Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #14746
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Ouch! Mike Mike... lighten up! Some of us like to stop and smell the carnitas...
...or the nalgitas

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #14747
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing the pics. I had dinner in Saltillo at a very nice restaurant, but I cannot recall the name. I'm thinking of maybe riding down that way some time.
Here are the pics from the El Tapanco restaurant in Saltillo. That's me with the motorcycle "dress" jacket at the bar These pics are from an old ride report. I take down my pics after a few weeks, but some of y'all may remember these. I don't really write ride reports anymore, but do give snippets of info as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Crap. How come I didn't know that
You probably forgot

Sign from the sidewalk.
(deleted)

As you walk in you see the interior FRONT patio.
(deleted)

The REAR patio where I like to eat.
(deleted)

The FRONT interior patio, different view.
(deleted)

This was a simple light lunch. I had set out on a walking tour of Saltillo. Met a ton of people. Great place for evening dinner too.
(deleted)

Friends I made. Norma's brothers and cousins. Very nice bar, classy place to go with the restaurant. There are classy women who visit this place. I'm happily married, but it is indeed nice to get talked to by the local ladies and also to meet some of the local society. I'm just a stranger but have always been treated like royalty in Mexico. I'm a little fatter here than in my avatar, which is more recent. I've slimmed down more now.
(deleted)

Two doors up is an Irish bar.
(deleted)

I've mentioned this before, but most reasonably sized towns and small cities will have a Casa de Cultura, a cultural center of the arts. I always stop in to visit one of these. Usually there is a nylon string guitar laying around, so I just pick it up and start playing. Easy way to make friends during a trip.
(deleted)

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 09:59 AM
Old 04-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #14748
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Ten minutes ago. Received an alert from Televisa
saying that a moderate 6.1 Richter earthquake had struck with
epicenter at Chetumal , QR
Might put a ripple on Chetumal Bay and a tsunami of
sorts at COROZAL , Belize coast.
My friends in Tegucigalpa have been commenting on facebook that they felt it.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 04-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #14749
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
No worries, RockyO, Schizz is a great guy to follow. I noticed this when he got fed up with trying to figure out the mobius strip corner lines I was drawing and decided to do his own.
Smart man, probably why he has been able to reach such an old age.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #14750
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,615
Thanks Mike. Just wish I was smart enough to figure a way to work my job from down there.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #14751
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
Ha ! I'd like to work my retirement down there.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #14752
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Thanks Mike. Just wish I was smart enough to figure a way to work my job from down there.
Smart enough?
Schizz, if you were old, handsome, a good rider, AND smart....you would be me!

Couldn't resist that one. The new bartender who replaced Antonio at the Rivoli has been asking about when those big spender gringo-gueros are coming through again. He's still young, he'll learn ha,ha...but he has a sneaking suspicion they are my imaginary friends or something.

When you get down here, or even if you are booking on through hauling the mail south into Oaxaca or something, I'll show you the routing for the Cerro Secreto. You are seriously going to enjoy this ride. In fact, anyone who is coming through can drop down through the San Luis Potosi route into the Huasteca Alta region, head to Papantla and then ride from there to Altotonga, and then pick up the Teziutlan Massif volcanic paved high elevation and altiplano route and drop right into Oaxaca all on great roads.
The Cerro Secreto is another link in the chain. If you are hungry, and never had a cemita poblana you'll be in for a treat. Hopefully, Hektoglider will come back again through here and I can set him up with this route, too.

Remember, repeat this, "The maps are wrong, the maps are wrong"...

Another reason to stay off that damned Mex #180.

MikeMike screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 04:06 PM
Old 04-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #14753
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Schizzman, there is a lot of work in Mexico for Geologists and according to this diagram I believe that you are qualified.
Schizz, I'm a petroleum engineer. If you want to meet geologists, Saltillo is the place for you. I met some geos from the paleo museum in Saltillob at a party. Really good peeps. One of them is also a famous sculptor there in Saltillo.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #14754
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Mexican drug homicides fall 14 percent at start of Pena Nieto's term

http://reut.rs/10MwNZn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #14755
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Mexican drug homicides fall 14 percent at start of Pena Nieto's term

http://reut.rs/10MwNZn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
And your point is?? Mexico is safer? Pena Nieto has developed accommodation skills?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #14756
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Schizz, I'm a petroleum engineer. If you want to meet geologists, Saltillo is the place for you. I met some geos from the paleo museum in Saltillob at a party. Really good peeps. One of them is also a famous sculptor there in Saltillo.
Thanks Mike. According to SR's graphic I'm at least half qualified.
But I'll probably stick with Si and not try to expand to all those other elements.
After all, they think I'm over paid here on a job I actually know how to do.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #14757
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
After all, they think I'm over paid here on a job I actually know how to do.
I have that problem too!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #14758
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Homicides down?
Not really. A lot of people don't know what is slowly but surely happening here in Mexico. What Pena Nieto is doing is merely controlling the press much like the PRI did for seven decades. News gatherers are being controlled and the truth is only getting out through certain parts of the media that are totally independent and strong enough to not be bullied. These are few and far between. Yesterday, a state newscast anchor was fired for "not being controllable". There are two newspapers in the entire state here (a long held PRI bastion except for the municipalities of Veracruz and Boca del Rio which went PRI last time but are likely to return to PAN as they had been for almost 20 years now) that are what someone would call "free press". Notiver and El Buen Tono are two papers and they burned the El Buen Tono installations two years ago but the publisher and owner is a very strong willed individual who rebuilt the installations and cranked up the presses once again. Craneguy remembers when we met him (remember that Merc with the women in it, Steve, when you were buying your tires?).
The rest of the media here is basically as state run as it is in North Korea.
Though I think the North Korean leader is likely more rational and smarter than the current PRIsta that passes for a governor here.

Repeat this phrase (like the one about the maps)..."The numbers lie, the numbers lie".

Pena Nieto is simply trying to bring back the cacique and caudillo days of power in the tradition of the brutally ignorant leadership Mexico has suffered through from the likes of Callas and a cast of truly evil people.

Woo hoo! Do I feel better after that little rantito!
Time for a beer.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #14759
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Well this is for you guys who can't stay out of the wrong places when in Mexico, even though this place is in Spain

Old 04-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #14760
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,106
Is Mexico Safe?

Quote:
+1.

In my early years of border crossings I just wanted to get through the experience without screwing up (i.e., Day/Month/Year) but over time I began experiencing the genuine kindness and helpfulness of many of the border personnel and came to appreciate both their input as well as their interest in my travels. There is among the Mexicans, I think, a strong appreciation for the US traveler who comes to discover the real Mexico, having left all preconceived notions and fears behind.
Uhhh...yeah. I checked again. Still hate the border crossings. ;).

Edit: But I do hate Pharr far less than the big crossing up river.

It's not fear. There are just silly bureaucratic rules. I hate silly bureaucratic places in the US. Why would Mexico be any different? Case in point. Nobody (who didn't already know where to turn in their documents at Pharr) would ever find that little building much less how to get to it. Cost us a trip back around and another fee and a stern look for our adventurous way to the building. ;) And that getting the copy made at a separate clerk station? That shit is straight out of Monty Python. ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 06:36 PM
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote