Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #14266
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Machete not RR's first film. El Mariachi, released in 1993 when he was 25, has that honor. It was an extraordinary film, and was made for $7k. One of the studios pot up some money to make quality improvements for wide release. I think commercial success took his edge...but I guess he can buy better stuff.

Sin City, 2005, is probably the best film adaptation of a graphic novel I have ever seen.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #14267
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
I'll be riding from Mexico City to San Antonio next week, during Holy Week, 28/03/13 to 31/03/13.

I'm kind of wary about the tires on my bike. They have ~7700 miles on them, the round trip is ~1870 miles...

See the problem? 10,000 miles out of a set of tires on a Yamaha XJR1300!!!

BUT the numbers are on the tire's side. On the shoulder they have 6mm thread, right in the middle they have 2mm, and 3mm to the TWI closest to the center. Even by the time the thread in the middle is erased I'll have 1mm to the TWI...

And if math doesn't lie, if 4mm lasted ~7700 miles, the remaining 2mm should give me another 3800 miles! Enough to do the trip and 1900 miles to spare, or barely enough to do the trip twice.

And even then, it's actually 3mm to the TWI...

Thing here is that I don't know how different surfaces might affect tire wear. It is possible that the tires wear faster during this trip than they have worn in average. So I want to have a backup plan, if when I get to San Antonio things aren't looking well, I'll have the tires changed there. And that is why I need help and advise from the Texan inmates. Recommendations of shops where I could buy and have the tires mounted and balanced will be welcome.

By the way, I'll be riding highway 57, I'm still too scared to even think about riding HW 101.
Plan on replacing tires in San Antone. Remember the last 10% of a tire's wear accounts for 90% of its problems.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #14268
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Plan on replacing tires in San Antone. Remember the last 10% of a tire's wear accounts for 90% of its problems.
Why not pm Tricepilot on this forum. I am sure he will give you a recommendation. I believe he resides in San Antonio. Change your tires. Ask me how I know.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #14269
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Zipolite to Pinotepa Nacional

Back on the road. Have to stop pretty frequently to stretch knee. Advantage: meeting some nice Mexican folks along the way, speaking Spanish, learning about their lives. Dehydration a problem after stomach bug...damn I hate Gatorade! Cocos frios much better. Will post more later to RR.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #14270
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
I'll be riding from Mexico City to San Antonio next week, during Holy Week, 28/03/13 to 31/03/13.

I'm kind of wary about the tires on my bike. They have ~7700 miles on them, the round trip is ~1870 miles...

See the problem? 10,000 miles out of a set of tires on a Yamaha XJR1300!!!

BUT the numbers are on the tire's side. On the shoulder they have 6mm thread, right in the middle they have 2mm, and 3mm to the TWI closest to the center. Even by the time the thread in the middle is erased I'll have 1mm to the TWI...

And if math doesn't lie, if 4mm lasted ~7700 miles, the remaining 2mm should give me another 3800 miles! Enough to do the trip and 1900 miles to spare, or barely enough to do the trip twice.

And even then, it's actually 3mm to the TWI...

Thing here is that I don't know how different surfaces might affect tire wear. It is possible that the tires wear faster during this trip than they have worn in average. So I want to have a backup plan, if when I get to San Antonio things aren't looking well, I'll have the tires changed there. And that is why I need help and advise from the Texan inmates. Recommendations of shops where I could buy and have the tires mounted and balanced will be welcome.

By the way, I'll be riding highway 57, I'm still too scared to even think about riding HW 101.
I'm riding Mexico city to San Antonio too, but not sure on the date it should be by the end of the week . arrived here yeasterday and got hit by a TAXI from behind but it was minor while stopped on a light he tear the freaking plasitc rear fender on the GS and it shacked me a bit but didn't wanted argue so just got back on the bike and carry on ...Anyway PM me if interested on riding together and departure is flexible or if you want to meet for coffee here in DE EFE and chat about the trip and tires

Bato screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 06:45 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #14271
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Unless you're SlowOldGuy.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #14272
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Back on the road. Have to stop pretty frequently to stretch knee. Advantage: meeting some nice Mexican folks along the way, speaking Spanish, learning about their lives. Dehydration a problem after stomach bug...damn I hate Gatorade! Cocos frios much better. Will post more later to RR.
With an injury like that, and the flu, I'd never left Zipolite. When any excuse would do, you had two!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 03-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #14273
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Dedangerfying Mexico

That's a real word, right? (Dedangerfying, for you Tapatalkers)

IMO the greatest risk factors for Mexico riders, unless you're going to stay out late getting drunk and shagging putas, are road and traffic conditions. One way to improve your skills, even if sticking to pavement, is to take a dirt riding class like the MSF course taught near Austin. I rode my WR250R out there but several small bikes are available and covered by the fee. As is lunch and riding around Hidden Falls Adv Park after.

I was pleased with the manners of the WRR (only 2nd ride) and impressed with what I could easily take on after some instruction.

Then I thought back on my biffs in Mexico. With shame. What just a little prior instruction would have done for me.

Even riding pavement such skills, IMO, are essential for riding Mexico.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #14274
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Zipo to Zihua

You got that right Schizz but I have a date with my daughter in Zihua. I will have a week to R&R there.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:03 AM   #14275
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Schizz,

I would echo that just for the regular beginner MSF class. Even experienced riders who have never had formal training can benefit from that class. I also find that reading and practice drills from books like Proficient Motorcycling also help.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #14276
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
That's a real word, right? (Dedangerfying, for you Tapatalkers)

IMO the greatest risk factors for Mexico riders, unless you're going to stay out late getting drunk and shagging putas, are road and traffic conditions. One way to improve your skills, even if sticking to pavement, is to take a dirt riding class like the MSF course taught near Austin. I rode my WR250R out there but several small bikes are available and covered by the fee. As is lunch and riding around Hidden Falls Adv Park after.

I was pleased with the manners of the WRR (only 2nd ride) and impressed with what I could easily take on after some instruction.

Then I thought back on my biffs in Mexico. With shame. What just a little prior instruction would have done for me.

Even riding pavement such skills, IMO, are essential for riding Mexico.

I learned this:

videoassayulita 005 from Bato on Vimeo.

From you, Schizz
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #14277
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
Bato
Though I would have waited on passing that truck on the curve, but then again, I am more prudent and slow.

Bato's video illustrates very well, how many Mexican drivers don't understand the 3 lane method or simply refuse to use it. The video also shows what an extra 400cc and about 30 more horsepower will save on your laundry bills if you are thinking about trying those moves on an 800cc. Nice work!
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #14278
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Bato
Though I would have waited on passing that truck on the curve, but then again, I am more prudent and slow.

Bato's video illustrates very well, how many Mexican drivers don't understand the 3 lane method or simply refuse to use it. The video also shows what an extra 400cc and about 30 more horsepower will save on your laundry bills if you are thinking about trying those moves on an 800cc. Nice work!
Kettle pot black the calling

Rearrange these words into a popular phrase!

I remember a certain someone who was going to take it easy on the way home due to a bolloxed fuel pump regulator...and then disappearing into the distance...trucks on bends or not!

Do I need to post the video?

Horsepower, and brakes and suspension travel... Prerequisites for happy Mexican bike riding IMO

Oh, if you want a peaceful ride on a 3 lane highway here, stay in the inside lane. Apart from the odd truck, you'll have it to yourself!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #14279
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I remember a certain someone who was going to take it easy on the way home due to a bolloxed fuel pump regulator...and then disappearing into the distance...trucks on bends or not!
I had to, I couldn't miss my favorite soap opera!
The episode where the Harley guy crosses the yellow line in time to a Bob Seger tune blasting on the stereo.

That ought to wake someone up at their desk in Africa.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #14280
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
IMO? My brain has misplaced the translation...

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote