Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #14806
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Sales Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
I Dont get it??? are you selling swim suits now??
That is tricepilot in the black trunks down on the end with his hands in an unknown location.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #14807
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

La Hermosilla to Mismaloya

This was a really nice ride on Mexico 200. There is only one really straight stretch and a couple of miles of gravel where they are improving the road. The Mexican drivers take some pleasure in passing you on that stuff and kicking dust and gravel in your face. The answer is, of course, to go faster than they can.... not something I am likely to do on a changing gravel surface... witnessed the consequences of that in SA, and my Ohlins front shock has started leaking oil... bummer... still got a long way home. It is 125 miles from La Hermosilla to Mismaloya. Mismaloya Cove is where John Huston filmed "Night of The Iguana" in 1963. (Released in '64) Mr. Huston had a little house a few coves down, at Yelapa, where I had the pleasure of recording him, in 1983, as the narrator for my National Geographic Special "Flight of the Whooping Crane" (On the air in 1984) No evidence of any criminal activity on this section of 200. There were several recently felled trees that they had cleared off to the side of the road so be aware that this could happen. No gas the first 75 miles or so north except at the little stores with gasolina signs. Three or four stations the last 50 or so miles though the first one did not have premium.

rockymountainoyster screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 07:13 AM
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #14808
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Ride Reports??

Is it just me who has noticed? I for one have stopped posting ride reports on MEX (laziness). I know there are a few others who have stopped as well. Also, I have noticed that real time ride reports in Mexico seam to have ceased and almost nobody is leaving real time tracks on Spot or Spotwalla.

Is this a security thing ya think?

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:24 AM   #14809
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Caleta de Campos, Guerrero

This was my first stop as I headed North from Zihuatanejo to La Hermosilla.

"Blow Hole" near the Faro (Lighthouse) at Caleta de Campos, Guerrero

Beach at Caleta de Campos

Point and Cove at West End of Caleta de Campos. Faro (Lighthouse) is the right of the frame. You can see why they might need it! Treacherous jagged point.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #14810
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Security Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Is it just me who has noticed? I for one have stopped posting ride reports on MEX (laziness). I know there are a few others who have stopped as well. Also, I have noticed that real time ride reports in Mexico seam to have ceased and almost nobody is leaving real time tracks on Spot or Spotwalla.

Is this a security thing ya think?
No, it is a pain in the ass thing. It takes time to post real time and I for one, on riding days, don't have extra time. Without a good high speed connection posting photos using smug mug is a real pain in the ass. Have to load em up, load em down... wait, wait, wait for both processes, I like to preview them. Tracks? Every time I stop I send a SPOT check in to my "list of ten". I quit using the tracking feature way back...except for my ride with Mike Mike and that is a sworn secret! All of this technology just interferes with the experience. If I knew a simple way to post my SPOT locations here I would do so but I don't want to wade through all of the instructions and attempts to make it work. When I am riding I want to ride and take the occasional photo. When I am stopped... I want to enjoy far niente. Right now I have a good internet connection and time so I am putting some stuff up. I hope people enjoy my humble offerings.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #14811
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
No, it is a pain in the ass thing...If I knew a simple way to post my SPOT locations here I would do so but I don't want to wade through all of the instructions and attempts to make it work. When I am riding I want to ride and take the occasional photo. When I am stopped... I want to enjoy far niente. Right now I have a good internet connection and time so I am putting some stuff up. I hope people enjoy my humble offerings.
Yeah, yeah...I'm with you on the pain in the ass thing. But actually your rr is what I would consider as being a real time report. As for SPOT, the Spotwalla link is something that I set up before the ride starts. Then I just leave SPOT turned on during the ride, off at night and back on in the morning. To me it's easier than sending a deliberate "OK" ping so often. Spotwalla also leaves your tracks up and you can imbed the link. Here's an example for a recent short ride here in the Houston area. I confirm that it is a pain in the ass to get it setup the first time. Once that is done, then it's easy. Anyone wants the know-how on this contact me in the background.

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 09:56 AM
Old 04-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #14812
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Finished the 250 mile Stage 1 off road enduro in the Texas Hill Country on the Katoom 500.

Overnight in Kerrville. Gave Bato a ring but he ain't home.

250 mile Stage 2 mañana back to Junction

500 mile dirt warm up for Baja
Sorry I missed your call the iphone was in silence while i was taking a nap
staying indoors due to windy conditions but I will be in Junction tonight to check your bike before I order mine
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #14813
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Trice bike.

Bato, maybe you should ride it before you order one. After you ride it you can order two!
Old 04-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #14814
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Is it just me or does Pedro's post have 300 inches of html code in it?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #14815
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Is it just me or does Pedro's post have 300 inches of html code in it?
Wow! I hope it's just you. Your browser has to support "iframe" or the googlemap won't show. What you should be seeing is a googlemap with a trace of a 140-mile loop around Galveston Island. Could be your browser. Are you on a PC? Smart phone?

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 01:39 PM
Old 04-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #14816
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Wow! I hope it's just you. Your browser has to support "iframe" or the googlemap won't show. What you should be seeing is a googlemap with a trace of a 140-mile loop around Galveston Island. Could be your browser. Are you on a PC? Smart phone?
Smartphone. Tapatalk.

Phonee no seem as smartee now...
Old 04-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #14817
noshoes
soñando con México

Oddometer: 2,059
I'm back in Arizona, and can now report that that if you are on a diet, then "No, Mexico is not safe". I gained 7 lbs in a week. And loved every minute of it.

Mole is soooo good.

And worst of all, my heart was stolen by this little guy.

Guess I'll have to keep going back to teach him to ride a moto...
Old 04-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #14818
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Casa-...65761893434108

I know I have mentioned these before, but these casas de cultura are also a good way to meet locals. The above is the link for the one in Zacatecas. You can see where local concerts are listed, indie movies playing, where artsy-fartsy things are happening, etc. The casas very from city to city on the level of activities. Zacatecas, is of course a major art center in Mexico, and a place with a great art history. I'm planning a one week trip. Going down in a couple of months. Destination type ride. Still debating on scenic routes via secondary roads or whether to just slab it down 57/54. Depends on time allotted.

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 01:57 PM
Old 04-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #14819
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Smartphone. Tapatalk.

Phonee no seem as smartee now...
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was all excited about smartphones because I thought they were just like PC's.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #14820
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
[QUOTE=Pedro Navaja;

I'm planning a one week trip. Going down in a couple of months. Destination type ride. Still debating on scenic routes via secondary roads or whether to just slab it down 57/54. Depends on time allotted.[/QUOTE]

Pedro Navaja.....when you get to Zacatecas PM if you get a chance....I'm good for dinner when you are in the area
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote