Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #14881
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
This was a good easy ride of a little over 100 miles. The cuota and libre pretty much parallel each other and the traffic is light on the libre so you can make pretty good time. As in so many places in Mexico they are doing road improvements so the libre will be as good as the quota in the parts that they are working on. I chose to take the cuota for the last part of the route so I wouldn't have to go through Esquinapa... just wanted to save time and get to the hotel I had reserved. The hotel, Playa Mazatlan, was recommended by Skip Mascorro of MotoDiscovery and is really first rate. I chose an Ocean Front room at $107/night, the most I have spent in Mexico, and it is worth every penny. The room is huge, the bed is comfortable, there is filtered water from a tap (I used the SteriPen anyway, better safe than sorry), the restaurant is good and if you book the room on line you get a credit voucher for $14/US which brings the room cost down to $93. While it is good and possible to be frugal here in Mexico (my dinner of birria and a beer in Acaponeta was delicious and cost $45 pesos around $3.75US) It is nice to splurge once in awhile on food and lodging. There are some great restaurants in Puerto Vallarta and the prices reflect the quality.

Today on to the ferry around 1PM for a 4PM departure and 10AM arrival in La Paz. It will be great to see the sun setting over the Sea of Cortez... at some point during the voyage we will cross the Tropic of Cancer. Mazatlan is just South of it La Paz is North. The ferry is not cheap. For me, the bike and a standard room (recommended by many folks) it is $2733. MP or around $226. US. I am really doing it for the experience of an overnight sea voyage at the mouth of the Sea of Cortez. I am looking forward to it... the expected delays and hassles and all!

Manaña
+1 on Playa Maz hotel. Great place to splurge on a trip. And MAZ has the best sunsets on the west coast, IMO.

Does the "standard room" include a sleeping berth? How many hours to make the crossing?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #14882
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Not necessary or required to produce a title. If someone was completely paranoid about this, they could make a color copy of their original title and have a Mexican Notario stamp it for them. My guess is the Notario would probably charge something like 250 pesos.

Some expats do that because they are on the local Transito "Client" list.
I've yet to find a notary here that will do anything for less than a thousand pesos, and they'll probably tell you that you need a translation too.

Notarys in Mexico are not the same as the US. There are only so many allowed per so many population, so it's an incredibly lucrative profession. All the ones around here have huge office buildings and dozens (maybe hundreds) of staff.

My factura isn't notarized but I had no problem registering it.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #14883
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Don't forget to ask for the key chain barcode tag from OXXO when you first top-up. You then just tell them how much you want to charge and they waft it over the scanner. It takes about 30 seconds. Very convenient.

Oh, and my spies inform me that Telcel will be offering 4G data soon (LTE I believe) Anyone else thinking "live ride report"?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #14884
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
A bit more info on the recently reopened Boquillas crossing into Mexico.
So if you miss the last boat on Sunday then you are out of luck if the Boquillas Hilton is booked, correct?

Kinda surprised that the Mexicans are requiring tourist cards in a frontier area, but what the heck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #14885
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Does the "standard room" include a sleeping berth? How many hours to make the crossing?
plus one on the sunsets part....

the last time I crossed La Paz to Maz about 18 hours, the standard room was quite nice, 4 bunks and a bath with shower,
and it's not hard to find some one to share it with if you want to bring the price down, the last time I got a cute little Chinese couple with me, they were exploring Mexico by car...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!!!
going south is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #14886
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Question Title or registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
On another forum, somebody is claiming they have been asked downrange to produce their title at checkpoints, and once after an accident.

This has never, ever, no not once, been part of my experience.

I've seen titles used to obtain TVIPs, but there I use my registration. I've commented on this many, many times.

In fact, I've never brought my title to Mexico.

Anyone ever been asked to produce their bike title "downrange" inside Mexico?

I wanted to do a little homework before I replied "on the other forum"

My bet is that the person asking for a title did not know what he was asking for...like SR said they don't have titles down here. I would also bet that if you show your registration it would be accepted, and probably the person asking would not know the difference..
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #14887
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
On another forum, somebody is claiming they have been asked downrange to produce their title at checkpoints, and once after an accident.

This has never, ever, no not once, been part of my experience.

I've seen titles used to obtain TVIPs, but there I use my registration. I've commented on this many, many times.

In fact, I've never brought my title to Mexico.

Anyone ever been asked to produce their bike title "downrange" inside Mexico?

I wanted to do a little homework before I replied "on the other forum"
I think the term "title" spoken by a Mexican national means both title or registration. Not sure, but I suspect most Mexican border folks and police don't know the nuances of US title/registration paperwork. There are 50 different US states, issuing 50 different looking "titles". I get asked for title, I show registration, although that's only been at the border.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #14888
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
My bet is that the person asking for a title did not know what he was asking for...like SR said they don't have titles down here. I would also bet that if you show your registration it would be accepted, and probably the person asking would not know the difference..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I think the term "title" spoken by a Mexican national means both title or registration. Not sure, but I suspect most Mexican border folks and police don't know the nuances of US title/registration paperwork. There are 50 different US states, issuing 50 different looking "titles". I get asked for title, I show registration, although that's only been at the border.
You both have hit the nail on the head.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #14889
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,411
So what if they ask for the title? Big deal. It's not like if you lose it you can't go get another one at the DMV. In fact the one for my motorcycle never arrived from the dealer when I bought the bike. So I just went to the DMV and they printed a new one off for me.

Paint your bike? Just go to the DMV and have them print you off a new one with a different color listed on the title.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #14890
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

The whole issue was a proclamation on another board by a rider who stated that a title was required of him in Mexico several times on one trip:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfromtexas View Post
Title... it was requested from me at the border, at a number of stops and after an accident.
(quoted from twtex.com)

Depending upon how you read "at a number of stops", this could be 4-5 times or more.

I refuted his claim and stated unequivocally that a title isn't required in Mexico other than to obtain a TVIP if a state registration is used.

Bear in mind a few things: (A) It's really no big deal if you want to take your title, (B) As said above, and as I've said before, the title/state registration thing is an issue to gringo travelers and the term title in Mexico often means ownership document, (D) This has been hashed through before in links like

THIS

and

THIS

Couple of other things - Troy is widely traveled and wrote an excellent ride report of riding from Texas, through CA, and up through his time in South America

My only troll here about the title was to sample recent, relevant experiences in being asked for a bike's title in Mexico, to confirm from a wider pool of riders what I've posted over on twtex.com. There just isn't a lot of Mexico riders over there.

Pretty much an underscore for the casual reader - a title is not required for travel in Mexico, unless you are not using a state registration to obtain a TVIP.

If you want to carry it, then carry it. I don't care if you blow your nose with yours
Old 04-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #14891
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Andy, I've battled with embedding too. You have to switch to editor mode by pressing the A/A in the upper right hand corner of the text box then paste the embedded URL.

Here that part is being installed. Durango city was founded on the Cerro Del Mercado iron mine back in the mid 1500s. This mine is still producing and is also owned by AHMSA. The iron concentrate is shipped to Monclova by train and processed in that same plant.
I've noticed in the past few months you can just paste the "share" link and the video embeds.

Did the site get an upgrade?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #14892
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #14893
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Our man Sjoerd is at Casona Tricepilot, and we're enjoying photos of his recent trip south through Mexico to Guatemala

Old 04-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #14894
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Trevor - DCStrom - our Aussie man on the road who is holding up a copy of Sjoerd's book that he got from MikeMike in Veracruz. Mike had two copies of the book and that's how Trevor ended up holding his copy up here in Guatemala

Old 04-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #14895
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Hecktoglider - Karri - who Sjoerd ran into in Xela

And he just happened to be another happy owner of Sjoerd's hotel and travel guides south of the border, that he had in his possession before Sjoerd found him in Guatemala