Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #14716
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
So the white Escalade with gold wheels should give a person pause? ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #14717
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Kiko is right.
kiko tiene la sabiduría de las edades
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #14718
PirateJohn
Banned

The other side of the coin would be are the bad guys really a threat to us, assuming we don't get caught in a crossfire? Usually they are looking out for the military or rival cartels, and that ain't us.

Some of the kids were stealing from travelers awhile back because they hasn't been paid, but that seems like the exception rather than the rule.

Thoughts?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #14719
PirateJohn
Banned

Interesting article on a Canadian couple that wandered en Mexico and then settled. Goes a long way towards demonstrating what is really important.

http://www.banderasnews.com/1304/vl-...4DOcQ.facebook

Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #14720
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Bad guys can be unpredictable. A lot of these guys spent time in prison in the states so don't be surprised if you find they have an ax to grind with north americans. When the Calif economy fell on hard times a few years back, they did an early release and deported thousands of Mexican nationals.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #14721
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Kiko is right. If you spend enough time in the rural areas you'll notice the boots, the haircut, jewelery, the hat, the shirt, and other things that just don't add up right.
You can spot the difference.
Problem is, you have to get close to them to see what kind of clothes and jewelry they are wearing. I don't want to get close to any of them.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #14722
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
Problem is, you have to get close to them to see what kind of clothes and jewelry they are wearing. I don't want to get close to any of them.
Bingo! Before you can have a "successful" encounter with any if these guys you must first commit to the encounter and that's the problem. I've only been stopped once by vigilantes (Copper Canyon area) and had no trouble but it seems this kind of activity is on the rise all around Mexico. As others have posted it's important to agree as a group how to respond to armed men waiving you to stop. If I have no real way to avoid them I'll stop.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #14723
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,507
I'm with kiko and trice on this. My add is...

Anytime I am stopped...I stop. Engine off. I dismount, helmet off, gloves off, I initiate the approach, walk over, introduce myself and shake hands, then ask, "que se le ofrece senhores?" I believe this stopped me from getting robbed once when two gentlemen wanted to know the time of day. I think walking towards them and then giving a formal greeting alrmed them somewhat.

With the police or military this has always been met with respectful dialog. In fact when they do stop me I usually ask more questions of them than they ask of me. I get a lot of good info from them too. Sometimes we talk army stuff, which is always a good ice-breaker.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #14724
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Bad guys can be unpredictable. A lot of these guys spent time in prison in the states so don't be surprised if you find they have an ax to grind with north americans. When the Calif economy fell on hard times a few years back, they did an early release and deported thousands of Mexican nationals.
This is why my helmet and bike sport large British flag decals. They already know I'm foreign, I'm just being specific
Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #14725
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
I'm with kiko and trice on this. My add is...

Anytime I am stopped...I stop. Engine off. I dismount, helmet off, gloves off, I initiate the approach, walk over, introduce myself and shake hands, then ask, "que se le ofrece senhores?" I believe this stopped me from getting robbed once when two gentlemen wanted to know the time of day. I think walking towards them and then giving a formal greeting alrmed them somewhat.

With the police or military this has always been met with respectful dialog. In fact when they do stop me I usually ask more questions of them than they ask of me. I get a lot of good info from them too. Sometimes we talk army stuff, which is always a good ice-breaker.

For us minimalist Spanish speakers, could you please provide the translation ?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #14726
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Interesting article on a Canadian couple that wandered en Mexico and then settled. Goes a long way towards demonstrating what is really important.

http://www.banderasnews.com/1304/vl-...4DOcQ.facebook

That guy's an old ex-NDP'er who jumped ship to the Liberals and then got whacked by a Tory.

Can I start a collection to send him back?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #14727
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Good for you.
Apologies. I knew what you meant and wasn't trying to be snarky. Yes, the clerking at the border can be a hassle for some.

I'm fortunate I can speak the language (I'm a Latino) and can breeze through this process quite easily. I get a lot of sidebar conversations with the folks doing the paperwork too and often pick up a lot of G2 about areas I am heading towards. I even had one female clerk ask me to stop by and see her if I was crossing back the same way, not that I am anything special. Generally the dialog starts with me right at the border. On the first crossing I did on a bike at Acuna (keep in mind I had been to Mexico many times in the past, but not on a bike) the tourist card clerk asked where I was heading. I told him I would be in the Saltillo area. He gave me the names of three excellent restauarants, told me about the paleo museum, etc. He was from there. So for me the border has always been an easy experience.

I know the border can be a hassle to others. Just offerring my perspective and not a correction to anything that you may have said. I inferred nothing negative about your opinion, and all experiences and opinions do need to be posted here, so thanks for that

Old 04-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #14728
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
For us minimalist Spanish speakers, could you please provide the translation ?
"How can I help you?"

or

"What can I offer you?"

Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #14729
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
That guy's an old ex-NDP'er who jumped ship to the Liberals and then got whacked by a Tory.

Can I start a collection to send him back?

Be nice now. He's retired. ;)

Seriously, I don't follow Canadian politics but do remember thinking that if he was burned out he certainly moved far, far away.

Then again, that's how Davey Crockett wound up in Texas. He lost an election in Tennessee and was so disgusted that he left. Too bad that he made that little stop at the Alamo.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #14730
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,655
Ole Davey wasn't a master of timing.