscilla was a wild card.

Both Warren and Priscilla told me they have no reservations about coming back to Mexico. Three of the 5 who listened to the warnings not to go that day will be back in Alamos and here in April.
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #14096
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Erudition

Not pointing a finger at you ace... there are other language nazis here including yours truly. Language was and is my livelihood.

Engineers can make grammatical and spelling errors but a miscalculated measurement or specification can have some far reaching results in the end product and there (I just had to manually correct this word and I don't just jest) is no substitute for clear communication.

You are right about spellchecker steve but it certainly goes a long way and does not fix there and their among many others. Doesn't fix hippy and hippie either.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #14097
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
... there are other language nazis here
I used to be one but since I demonstrate how inept I am in Español every minute of the day, I might as well be inept in ingles as well.
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #14098
vaara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
I have a few friends that were all fans of Mexico, they go down there a lot..

in 2 years 3 of them got mugged,, all in the same area (Mexico City) all in front of their hotels, all three did hospital time (Knife wounds).. BUT,, when you look at their situation, they all did the same thing. They were out LATE, all 3 20 to 25 yr old female, all three alone. Basically they all did something they would not do at home.. IE there are neighborhoods in any large city that are perfectly safe in the day time and at night they are not.. At least for a solo traveler..

FYI the mode of operation for all 3 muggers,,, drive up bail out of car stab victim grab purse take off.

I have a hunch your average farm town there is similar to your average farm town here, safe with thought and planning..
Within the past week, 3 people I know have had their iPhones stolen by teams of armed muggers in supposedly "safe" areas of San Francisco -- 2 of them were injured. The same thing happened to me in January. These incidents all happened between 9pm and midnight.

San Francisco is dangerous -- don't ever come here!

vaara screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 11:44 AM
vaara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #14099
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Salud @PV
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #14100
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post

Didn't mean for my comment to be considered cranky or erudite. I just thought the guy might have something interesting to say and it might be helpful if it were readable.
it was perfectly clear to me what he was saying even without any punctuation although i was tempted to tease him a little for it it's no big deal really

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote