Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #14686
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,248
Old 04-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #14687
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
My bad I spelled it wrong right intentions tho.Life is too short to take serious anymore
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #14688
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,119
Quote:
Kudos to you, SOG, for knowing better (although you were fun to be around once we got past the Border ).
lol. You had your moments, too, brother.

I know myself pretty well. And I know I'm not likely to change. No moto tours or classes or lessons in my future. Pretty content with that, too. (Oh, I know there is plenty left for me to learn. I just have no interest in learning it.)

I hate border crossings and the fact that I don't speak Spanish just adds to the "fun" of crossing into Mexico. I also hate all airports, hospitals, and train stations. Truth be told, I would visit Mexico far more often if there were an express "pay quadruple the price" line. In fact, I would gladly hire a professional "expediter" every time. (So if any of you border locals want a side business, there may well be others that would pay an "expediting" fee.)

As to the ex-Pancho Villa gang, the friend who has the highly negative report on one of his tours is an independent, opinionated rider. In fact, I believe his positive experiences are the outlier. He just got exceedingly lucky on his Copper Canyon tour and ended up with a bunch of hard charging Euro bikers, hell bent for adventure, and got a guide who loosened the reins. A bunch. Might have just dropped them. ;)

Hmmmm. My personality and somebody telling me what to do and/or how to do it? Yeah. That's probably not the best idea. For either side. Historically, that hasn't worked out real well.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 06:27 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #14689
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 812
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Nah Jick, maybe too much coffee in the AM but no cocktails, I just fall asleep after those. Thanks for pointing out the moral dilemma of my position and statement. The party in question has every right to be ignorant but he does not have any particular right to blatantly display his ignorance. I realize that not everyone can afford the free education that is provided to most of us in the US of A. It is also not the first time that you have taken it upon yourself to bring me up short for my faults. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa but I have worked hard to be a, hopefully, intelligent curmudgeon. What have you done for the world lately?
Your attack on the character of Rebel Yell just didn't jive with your comment about getting along. You may possibly be accurate in your characterization, but it doesn't really foster an open and welcoming discussion does it? This is an internet forum. Nothing more. Yes there are regular posters who share their knowledge and opinions more frequently than others. Thats fine, but other folks just pop by from time to time and enjoy the odd post. Lets not assassinate them because we don't agree with what they have to say or they don't in your opinion know enough about the "real Mexico". Thats what they invented high school for You are indeed an "intelligent curmudgeon" and I envy your writing skills and for the most part enjoy reading your posts.
As for what have i done for the world lately. I invested in and rebuilt numerous businesses which I still own. I employ approximately 225 people. Payroll is somewhere in the vicinity of $700,000 per month. My employees all have health care and dental coverage. During the recession I didn't lay off my employees and we managed the businesses through the rough waters and now are looking on the bright side of life.
I give time and or money to charities of my choosing, friends, and family. Outside of that i ride my motorcycles, read "Is Mexico Safe" and stay humble(IMHO). You asked! I'm not looking for a fight nor to make enemies. Life's too short for that. Anything further should go to PM. Peace

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #14690
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
. Truth be told, I would visit Mexico far more often if there were an express "pay quadruple the price" line. In fact, I would gladly hire a professional "expediter" every time. l

There was some sort of expedited lane at the Reynosa/Hildalgo crossing that was very, very seldom used. Beyond that I couldn't tell you but you can get per-cleared on the US side somehow.

In Laredo everyone expects motorcycles to work their way to the front of the line, even if that means riding against traffic in the wrong lane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #14691
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
[QUOTE=slowoldguy;21148894]lol. You had your moments, too, brother.

I hate border crossings and the fact that I don't speak Spanish just adds to the "fun" of crossing into Mexico. I also hate all airports, hospitals, and train stations. Truth be told, I would visit Mexico far more often if there were an express "pay quadruple the price" line. In fact, I would gladly hire a professional "expediter" every time. (So if any of you border locals want a side business, there may well be others that would pay an "expediting" fee.)

SOG....I know what you mean.....I imported both of my bikes mainly because I hate going through the border waltz....last July coming through Janos (which is where I have always had the worst time interning) the guard went to the back of my bike, saw my Mexican plate, and pushed me through faster than I could get my paperwork out
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #14692
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Not to hijack the discussion, but I have never heard any of my Mexican friends used the Spanish equivalent of the word 'hate' in conversation. Instead you will hear 'no me gusta', and that translates to 'I do not like'.

So I pulled out my Barron's 501 Spanish verbs book and looked up 'hate'. Not one of the top 501 Spanish verbs listed, however, in the index there is a cross reference to 'detestar' and 'odiar'. Maybe in other areas of Mexico, those verbs are used, but in these parts not.

Always found that interesting for some reason, just another difference in culture I suppose.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #14693
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
[QUOTE=rockymountainoyster;21147196]...after spending a cold and foodless night in the ruins of a mining town.QUOTE]

Hell, RockyO, I've done that in mining towns where the mines were still operating!

For the record, there is no fee for tours in Veracruz. It's like the old Pythagorean brotherhood, we actually give you a choice of good whiskies just for showing up!

MikeMike screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 08:10 PM
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #14694
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Is Mexico Safe?

lol. Kiko. I have other words, too. I despise and detest and loathe border crossings. Any of those make the verb list?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #14695
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Not to hijack the discussion, but I have never heard any of my Mexican friends used the Spanish equivalent of the word 'hate' in conversation. Instead you will hear 'no me gusta', and that translates to 'I do not like'.

So I pulled out my Barron's 501 Spanish verbs book and looked up 'hate'. Not one of the top 501 Spanish verbs listed, however, in the index there is a cross reference to 'detestar' and 'odiar'. Maybe in other areas of Mexico, those verbs are used, but in these parts not.

Always found that interesting for some reason, just another difference in culture I suppose.
Kiko, you are correct. "Odio" is used with reservation throughout the Spanish-speaking world. When it is used, things usually don't end nicely.

Quote:
lol. Kiko. I have other words, too. I despise and detest and loathe border crossings. Any of those make the verb list?
I like border crossings into Mexico. To me it's an uplifting event. It's a crossing, it's an arrival.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #14696
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Is Mexico Safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post

I like border crossings into Mexico. To me it's an uplifting event. It's a crossing, it's an arrival.
:Huh Uplifting?

As I think most everybody knew, I was not commenting on the actual crossing of the border. That part has always been relatively simple ( although it appears at Pharr that red/green light sensors are not set for motorcycles) . It is the permitting part that I hate. And I can't imagine that part would be uplifting. To anybody.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #14697
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
:Huh Uplifting?

As I think most everybody knew, I was not commenting on the actual crossing of the border. That part has always been relatively simple ( although it appears at Pharr that red/green light sensors are not set for motorcycles) . It is the permitting part that I hate. And that part ain't uplifting.
Permitting has always been easy for me. I do it via internet, then get the tourist card when I cross. No problemo. Have never had an issue.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #14698
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Good for you.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #14699
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,026
The tone around here has become really unpleasant. Can we go back to hating on loose donkeys and high-altitude topes instead of each other?

This isn't "Is the "is Mexico safe" forum, safe?" (I really have no idea how to punctuate that properly) but you get the drift.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #14700
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
The tone around here has become really unpleasant. Can we go back to hating on loose donkeys and high-altitude topes instead of each other?

This isn't "Is the "is Mexico safe" forum, safe?" (I really have no idea how to punctuate that properly) but you get the drift.
LOL!! If only you could read the PM's!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote